PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

I drove for Shanks (Shanks & McEwan when I started) for 11 years, have to say a good company to work for, very good money, probably the best in the Bedford area at the time. Good terms and conditions as Shanks & McEwan bought out the waste disposal side of London Brick so we inherited London Brick terms and conditions.

CA4AC1EF-E78F-4188-A221-EF218B27DE05.jpeg

3B09B2A7-A8DC-409E-AC2D-BB6A9D6A82B2.jpeg

To the other extreme, I drove for this ‘outfit ‘ for around one year or just under. Without question the worst company I have ever worked for imo of course.

daibootsy:
Hi Kenfig bill,
Greenings transport were opp S.J.JEFFEY, Fairwood Garage the foden agent.Greenings were no 1 licence opreater in Swansea, est 1856.
the loydd bros from Gowerton was run by Graham & Haydn, Graham passed away couple months ago, the erf was driven by ken McDonald an ex griff fender driver who later bought that erf,they also had another erf which was a left hand drive. the pic of rhydd o pollen silver knight was stolen along with another atky in London,they did have them back months later,and phillip jones had an atky srolen but was never found.
sorry not been on trucknet, sadly lost the sight in left eye, right eye not far off so I had my warning
regaurds dai.

Hello again Dai …and thanks very much forthe Greenings shots …Dad can remember Rhyddopollen having those Atkis stolen …it was said at the time maybe for thier Gardner engines …he adds Dai that you would remember Fred Jones …think they were based on the North dock …they had Atkis …but did they have a 4 wheeler which were unusual around these parts ?
I was always impressed with the Lloyd bros Crusaders !..Do you remember Dai Francis Gorseinon ? …think he had a scrap yard by the Bryngwyn works…the brothers bought one of his Atki Borderers on a M plate …Dai sorry to hear of your sad news concerning your sight . …Geraint

Some nice Volvo’s

A9B36B24-6EC2-44F3-B34A-FC24C7B40958.jpeg

B73DBF6E-BE42-4650-B49B-F9E769208FF1.jpeg

6FD821C2-9AC9-4F43-978F-1FD2F575526E.jpeg

E053B4F5-8E76-4162-A60A-18C9FDE3ECD1.jpeg

I remember meeting-up with the former owner of 665MTB one morning in 2004 in Tarleton, near Preston when he was accompanied by Tom Riding. They’d brought the Beaver and it’s Four-in-line trailer to W H Hulls who were a bodybuilder of some note - to get the trailer refurbished. At that time, the Beaver was almost ready to be painted in the Smiths livery after having had some superficial bodywork repairs, so Martin (the then owner) wanted to get the ball rolling with the trailer. What happened at Tarleton was quite odd. Once in Hull’s compound which was at Plox Mill - next to the Rufford Canal - the arrangements for the trailer literally fell apart in front of us. They basically said they didn’t want to be bothered with the job and told Martin to leave - much to everyone’s bemusement. We retreated to the ■■■■ & Bottle pub for food and ale and a discussion which didn’t really reach a positive conclusion.

A few months later, I was travelling back down the M6 from working on a project at Carlisle Mail Centre and as I was approaching Penrith,with snow starting to fall on us, and I spotted Martin in the Beaver heading north. It puzzled me as to why he would be so far away from home, apparently on his own, but I didn’t linger on the puzzlement for long and forgot about it. A matter of weeks later as I was heading north to close down the same project at Carlisle, who did I see approaching in the opposite direction? Martin in a resplendant Smiths of Eccles unit & trailer combination. Hull’s loss was very definitely another firm’s gain…

Kempston:
I drove for Shanks (Shanks & McEwan when I started) for 11 years, have to say a good company to work for, very good money, probably the best in the Bedford area at the time. Good terms and conditions as Shanks & McEwan bought out the waste disposal side of London Brick so we inherited London Brick terms and conditions.

Hi kempston I drove for shanks in Swansea depot on the rolonoffs till they finished biffa took them over cheers John

Some shanks courtesy of Ron weatherall ,my truck was a Volvo x3sws big Steve and Byron Bradley drove the tankers all trucks had girls names on the visors

65962214-C954-4FF0-813E-89B4BA5C6310.jpeg

34DFBD45-1980-4995-8275-5FE6B6AA8F4C.jpeg

shanks was a tidy firm I liked working there the tankers were on Alberto Swansea taking waste shampoo to avonmouth

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This firm was started by three shanks managers ,erroll Phil and Stuart they undercut shanks for some of the work they sold out to biffa as well ,the Volvo is my mate Kevin’s truck

image.jpeg

marky:
I remember meeting-up with the former owner of 665MTB one morning in 2004 in Tarleton, near Preston when he was accompanied by Tom Riding. They’d brought the Beaver and it’s Four-in-line trailer to W H Hulls who were a bodybuilder of some note - to get the trailer refurbished. At that time, the Beaver was almost ready to be painted in the Smiths livery after having had some superficial bodywork repairs, so Martin (the then owner) wanted to get the ball rolling with the trailer. What happened at Tarleton was quite odd. Once in Hull’s compound which was at Plox Mill - next to the Rufford Canal - the arrangements for the trailer literally fell apart in front of us. They basically said they didn’t want to be bothered with the job and told Martin to leave - much to everyone’s bemusement. We retreated to the ■■■■ & Bottle pub for food and ale and a discussion which didn’t really reach a positive conclusion.

A few months later, I was travelling back down the M6 from working on a project at Carlisle Mail Centre and as I was approaching Penrith,with snow starting to fall on us, and I spotted Martin in the Beaver heading north. It puzzled me as to why he would be so far away from home, apparently on his own, but I didn’t linger on the puzzlement for long and forgot about it. A matter of weeks later as I was heading north to close down the same project at Carlisle, who did I see approaching in the opposite direction? Martin in a resplendant Smiths of Eccles unit & trailer combination. Hull’s loss was very definitely another firm’s gain…

Glad to see its not just me who spots such things :wink:

smallcoal:
This firm was started by three shanks managers ,erroll Phil and Stuart they undercut shanks for some of the work they sold out to biffa as well ,the Volvo is my mate Kevin’s truck

Hi John,
EPS motors was always well turned out, did they work out of SRCL at Bridgend, I think it was them that had a flat trailer that could “kneel” when dropped so they could load a hook lift bin over the front end and one from the rear of the trailer, used to see it near Frome as well! Cheer’s Pete

smallcoal:

Kempston:

Hi kempston I drove for shanks in Swansea depot on the rolonoffs till they finished biffa took them over cheers John

Hi John, I drove a rolonoff too. We used to do all the hazardous stuff from all over the country, we went down to Pontypool quite frequently. We worked out of Brogborough and Stewartby. I finished before you as Brogborough and Stewartby were full. They wanted all of us to relocate but we wouldn’t so we all volunteered redundancy.

Thanks for all the comments and photos from everyone,had a bit of a manic week this week so have
not been able to get on here. :wink:

Clinical Confidential & Hygienie Services MAN.

DCP_0822p.JPG

Anyone recognise the Volvo ■■

DCP_0836p.JPG

Bette MAN.

DCP_0865p.JPG

Cleanaway Volvo skip truck.

DCP_0895p.JPG

Sealand DAF

DCP_0915p.JPG

Evans Transport MAN

DCP_0815p.JPG

Bryans Haulage MAN

DCP_0910p.JPG

Mole Valley Farmers Volvo

DCP_0946p.JPG

Terry Sanders & Son ERF

DCP_0950p.JPG

Comet Volvo

DCP_1077p.JPG

We have had a fair few Seddon Atkinsons 400/401 in these photos.

A00015.JPG

A00022.JPG

A00074.JPG

A00151.JPG

A00182.JPG

A00217.JPG

A00271.JPG

A00278.JPG

A00382.JPG

A00426.JPG

Click on pages twice to read.

Some adverts.

Litt Haul International Scania

A04794p.JPG

Hovis ERF

A04791p.JPG

Anyone recognise the Foden ■■?

A04786p.JPG

Stan Robinson Volvo

A04780p.JPG

John Pearce DAF from South Wales.

A04284p.JPG

Davies Transport DAF from Wales.

A03856p.JPG

Mayhew Volvo F7

A03840p.JPG

B.E.Williams ERF

A03503p.JPG

Richard Wilks tidy leyland.

A04278p.JPG

Turner Bros ERF

ERF .jpg

pete smith:

smallcoal:

Hi John,
EPS motors was always well turned out, did they work out of SRCL at Bridgend, I think it was them that had a flat trailer that could “kneel” when dropped so they could load a hook lift bin over the front end and one from the rear of the trailer, used to see it near Frome as well! Cheer’s Pete

Hi Pete yes they did a lot for them they would take the rolonoffs to Exeter on nights cheers John