PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Wildmans transport based in Kempston which I understand has now been taken over by NMT Crane Hire. They have no where near as many lorries as they used to have sadly.

DCE50C5D-55C2-4C13-A204-0537DB953552.jpeg

DEANB:

dieseldave:
To all the +1s and the rolly eye brigade, I’ve moved the ‘offending’ posts. :smiley:

Rolly eyes and +1s aren’t very helpful because they don’t benefit anybody, so here’s some back at ya!! :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
That’s because I then had to move the quoted posts too. :frowning:

:bulb: If you’d have used the ‘report’ button, it would have got it dealt with far quicker. :wink:

For those interested, the heavy haulage posts have been moved to the… heavy haulage topic.

The others are in the topic called “Past Present and in Between in Pictures”

The posts will appear in time/date order within the topic that they’ve been moved to, so they won’t necessarily be just tacked on the end.

So i come back from having a few days away and see that posts and pics have been removed ■■? :open_mouth:

Why have Kempston’s pics been moved !!! :imp: Not happy about that !

I have always encouraged people to put there pics on here, and who ever complained about them should
stop looking at this thread if they dont like that . People need to remember that apart from being
intresting to other members Paul Gee loves to see other people photos and the articles etc !

Who actually complained ■■?

Hi Dean,
I dont think anyone complained.
A lot of of people who follow Pauls thread and contribute, in no small way, have got used to its layout, that is what we like.
In the past a member has pulled it back into line with no critisisium and to be honest I felt the same was about to happen again.
To be told that if you dont like it, you can go elsewhere to the people who bring the site “alive” is in my opinion a little heavy.
Paul, I am sure, like the rest of us visits other sites for that variety. Harvey

P1001837p.JPGHere’s a few more pictures of Tuffnells.
Some of these are taken at the Oldham depot where they were all based.

YN10 AVE-1.JPG

T3.jpg

R. Whittaker & Sons of Warrington used to pull some of Tuffnells trailers on contract but after 2011 it went mainly in house.

A03558p.JPGWatts Truck Centre in Gloucester.

Believe this particular Guy Big J was a 44 tonne prototype powered by a ■■■■■■■ 290
Photograph courtesy of Derrick Petty

DEANB:
Anyone recognise the Leyland tipper ■■?

Tidy Foden,possibly on contract to Tilcon ■■?

The Welsh Dragon Maggie has been on here a few times.

J.R.Margrett ERF. Looks heavy on the pin.

E & N Ritchie ERF

Watts Truck Centre Guy wrecker.

Foley’s Scania.

W.G.Davies Marathon.

Bert Ivans DAF from Cardiff.

Shepherds Atkinson bulker.

Hello DEAN …great shot of the (WG) Davies Marathon …the Swansea Jack plate names after a local pub near the old Vetch field later appeared on a Hino unit SEP 667Y …thier was also the Fenland express a Crusader named so as it hauled most of its time to Boston docks …and another Crusader bore the name Wicked lady …with a Leominster based driver …nice one Dean …Geraint

moomooland:
Watts Truck Centre in Gloucester.

Believe this particular Guy Big J was a 44 tonne prototype powered by a ■■■■■■■ 290

Paul,
Could this be the same motor?

DEANB:

moomooland:
Hi Dean, Paul & Mark thought i give your great thread a kick start as things seem to have gone a bit pear shaped this last week. :frowning:
This ERF you pictured Paul was operated by a friend of mine Geoff Woodcock of Oldham.
Geoff has been in business for donkeys years for as long as i can remember the company was started in the 1920’s by his grandfather.
here in his old yard at Heyside Oldham a young Geoff Woodcock is about to set off with this load of Flax, a plant fibre which is a raw material used by the paper industry for the use of printed banknotes and also rolling paper for cigarettes and tea bags.
It was destined for the nearby Robert Fletcher paper mill at Greenfield in Saddleworth were they produced cigarette paper.

This Seddon Diesel 32/4 tractor unit Reg No NND 867H was the first brand new vehicle that Geoff Woodcock bought back in 1969.
Pictured here when new and fresh out of the paint shop it is seen here pulling out of Garden Street onto Bell Street Oldham after collecting its first load which was a full load of brand new pallets from pallet manufactures ‘Factory Reconstruction’.
More pictures of Geoff Woodcocks old motors can be found in the Northwest Trucks collection on Flickr
Today Geoff runs around seven tractor units this and the pictures below were taken in his yard in June 2009.

Nice pics and info Paul. My uncle used to have a zepher car like the one in the pic ! :laughing: :wink:

Thanks “JAKEY” and John for your comments ! :wink:

Hi Dean, " That Zephyr " is a Mark 3 " Zodiac " :wink: :wink: Ray.

hi Dean great pics again,re day cab Volvos Ye they were quite rare here’s a couple I drove at BSC Rotherham Bulmers cider also ran them out of Hereford,the sleeper cab model couldn’t couple legally to our 40foot trailers but I suspect most operators disregarded that,cheer Alan

love the Tuffnels pic,here’s one I had out of Shepcote Lane Sheffield

pete smith:

moomooland:
2Watts Truck Centre in Gloucester.

1Believe this particular Guy Big J was a 44 tonne prototype powered by a ■■■■■■■ 290

Paul,

Not unless the chassis has been messed about with,the wrecker looks to be a tipper chassis Pete.

David

5thwheel:

pete smith:

moomooland:
2Watts Truck Centre in Gloucester.

1Believe this particular Guy Big J was a 44 tonne prototype powered by a ■■■■■■■ 290

Paul,

Not unless the chassis has been messed about with,the wrecker looks to be a tipper chassis Pete.

David

It might have been stretched, thinking if it had been the prototype it would be ok to use as a main dealer recovery vehicle? Where is that ROF when you need him?!

moomooland:
5Here’s a few more pictures of Tuffnells.
0R. Whittaker & Sons of Warrington used to pull some of Tuffnells trailers on contract but after 2011 it went mainly in house.

Hi Paul, Great photos of Tuffnells lorries, and also the Roy Whittaker Scanias. Whittakers had a depot at Worthington Way in Wigan
from about 1985, the depot was new to Robert Baillie from 1975. Do you have any pictures of Whittakers or Robert Baillie lorries at
the Wigan site ?. Sainsburys and Macdonalds have occupied the site since 1995. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
Hi Paul, Great photos of Tuffnells lorries, and also the Roy Whittaker Scanias. Do you have any pictures of Whittakers or Robert Baillie lorries at the Wigan site ? Regards, Ray Smyth.

Afraid not Ray only these which i took at Oldham back in April 2009.

By the way the chimney is that of the Lion Mill which was a location used during the filming of the BBC series “Life on Mars”.

moomooland:
Here’s a shot of another Econofreight Atki Chris, again with the Big A removed.

A few companies always removed the badges from the front of their lorries another that springs to mind was Bass Brewery below…

Thanks Paul

Not to mention Whitbread and Marley Tiles…

DEANB:
Foley’s Scania.

I must admit, I don’t remember Foley running Scanias, only Mercedes and some secondhand Atkinsons for local work

Apart from other services they may have operated, B+I Line shared the Pandoro service into Dublin on a 50/50 basis, starting in 1976 - in those far off, pre-open borders era, I was led to understand that their participation was the price of P&O’s access to the port of Dublin. At that time, B+I was a “semi-state corporation” i.e. state owned, but with a remit to operate on a commercial basis and so strive for profit.

B+I operated only a trailer fleet, with no tractors of their own (at least in the U.K.) but. Foley was the nearest thing to their own fleet. I don’t know if it was true, but the tale in the late 1970s was that Mr Foley, or perhaps a relation, was the Transport Minister in Eire, and thus connected with B+I, if only loosely.

One of the Borderers bought secondhand from Pandoro for local work from Fleetwood and Liverpool:

GHG 939N Atkinson Borderer by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

240 Gardner:

moomooland:
Here’s a shot of another Econofreight Atki Chris, again with the Big A removed.

A few companies always removed the badges from the front of their lorries another that springs to mind was Bass Brewery below…

Thanks Paul

Not to mention Whitbread and Marley Tiles…

Has anyone mentioned Denby from Lincoln and Bowmur from Cannock also
B S Eaton they ran orange ERFs I think they were also from Cannock
Used to see them regularly on the A5
Cheers Gary

Hi Paul,one of ridings motors looking a bit sorry

smallcoal:
Hi Paul,one of ridings motors looking a bit sorry

Seddon Atkinson 401 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No C50 OBV Fleet No 72 ‘Vulcan’ was powered by a Gardner 6LYT 16 litre 320 engine.
Registered new on the 1st of June 1986 at a cost of £27,468 plus vat it was driven from new by Alan Bretherton.
The picture above shows it at Longridge after being recovered following an accident coming out of Edinburgh when it went off the road into a ditch.
The damage included a badly bent chassis resulting in the vehicle being totally written off and scrapped.
Fortunately the Gardner 6LYT 320 engine was saved and later transferred into Seddon Atkinson 401 Series tractor unit Reg No D400 SRN.

240 Gardner:

DEANB:
Foley’s Scania.

I must admit, I don’t remember Foley running Scanias, only Mercedes and some secondhand Atkinsons for local work

Apart from other services they may have operated, B+I Line shared the Pandoro service into Dublin on a 50/50 basis, starting in 1976 - in those far off, pre-open borders era, I was led to understand that their participation was the price of P&O’s access to the port of Dublin. At that time, B+I was a “semi-state corporation” i.e. state owned, but with a remit to operate on a commercial basis and so strive for profit.

B+I operated only a trailer fleet, with no tractors of their own (at least in the U.K.) but. Foley was the nearest thing to their own fleet. I don’t know if it was true, but the tale in the late 1970s was that Mr Foley, or perhaps a relation, was the Transport Minister in Eire, and thus connected with B+I, if only loosely.

One of the Borderers bought secondhand from Pandoro for local work from Fleetwood and Liverpool:

GHG 939N Atkinson Borderer by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

Back in the day early 80,s B+ I trailers bought are product from Castlebar ( S.Ireland ) to Warrington for Baxter Healthcare we were on the Grange Ind Est next to the funny shaped building ( Barclays Bank ) and are other neighbour was Rowntree Mac and the next warehouse to use was Ex-import from Cardiff ( I think ) who remembers them white F 88/89,S . Foley,s would be in and out a least 3 times a day with full loads, just thinking about Foleys I,m sure they also had some Merc in plain Orange, not sure if that was before they got painted in the green or different part of the company

Nice pic “Kempston”, thanks for posting. Heres one for you chap ! :smiley: :wink:

2017-07-20 10.43.41.jpg

moomooland:
Tuff Volvo.JPG[/attachment]Here’s a few more pictures of Tuffnells.
R. Whittaker & Sons of Warrington used to pull some of Tuffnells trailers on contract but after 2011 it went mainly in house.

Great pics Paul. I would imagine they are fun to reverse until you get the hang of them ! :laughing: :wink:

moomooland:
Watts Truck Centre in Gloucester.

Nice pic again chap ! :wink:

kenfig bill:

DEANB:
W.G.Davies Marathon.

Hello DEAN …great shot of the (WG) Davies Marathon …the Swansea Jack plate names after a local pub near the old Vetch field later appeared on a Hino unit SEP 667Y …thier was also the Fenland express a Crusader named so as it hauled most of its time to Boston docks …and another Crusader bore the name Wicked lady …with a Leominster based driver …nice one Dean …Geraint

Thanks for the comments Geraint,i thoughbt you would like the Marathon ! :wink:

pete smith:
Paul, Could this be the same motor?

Nice pic Pete ! :smiley:

Ray Smyth:

DEANB:
Nice pics and info Paul. My uncle used to have a zepher car like the one in the pic ! :laughing: :wink:

Hi Dean, " That Zephyr " is a Mark 3 " Zodiac " :wink: :wink: Ray.

Cheers Ray, cant remember much about the Zephyr as i was a kid,but i think they were a big old car back then ! :smiley: