PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

DEANB:
Alexon AEC

Wymondley Transport Seddon Atkinson.

Snap. Apart from we didn’t paint the bottom panel above bumper white. Artistic licence by their paintshop as ours was painted exactly as we were directed

n 1974 we were approached by Steinberg Ltd to provide a vehicle to do a trunk changeover with another vehicle they owned. They had factories at Milton Keynes (where they were based) and West Auckland Near Bishop Auckland near us.Alexon was one of their trade names. An agreement was made and AEC Mercury tractor units were chosen as the prime movers. We put on NUP647M seen below, and the tractor in the photo was theirs. We ran down to Trowel service area on M1 where they travelled to from Milton Keynes and exchanged trailers.
Both these vehicles hadn’t any problems apart from tyre wear in the five years they were operated on this work. At the end of 5 years it was decided to change over to 32 ton GVW tractor units. We chose an ERF with Gardiner 180 and they chose a Seddon Atkinson, again with a Gardiner 180. Again the ERF had no problems at all during the next five years, however I understand the Seddon-Atkinson had quite a few problems and on more than one occasion we had to extend our journey to where they had broken down.
NUP647M was repainted in our cream/brown livery and used in our general fleet until we stopped trading, during that time doing quite a high mileage with no major repairs, totally reliable.

AEC.jpg

HRS:
Moomooland,
Paul, I think I may be guilty of misunderstanding you.
When you said “MORE THREAD CLUTTER” I thought you were refering to recent scantily clad ladies, hence my poor attempt at humour.Now I understand, I fully agree with you and think it may be more to do with not knowing how to do it, rather than being a little lazy.Perhaps someone on this thread could put a simple procedure on here to help out.No offence intended Paul, regards, Harvey

All you have to do Harvey is something like this. The most pics you can post at one time is 10.
Therefore lets say you want to comment on pic number 5. Delete everything below apart
from the last word which should be quote in brackets and delete the top 4 pics and all the
writing you dont want to appear in your message. It will shorten your reply by a huge amount.
The other thing is that you cannot post replies with more than 4 quotesattached.
Remember to use the preview button and it will show you what your message will look like.
It does nothave to be perfect,my replies dont always come out perfect but they are good enough ! cheers Dean :laughing: :wink:

Hi Dean, Thanks for that, however, I was thinking of other members Paul was refering to, who might be having trouble, I think I am slowley geting there :slight_smile:
Thanks anyway, you never stop learning eh !! cheers, Harvey

A04062p.JPG

Atkinson Borderer Reg No LUP 521J was new in November 1970 and was originally operated by C.M Varley & Co of Darlington.

Fortunately it was saved for preservation and underwent a magnificent restoration job taking a number of years.

It is pictured here in 2016 in the livery of J Barrett of Oldham coupled to one of Barrett’s own tankers

Today it can be seen on regular road runs around the Greater Manchester area.
Photographs courtesy of Stuart Kaye and Mark Griffiths.

Restoration of LUP 521J

moomooland:
Those old adverts Dean are full of memories of what it was like back in the day. :slight_smile:
Here’s a few more Freightliner pictures from the 1960’s…

Cracking pics Paul, cant beat the old black and white ones for atmosphere ! :laughing: :wink:

moomooland:
Atkinson Mk II 4x2 tractor unit Reg No UOU 554H was registered new in February 1970 to Churchfields of Salisbury.
It is pictured below in 1977 at a steam fair at Stourpaine Bushes North Dorset while being used as a water bowser.

Another good pic ! As far as i know the Great Dorset Steam Fair i believe is still the largest in the world in
the terms of how many actual traction engines they have on show. :smiley:

Carl Williams:

DEANB:
Alexon AEC

Snap. Apart from we didn’t paint the bottom panel above bumper white. Artistic licence by their paintshop as ours was painted exactly as we were directed
n 1974 we were approached by Steinberg Ltd to provide a vehicle to do a trunk changeover with another vehicle they owned. They had factories at Milton Keynes (where they were based) and West Auckland Near Bishop Auckland near us.Alexon was one of their trade names. An agreement was made and AEC Mercury tractor units were chosen as the prime movers. We put on NUP647M seen below, and the tractor in the photo was theirs. We ran down to Trowel service area on M1 where they travelled to from Milton Keynes and exchanged trailers.
Both these vehicles hadn’t any problems apart from tyre wear in the five years they were operated on this work. At the end of 5 years it was decided to change over to 32 ton GVW tractor units. We chose an ERF with Gardiner 180 and they chose a Seddon Atkinson, again with a Gardiner 180. Again the ERF had no problems at all during the next five years, however I understand the Seddon-Atkinson had quite a few problems and on more than one occasion we had to extend our journey to where they had broken down.
NUP647M was repainted in our cream/brown livery and used in our general fleet until we stopped trading, during that time doing quite a high mileage with no major repairs, totally reliable.

Thanks for the pic and comments Carl ! :smiley: Seddon Atkinson or Seddon Accident !!! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

HRS:
Hi Dean, Thanks for that, however, I was thinking of other members Paul was refering to, who might be having trouble, I think I am slowley geting there :slight_smile: Thanks anyway, you never stop learning eh !! cheers, Harvey

Indeed Harvey,we never stop learning especially on these computers ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

moomooland:
Atkinson Borderer Reg No LUP 521J was new in November 1970 and was originally operated by C.M Varley & Co of Darlington.
Fortunately it was saved for preservation and underwent a magnificent restoration job taking a number of years.
It is pictured here in 2016 in the livery of J Barrett of Oldham coupled to one of Barrett’s own tankers
Today it can be seen on regular road runs around the Greater Manchester area.

More good stuff chap you are on a roll ! :wink:

I may have put this on before ? :unamused:

Thank you DEANB for the Pickford’s Volvo .

Thanks for the Barretts article Dean.

They are still going strong today here’s one of my favorite pictures of their old Atkinson Mk1 Six Wheeler Reg No ODJ 706F.

Greenfield Station.jpg Powered by a Gardner 150 6LX engine it is pictured negotiating the hairpin bend at Greenfield Station in Saddleworth on the 22nd of August 1982.
Originally registered new to Tabern’s of St Helens on the 1st of November 1967 it was sold on and bought for preservation when Colin Barrett retired it.

moomooland:
They are still going strong today here’s one of my favorite pictures of there old Atkinson Mk1 Six Wheeler Reg No ODJ 706F. Powered by a Gardner 150 6LX engine it is pictured negotiating the hairpin bend at Greenfield Station in Saddleworth on the 22nd of August 1982.
Originally registered new to Tabern’s of St Helens on the 1st of November 1967 it was sold on and bought for preservation when Colin Barrett retired it.

Cracking pic chap ! :wink:

DAF 2800

Forestry Commission Bedford.

Derbyshire Stone Albion.

Scotflow Leyland

ERF

Joseph Rice Foden.

P3010002p.JPG

Air Products ERF

P2150009p.JPG

J.A.Alexander Leyland tipper.

P3010022p.JPG

Richard Read ERF

P3010035p.JPG

George Taylor ERF

J248 HHW a.JPG

J248 HHW a.JPGNew in March 1992 this ERF E12 tractor unit Reg No J248 HHW has been fully restored
and saved for preservation in the livery of D & E Beech of Longton Stoke on Trent.

Photograph courtesy of Damian Sharples

Evocative picture of the hill climbing six wheeler Atkinson.

Moral? Be kind to your half - shafts and your Mother.

David

That corner was a bit of a bum clencher with a 70 foot trombone trailer and a ten foot rear overhang!

Retired Old ■■■■:
That corner was a bit of a bum clencher with a 70 foot trombone trailer and a ten foot rear overhang!

For those who don’t know the location the picture below gives you a better perspective of how tight the hairpin turn is
for long vehicles at Greenfield Station.

Photographs courtesy of David Beilby.

Greenfield Station.jpg

Once you have negotiated the hairpin bend 75 yards just up the hill you then come to this junction!

moomooland:

They are still going strong today here’s one of my favorite pictures of their old Atkinson Mk1 Six Wheeler Reg No ODJ 706F.

0 Powered by a Gardner 150 6LX engine it is pictured negotiating the hairpin bend at Greenfield Station in Saddleworth on the 22nd of August 1982.

Strewth, I hope he doesn’t have to stop at the junction at the top. It’s a savage pull away with a load on, easy to ‘do’ a half shaft (or worse)

A now deceased pal of mine use to take his Ford Sierra and 14ft caravan up that hill and then turned left at the junction as he lived on route. I did it a few times solo in my car and it was ‘fun’ when the road was wet!

Pete.

The Ermee Guy, no not a factory sleeper, but would like to know the history of it, as it’s a Coventry Reg No

grumpy old man:

moomooland:

0 Powered by a Gardner 150 6LX engine it is pictured negotiating the hairpin bend at Greenfield Station in Saddleworth on the 22nd of August 1982.

Strewth, I hope he doesn’t have to stop at the junction at the top. It’s a savage pull away with a load on, easy to ‘do’ a half shaft (or worse)

Heart-in-the-mouth jobbie when you’ve got the aforesaid load of steel. Certainly don’t need the foot slipping off the clutch!

moomooland:
J248 HHW New in March 1992 this ERF E12 tractor unit Reg No J248 HHW has been fully restored and saved for preservation in the livery of D & E Beech of Longton Stoke on Trent.

Nice to see its been saved Paul,thanks for the pic. :smiley:

David Miller:
Evocative picture of the hill climbing six wheeler Atkinson.
Moral? Be kind to your half - shafts and your Mother.David

Yes a cracking pic ! :smiley:

Retired Old ■■■■:

I imagine that was tight “ROF” with a 70 foot trailer. :wink:

moomooland:
For those who don’t know the location the picture below gives you a better perspective of how tight the hairpin turn is for long vehicles at Greenfield Station.
Once you have negotiated the hairpin bend 75 yards just up the hill you then come to this junction!

That would be a nice junction in a pantecnicon with the long wheel base ! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

windrush:
A now deceased pal of mine use to take his Ford Sierra and 14ft caravan up that hill and then turned left at the junction as he lived on route. I did it a few times solo in my car and it was ‘fun’ when the road was wet! Pete.

:unamused:

Dieseldog66:
The Ermee Guy, no not a factory sleeper, but would like to know the history of it, as it’s a Coventry Reg No

Thanks for clearing that up “Dieseldog66”. Possibly a Jennings ■■ :unamused:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Heart-in-the-mouth jobbie when you’ve got the aforesaid load of steel. Certainly don’t need the foot slipping off the clutch!
[/quote]
Talking about clutch control i was in a car park yesterday waiting for someone and watching the muppets park
there sheds. Never seen nothing like it ,people screaming there engines and slipping the clutch ! I seriously
dont know how they keep there licenses, most of them should not be on the road ! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Dont remember this ferry company,bit before my time. I bet “Buzzer” knows about them !

I like the bit at the bottom where it says “The all weather service”. Sounds very familiar to Truckline
when they would still be sailing in gale force 10 when everyone else had stopped sailing ! :laughing:

Click on pages twice to read.

Townsend Thoresen advert.

Article about Brittany ferries.

Hi dean I liked the clipping of the pantechion w Jones had one ynd379m johnnie drove it he fitted an 8track cassette in it along with a radio it was a lot of money if the. Price quoted on the advert put they paid for themselves in the long run ,re your car park muppets most prob got no licence :laughing: :laughing: cheers John

smallcoal:
Hi dean I liked the clipping of the pantechion w Jones had one ynd379m johnnie drove it he fitted an 8track cassette in it along with a radio it was a lot of money if the. Price quoted on the advert put they paid for themselves in the long run ,re your car park muppets most prob got no licence :laughing: :laughing: cheers John

Every removal company had a Bedford John ! :laughing: