PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Chris Webb:

DEANB:
Anyone recognise the F10 ■■?

W.D. & H.O.Wills Foden

Western Board Mills F86

Bulk Storage Transport Foden.

Sun Valley new F7

J.D.White Group DAF with F88 on trailer.

Ashton paper mill Scania

Anyone recognise the Atkinson ■■?

J & M Transport Transcon

Phillip Jones & Son’s Crusader. Think they are from Swansea ■■?

The Bulk Storage Foden artic would be from Paull,Hull.They did a lot of work for BP Chemicals out of Saltend Hull,mostly tankers.Looks like a load of BP drummed product ont trailer.

Hi Chris you’re right about the Bulk Storage Foden,

at last a picture of a truck I’ve actually driven
That Volvo F10 has got similar livery to ICI ?

Knew I had a photo of it somewhere

DEANB:
Agnew & Lithgow Seddon Atkinson.

Great Pictures Deanb.

I thought that I knew A&L fairly well, I have never seen a Volvo with their name on it, I can only remember then running British built vehicles until Montgomery took them over,

Guy Big J

Guy big j looks like it says gardner 240 on grill.

JAKEY:
Had this a few years on my pc , not my photo though , I like as I was a drawbar man on Habitat .

Hi Jakey,I took that wagon and drag photo,on sand fields estate port talbot.my XR3i is in the background,lol.
Regards andrew.

Stanfield:
Glacia salt Foden. Were they part of British Salt does anyone know ■■

Not sure about Glacia salt but the vehicles were part of the Staveley Industries group hence the SI logo on the cab they also bought out Manchester tipper firm John Biesty Transport in 1973 and ran it from Buxton. .
BDs photo

Thanks John for the information and pic ! We had a few of Biesty’s on here near the start ! :smiley: :wink:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

gazsa401:

DEANB:
Some period adverts.

Click on pages twice to view.

I can remember a service manager Ben George who worked at Ross Garage
Prior to that he was at Humber McVeigh he ended up at RHCVs in Nottingham as fleet engineer

Thanks for that “gazsa401” i am glad the advert brought back some memories ! :wink:

moomooland:
Thanks Dean that picture above was taken on the M62 Birch Services.
Here’s a shot of another of their Leyland’s parked in Hadfield’s old yard in Ashton under Lyne were Remploy moved to when they closed the warehouse down in Oldham.

:smiley:

JAKEY:
Had this a few years on my pc , not my photo though , I like as I was a drawbar man on Habitat .

Cheers Jakey ! :wink:

gingerfold:
Yes, very true DEAN, when I worked for Spillers in the 1980s some of the flour customers’ bakeries I visited left much to be desired in terms of cleanliness. I was being shown around a bakery in Galway when a large mixing bowl of cake batter was knocked over onto the floor, which was, shall we say, none too clean. Without any hesitation the bakers scooped up the batter and put into the cake depositer, and then filled the cake tins. When we got back to the MD’s office he got his secretary to make a coffee and asked me if I’d like a cake to have with it… I politely declined his kind offer.

Anyway, going back to salt. On one of my day’s off I delivered an AEC Mercury load of paper sacks to the British Salt works at Middlewich for Ray Holden. I had to reverse into a shed up to a conveyor belt and the bundles of sacks were then fed onto the conveyor up to the floor above, where two men received them. At first I could easily keep the conveyor nicely full but as the load diminished I had to walk further and further with the bundles of sacks to the conveyor. The two men up above were telling me to hurry up as it was getting time for their tea break. The air was full of salt dust (and a few choice swear words as well). By the time I’d finished my lips and mouth were as salty as hell.

In the Winter of Discontent in 1979 I was at Mothers Pride bakery Chesterfield and because of the drivers’ strike salt stocks were getting low, so the Bakers Union Branch Secretary and the URTU (van salesmen and drivers union) Branch Secretary signed letters on their respective union’s headed notepaper saying that we needed salt to produce bread for supplying hospitals, schools, and care homes. Actually this was true in our case (unlike other letters that were produced) as we had supply contracts with the Derbyshire County Council and Health authority for the north of the county. So armed with said letters I went off to the Salt Works at Middlewich taking one of our Ford D Series 16 tonner box vans. The letters asked for 20 tonnes of salt because I had guessed what would happen. Sure enough at the salt works I was sent off to the local office of the TGWU to join a queue up a flight of stairs with about 30 over drivers, each of us having to submit our request to a panel of 3 or 4 TGWU officials seated at a table. Those without documents signed by union officials were turned away empty handed. When my turn came I pleaded my case and gave them the signed letter from our Chesterfield unions people and sure enough they halved my request for 20 tonnes to 10 tonnes of salt, which even so put me and the Ford a bit overweight, but I got over the weighbridge without any argument and 10 tonnes was enough for two week’s production. Incidentally when I was at the TGWU office a BBC TV News crew were just about to start filming and I was one of the drivers shown on the stairs. The film and report made the BBC North West edition of Look North that night.

Good recollection of events there Graham,plus on the TV ! Did you get paid ! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

moomooland:

JAKEY:

Hi Jakey I used to deliver to the Habitat depot in Wellingborough on a regular run for Remploy with a draw-bar in 1979/80.
Used to stop overnight in Northampton and be there first thing in the morning.

More images in Remploy Transport Dept Borough Mill Neild Street Oldham.

Thanks for the link Paul ! :smiley:

smallcoal:

JAKEY:

That is parked by port talbot hospital Aberavon it was driven by dai McLean long serving Jones driver then went to remploy Swansea cheers John

Cheers John. :wink:

Spud1960:

Chris Webb:

DEANB:
Bulk Storage Transport Foden.

The Bulk Storage Foden artic would be from Paull,Hull.They did a lot of work for BP Chemicals out of Saltend Hull,mostly tankers.Looks like a load of BP drummed product ont trailer.

Hi Chris you’re right about the Bulk Storage Foden, at last a picture of a truck I’ve actually driven
That Volvo F10 has got similar livery to ICI ?

Thanks for your comments “Spud1960” :wink:

dave docwra:

DEANB:
Agnew & Lithgow Seddon Atkinson.

Great Pictures Deanb.

I thought that I knew A&L fairly well, I have never seen a Volvo with their name on it, I can only remember then running British built vehicles until Montgomery took them over,

To be fair Dave thats the only pic i can remember seeing of a foreign motor in there fleet ! :smiley: :wink:

pollystag:
Guy Big J

Guy big j looks like it says gardner 240 on grill.

You have better eye sight than me “pollystag” i cant tell to be honest. :unamused:

AZ0011.JPG

However Paul did send me this pic of a GUY and it does look like a Gardner 240 badge in the
windscreen ! :smiley: :unamused: :wink:

pete 359:

JAKEY:

Hi Jakey,I took that wagon and drag photo,on sand fields estate port talbot.my XR3i is in the background,lol.
Regards andrew.

Cheers Andrew ! :wink:

gingerfold:

Stanfield:
Glacia salt Foden. Were they part of British Salt does anyone know ■■

Not sure about Glacia salt but the vehicles were part of the Staveley Industries group hence the SI logo on the cab they also bought out Manchester tipper firm John Biesty Transport in 1973 and ran it from Buxton. .
BDs photo

When I was a trainee with RHM and based at Almond’s Bakery Wythenshawe we suspected that the salt silo had got contaminated. As a quite new bakery Almonds was virtually unique in having bulk salt deliveries as the product was so cheap there were minimal cost savings in bulk buying, but it was more convenient. Anyway, I was given the job of emtpying the salt silo, which took a couple of days or so to bag up 10 tons of salt into paper sacks. A Ken Elsby Foden FG came to collect the salt and after I’d loaded the lorry I said to the driver “are you going to dispose of this contaminated salt at a tannery or somewhere similar?” He replied “no, I’m taking it to the Walls sausage factory at Godley”.

Morning Graham,
I did some work for RHM when under “Grocery Logistics” banner, I can remember going to one of their places in Wythenshawe to collect a load of Nan breads or popadoms and they was marketed under the Sharwoods name I think, would this have been the same place? It looked like it was being wound down then and that was circa 1998/2000, Pete

gingerfold:
Yes, very true DEAN, when I worked for Spillers in the 1980s some of the flour customers’ bakeries I visited left much to be desired in terms of cleanliness. I was being shown around a bakery in Galway when a large mixing bowl of cake batter was knocked over onto the floor, which was, shall we say, none too clean. Without any hesitation the bakers scooped up the batter and put into the cake depositer, and then filled the cake tins. When we got back to the MD’s office he got his secretary to make a coffee and asked me if I’d like a cake to have with it… I politely declined his kind offer.

Anyway, going back to salt. On one of my day’s off I delivered an AEC Mercury load of paper sacks to the British Salt works at Middlewich for Ray Holden. I had to reverse into a shed up to a conveyor belt and the bundles of sacks were then fed onto the conveyor up to the floor above, where two men received them. At first I could easily keep the conveyor nicely full but as the load diminished I had to walk further and further with the bundles of sacks to the conveyor. The two men up above were telling me to hurry up as it was getting time for their tea break. The air was full of salt dust (and a few choice swear words as well). By the time I’d finished my lips and mouth were as salty as hell.

In the Winter of Discontent in 1979 I was at Mothers Pride bakery Chesterfield and because of the drivers’ strike salt stocks were getting low, so the Bakers Union Branch Secretary and the URTU (van salesmen and drivers union) Branch Secretary signed letters on their respective union’s headed notepaper saying that we needed salt to produce bread for supplying hospitals, schools, and care homes. Actually this was true in our case (unlike other letters that were produced) as we had supply contracts with the Derbyshire County Council and Health authority for the north of the county. So armed with said letters I went off to the Salt Works at Middlewich taking one of our Ford D Series 16 tonner box vans. The letters asked for 20 tonnes of salt because I had guessed what would happen. Sure enough at the salt works I was sent off to the local office of the TGWU to join a queue up a flight of stairs with about 30 over drivers, each of us having to submit our request to a panel of 3 or 4 TGWU officials seated at a table. Those without documents signed by union officials were turned away empty handed. When my turn came I pleaded my case and gave them the signed letter from our Chesterfield unions people and sure enough they halved my request for 20 tonnes to 10 tonnes of salt, which even so put me and the Ford a bit overweight, but I got over the weighbridge without any argument and 10 tonnes was enough for two week’s production. Incidentally when I was at the TGWU office a BBC TV News crew were just about to start filming and I was one of the drivers shown on the stairs. The film and report made the BBC North West edition of Look North that night.

Graham,
At British Salt Middlewich, did they load you off the conveyor? usually 2 British Salt blokes stacking the bags off the end of the conveyor, they never used to bother on the weighbridge if you went out overloaded, I have come out a there with 14 ton on a Clydesdale putting it at just over 20 ton gross, they got strict about 1990 and turned me round to take a couple of ton off!

Graham,
At British Salt Middlewich, did they load you off the conveyor? usually 2 British Salt blokes stacking the bags off the end of the conveyor, they never used to bother on the weighbridge if you went out overloaded, I have come out a there with 14 ton on a Clydesdale putting it at just over 20 ton gross, they got strict about 1990 and turned me round to take a couple of ton off!
[/quote]
Sounds about right Pete,most companies were pretty laid back about the weight back in the 70s/80s. :unamused: :wink:

Maylen Marathon.

M 2.JPG

Sea Route Ferry Scania.

A01705.JPG

Anyone recognise the Seddon Atkinson ■■

ERF looks like it may be at a carnival.

Lancashire Dairies Transcontinental.

A01709.JPG

DEANB:
Graham,

Sounds about right Pete,most companies were pretty laid back about the weight back in the 70s/80s. :unamused: :wink:
[/quote]
Yes Pete they loaded me off the conveyor at British Salt Middlewich. Paper sacks of salt at 1 cwt in those days weren’t the easiest to handle, salt being a very solid product. As to the RHM Ingredients factory at Wythenshawe, it was on a different industrial estate to Almonds (later Mothers Pride) Bakery. The bakery closed in about 1990 and it’s now Duerr’s jam factory.

Bibby Atkinson

A01711.JPG

Rockware Glass ERF

A01712.JPG

New Volvo F7 tractor.

A01715.JPG

Tibbett & Britten DAF

A01718.JPG

Pickford’s Scammell Crusader.

A01720.JPG

We used to do some of the local deliveries for Spillers Mill Newcastle. 2/3 Ton of flour and other various bagged stuff for the little bakeries around Tyneside. 10 bags here 15 bags there, hump them through the bakery / back shop, no one seemed too bothered about hygiene. Odd times we would get 5 tons for a bakers / restaurant in the middle of Whitby. After tipping the Warehouse foreman would give you a voucher for a three course meal in the staff restaurant, what I call a good drop!
Walls at Godley got a mention earlier, we used to 3/4 load of pigs a week from the NE into the factory. All swill fed heavy hogs, 8 to the ton. The slaughter hall and production line was nipping clean in fact the pigs were showered before slaughter.
One of the producers used to get the scrap chocolate from the Rowntree factory at Fawdon to mix with the other swill, the pigs were the best shi**##* in town.

We used to do some of the local deliveries for Spillers Mill Newcastle. 2/3 Ton of flour and other various bagged stuff for the little bakeries around Tyneside. 10 bags here 15 bags there, hump them through the bakery / back shop, no one seemed too bothered about hygiene. Odd times we would get 5 tons for a bakers / restaurant in the middle of Whitby. After tipping the Warehouse foreman would give you a voucher for a three course meal in the staff restaurant, what I call a good drop!
Walls at Godley got a mention earlier, we used to 3/4 load of pigs a week from the NE into the factory. All swill fed heavy hogs, 8 to the ton. The slaughter hall and production line was nipping clean in fact the pigs were showered before slaughter.
One of the producers used to get the scrap chocolate from the Rowntree factory at Fawdon to mix with the other swill, the pigs were the best shi**##* in town.

tyneside:

Cheers Graham and tyneside for your comments ! :smiley: :wink:

Tyson H Burridge Atkinson.

A01710.JPG

Click on pages twice to view !

DEANB:
Tyson H Burridge Atkinson.

Click on pages twice to view !

Interesting article, Dean. The reporter calls it a Dennison, but although they did have a Dennison the 3-axled one was apparently a Barrieros Dodge (it says Dodge on the grille if you look carefully) with a UK-built Sisu look-alike cab. Here is the link to a picture of it in Dodge form (though why it hasn’t the same reg no. is perplexing):

public.fotki.com/boballoa/the-o … -0020.html

All this info was kindly supplied by ‘Marky’ on the Dennison thread, which I’ve bumped up for general consumption! Cheers, Robert

M 2.JPGThe name Maylen was made up from the names of the two owners May Palmer and Len Lewarne.
Apparently this Leyland Marathon Reg No SMY 436M was second hand from Brains Haulage Essex.
There is a Maylen thread HERE on ‘Trucknet’ but it has not been updated since December 2015 (until today of course) :smiley:

SMY 427M was another former Brains Haulage Marathon to join the Maylen fleet.

MAYLAM1-001.jpg

MAYLAM.jpgA couple of pictures from the Maylem thread.