Park up/ well ring you

The answer is , I’m happy to sit in layby , stay out fri , run in sat vs I’d rather push on , go home fri ( or give myself the best chance ) .

scotstrucker:

the maoster:
Paid by the hour, so I’d wait as long as needed, I haven’t finished reading the entire internet yet so the chance of sitting down and getting paid to do it appeals to me.

If I was the gaffer and you took it upon yourself to carry on in what turned out to be the wrong direction I’d work out the cost and bill you for it just to focus your mind a bit.

i just sack them because if they cant follow a basic instruction like stop at next services and wait till we call you back then it means that driver doesnt care about you, his work collegues, the customers etc

doesn’t that apply to most drivers nowadays

As has been mentioned previously, you never know what’s going on in the background, from an urgent load, to a fellow driver needing to get home asap for an emergency, so if asked to park and await further instructions, that is exactly what you do. No ifs or buts.

A lot of drivers are under the impression that the guys are giving them something to do just to ■■■■ them off, being stitched up is a phrase that annoys me, as a lorry driver it is your job to pick stuff up at point A and deliver it to point B, so how can being asked to do that be viewed as being stitched up?

Too many drivers expect an early finish, when really it’s an occasional bonus or perk. From my own experience of running the show, the ones that get on with their work and do the least moaning are the ones that get the early finish.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

HAIRYGORILLA:

Trukkertone:
I reckon Dozy needs a spell in the army…
it’s all about learning to obey orders without even putting your brain into first gear…

better still the raf he wouldn’t have to go out the gate

truckman020:

scotstrucker:

the maoster:
Paid by the hour, so I’d wait as long as needed, I haven’t finished reading the entire internet yet so the chance of sitting down and getting paid to do it appeals to me.

If I was the gaffer and you took it upon yourself to carry on in what turned out to be the wrong direction I’d work out the cost and bill you for it just to focus your mind a bit.

i just sack them because if they cant follow a basic instruction like stop at next services and wait till we call you back then it means that driver doesnt care about you, his work collegues, the customers etc

most drivers nowadays aint even drivers they just a bum on a seat, too many now dont see transport as a profession more like just a means to earn money.

scotstrucker:

truckman020:

scotstrucker:

the maoster:

most drivers nowadays aint even drivers they just a bum on a seat, too many now dont see transport as a profession more like just a means to earn money.

That’s because most employers treat them like just a bum on a seat…“■■■■ em, if they don’t like, i’ll just find someone who does…” as opposed to the most valuable resource a transport company has got.

You can have the best customers in the world, the most blinged up V8’s in existence, but if you’ve got crap drivers, you’re doomed. And don’t forget, you employed those crap drivers…or…if they were good drivers when they came to you, but are now crap drivers…work out how that happened?

Dozy needs to go owner Driver and see what happens when he tries running it they same way he wants the Companies he works for to run
BUST in a 2 years

dozy:

raymundo:
Is it me or does Dozy always post a bit about either him or a mate of his getting buggered about with only a few hours left on a Friday but no other night of the week ■■

It doesn’t matter mon- thurs does it , you’re unlikely to be going home , but fri you should be and if you’re tight for time the time sat there twiddling yours fingers could be the difference between getting home or not
Same goes for my mate , he’s not keen on long hours any day as he’s salaried , but fri he wants to go home , which is why I can’t for the life of me understand him sitting there when he could of pushed on , I remember parking 5 mins from Newark ( at garage at n.muskam ) as I’d run out of hours , what 5/10 mins , that’s why I keep going

Yeh, we all want to get home Friday, but that aint your employer’s main priority believe it or not, it’s to make the truck as profitable as possible in order to keep you (and him) in a job. :bulb:
So if the choice is bring you back empty, or tell you to sit and wait to see if there is a backload, which choice is he gonna take do you reckon?

Jeez doze man, Why am I even telling you all this…it’s day 1, lesson 1stuff. ffs.

lolipop:
Dozy needs to go owner Driver and see what happens when he tries running it they same way he wants the Companies he works for to run
BUST in a 2 years

Going by what he’s put up on here I think he could easily manage that in 2 months or even a lot less … :laughing:

raymundo:

lolipop:
BUST in a 2 years

Going by what he’s put up on here I think he could easily manage that in 2 months or even a lot less … :laughing:

first week, he would run out of money for fuel…

With my TM hat on.

Customer in Derby phones to cancel the load.
I call driver to stop while I look for an alternative.
Spend an hour making calls but no luck.
Tell driver to go to Dartford as that’s the only load I don’t have covered.

Alternatively:

Derby customer phones.
I stop driver (but he carries on regardless)
After an hour I find another load in Sheffield but it must be collected within the hour.
I phone driver and when he stops to call me back, he is too far away and I have lost a load and maybe a customer.

As Santa says, plus explaining to all your drivers the reasons for cancelling a load/diverting them would take forever.
As a one time manager I did have empty trucks crossing each other, and am sure it caused amusement, but the driver who had booked an early finish got it.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

We had a fairly regular job out of Scotland, the customers instructions were always for the driver to park at Penrith, the driver would then call in to find out the destination, it could have been Liverpool, Birkenhead, Leeds or Nottingham. We even had the odd load went to Penrith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite a few fruit or meat loads worked like that, a broker would buy a load on spec and then sell it as it was going down the road. There was always a don’t go any further than… instruction.

It used to happen when I delivered ships’ spares. I’d be told to take a load to (say) Brest, in France. Ten minutes before I arrived, I’d get a phone call saying that the ship had had to leave on the tide, and I was to meet it in Vigo, Spain. So I’d head off to Vigo, and ten minutes before I arrived, I’d get another phone call to say that the ship had left Vigo and was on its way to Genoa, Italy. Then Athens. Etc etc etc. I’ve driven around mainland Europe for a month before chasing a ship and still ended up bringing the entire load back to the UK. :stuck_out_tongue:

My uncle took ships spares to a boat in Brest, they didn’t have time to unload the trailer before the tide turned, but they needed to parts, so they craned the trailer on the boat, set sail and he bobtailed up to one of the Norwegian ports to pick it up when the dropped it off. Now that’s a crazy job to get involved with, plan out a reload in France and then find out your trailer is going to be empty a thousand miles away a week later. I imagine there was lots of swearing in that traffic office lol

Harry Monk:
It used to happen when I delivered ships’ spares. I’d be told to take a load to (say) Brest, in France. Ten minutes before I arrived, I’d get a phone call saying that the ship had had to leave on the tide, and I was to meet it in Vigo, Spain. So I’d head off to Vigo, and ten minutes before I arrived, I’d get another phone call to say that the ship had left Vigo and was on its way to Genoa, Italy. Then Athens. Etc etc etc. I’ve driven around mainland Europe for a month before chasing a ship and still ended up bringing the entire load back to the UK. :stuck_out_tongue:

A month? Are you serious ?
No good for dozy…he needs to be home on a Friday. :laughing:

Harry Monk:

That sounds like a great job to be fair. I love bouncing round Europe not knowing what’s coming next. In contrast I’ve known so many drivers that get so incredibly stressed if they have to go a long way for a reload, even of its in direction home. ‘What a waste of diesel/ time’ etc. Who cares, as long as I get paid I’ll go anywhere for anything

switchlogic:
That sounds like a great job to be fair. I love bouncing round Europe not knowing what’s coming next. In contrast I’ve known so many drivers that get so incredibly stressed if they have to go a long way for a reload, even of its in direction home. ‘What a waste of diesel/ time’ etc. Who cares, as long as I get paid I’ll go anywhere for anything

One of the reasons I started doing this job is because I love unpredictability. Nothing please me more than setting off on a job only to receive a panic phone call totally changing the plan as something has gone breasts north on another job.

Having my whole week planned out ahead of me would be my idea of purgatory.

I agree totally, the best job in the world when you leave home in March and get home in October for a long weekend [emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk