Overtime

DrivingMissDaisy:

George@ASDA driver:
We are just about to go from a crap £1.80 extra ph OT to £5.10 extra ph OT.

Thank you GMB union :sunglasses:

But then I’m constantly told, supermarket work is [zb] :stuck_out_tongue:

And you should read into this that maybe companies are actually struggling to get/keep drivers? Conversation I had yesterday would seem to back that up. Canute paying £13 ph and O/T at time and a half suggests that too. They were always looking for drivers because the money wasn’t clever.

Canutes Had to re think their wages as toscos. Opened up right on their door step and pinched quite a few for better money

topmixer11:

DrivingMissDaisy:

George@ASDA driver:

And you should read into this that maybe companies are actually struggling to get/keep drivers? Conversation I had yesterday would seem to back that up. Canute paying £13 ph and O/T at time and a half suggests that too. They were always looking for drivers because the money wasn’t clever.

Canutes Had to re think their wages as toscos. Opened up right on their door step and pinched quite a few for better money

I take it that wage is only certain depots of Canute and on certain contracts?

waynedl:

topmixer11:

DrivingMissDaisy:

George@ASDA driver:

I take it that wage is only certain depots of Canute and on certain contracts?

I really wouldn’t know to be honest I keep myself to myself on that score at work , but I never hear anyone from the Canute side complaining seems a reasonable setup, the only ones I’ve heard grunting abt money are the magor wilko drivers but they have such a cushy number it cannot be that bad

topmixer11:
Stuff that find a job that does not mug you off. Don’t listen to the namby pambys on here that would do anything I’m 13 an hour all 0T is time and half. Anything less then they could poke it. Or I wouldn’t even apply for job. The more people that take it the worse this industry becomes :exclamation:

I like the cut o yer jib!, a principled man, as I’m sure most folk on here are, only thing is will I be able to secure work locally, doing work that I enjoy, with decent people AND get paid time and a half?

yamrider:

topmixer11:
Stuff that find a job that does not mug you off. Don’t listen to the namby pambys on here that would do anything I’m 13 an hour all 0T is time and half. Anything less then they could poke it. Or I wouldn’t even apply for job. The more people that take it the worse this industry becomes :exclamation:

I like the cut o yer jib!, a principled man, as I’m sure most folk on here are, only thing is will I be able to secure work locally, doing work that I enjoy, with decent people AND get paid time and a half?

Yes but you’ll have to hunt it down!

A quick update, still with the same firm, still not being paid O/T.
I followed another of our drivers into the yard at 1500, we finish at 1600, he was asked to go back out to do a delivery of about 80 miles round trip, he refused at the top of his voice whilst uttering profanities to the supervisor, to be fair to the supervisor, he gave as good as he got, but, the other driver packed his stuff and went home. The supervisor then looked at me, I said, ‘don’t ask’, but he did, ‘will you do a local one?’, with an hour to go I couldn’t really refuse, so did that, was back in the yard for 1530, then the manager asks, ‘would you do a 70 mile round trip please?, I’ll pay you time and a half’, I replied ‘You’ll have to pay me time and a half for all O/T from now on then, you can’t have it all your own way’
He tried again to get me to do it, I didn’t refuse, but held my line about O/T, he ended up walking away, a few minutes later a recent new starter arrived back, manager pounced on him and got his delivery out.

I’d say a line has been drawn in the sand, any thoughts?

mjallby:
I recently transferred from Fed ex express to FedEx uk at Express after 40 hours it was time and half for ot at fedex uk the ot rate is less than normal hourly rate whatever union rep agreed to that needs sacking I don’t do ot but feel for the guys who do

Union rep can only agree to it if the members do, it’s very easy to blame the union rep…

I actually earn less on o/t than on standard rate
£8.90 x 10 =£89
M/a £15
F/b 5
Total £109 or £109 div 10 =£10.90 p.h
If you do 15 hrs
£8.90 x 15 =£133.50
M/a £15
F/b = 5
Total 153.50 or £153.50 div 15 =£10.23 p.h :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:
So all you moaning you don’t get more money on o/t think yourselfes lucky,you could be in a job where you earn less p.h on o/t :wink: ( it really is time I got another job )

If you had two or more agencies putting drivers into the same yard, then what used to happen around here at least is the “overtime after 8 hours” crew would get all the 9 hour shifts (8 hours paid with the upaid break) and the 12-15 hour shifts would all go to the “right through rate” agency.

Needless to say, it was very much a horses for courses thing.
Now, I like less commutes for longer shifts, thus doing less round trips per week for the same money. I therefore opted for the right through system as my favoured thing. Others might prefer 5x9 of course. It’s probably best if the choice remains for now, so we shouldn’t be wishing any yard or agency ill will at this time. Just takes your choice and go with it.

CONTRACTED overtime on the other hand, needs to be negotiated at top dollar to make up for the fact you have no option weather to do it or not.
Arbiotrarily increasing a drivers contracted hours for the same money, or hardly any extra because it’s at 1.00x rate or less should not be an option.
I’m quite happy to keep with the right through rates at fedex for example, where a lot of shifts are 10-12 hours gross. Bugger £9.63 or whatever per hour, and even less for the rest!

Interestingly, if you get on the agency at Stoke, you’ll get more money all around - for agency at least. :wink:

On overtime generally, if you get less money for the more hours you work - do less - and stick to doing less! :bulb:
Our wages should not be forever clipped just to pay inflated fuel bills - especially seeing as fuel is in a downward trend price-wise right now… :neutral_face:

waynedl:

bjd:

waynedl:
If overtime isn’t paid at an enhance rate, AND you’re not salaried (this is important), then your holidays must be paid at an average of what you work.

So for example, if your normal day is 8hrs, but you actually do 10hrs per day, then your holiday pay will be based on the 10hrs and not the 8hrs.

HOWEVER, if you’re salaried for 8hrs per day and don’t get any overtime pay, then your holidays will be 8hrs.

ALSO HOWEVER, if you get an enhanced rate after 8hrs, then your holidays will be 8hrs per day.

Bank holidays are seperate and are always paid at the basic rate.

Just out of interest where does that info come from?

I was told this by the company I worked for, it was a change in the regulations quite a few years ago.

Also, if you go onto the government website, it’ll tell you on there and there’s also a calculator which will tell you how many holiday hours you’ve accrued.

I will add though, I’m not 100% sure how a contract would affect this, ie if contract says “28 days holiday - paid at 8hrs per day” then it might over-ride it?

ACAS website:
Workers with no normal working hours:

• � If a worker has no normal working hours then a week’s pay is the average
    pay received over the preceding 12 weeks. Any week for which no pay was
    due should be replaced by the last previous week for which pay was due.

acas bit is correct! :grimacing: as we are MOBILE WORKERS it includes all YOUR BONUSES such as meal allowance, fuel bonus night out money the full shebang! :laughing: if your on £700 for twelve weeks, THATS YOUR HOLIDAY PAY FOR THE WEEK OR TWO OR THREE! :sunglasses:

Fatboy slimslow:

waynedl:

bjd:

waynedl:
If overtime isn’t paid at an enhance rate, AND you’re not salaried (this is important), then your holidays must be paid at an average of what you work.

So for example, if your normal day is 8hrs, but you actually do 10hrs per day, then your holiday pay will be based on the 10hrs and not the 8hrs.

HOWEVER, if you’re salaried for 8hrs per day and don’t get any overtime pay, then your holidays will be 8hrs.

ALSO HOWEVER, if you get an enhanced rate after 8hrs, then your holidays will be 8hrs per day.

Bank holidays are seperate and are always paid at the basic rate.

Just out of interest where does that info come from?

I was told this by the company I worked for, it was a change in the regulations quite a few years ago.

Also, if you go onto the government website, it’ll tell you on there and there’s also a calculator which will tell you how many holiday hours you’ve accrued.

I will add though, I’m not 100% sure how a contract would affect this, ie if contract says “28 days holiday - paid at 8hrs per day” then it might over-ride it?

ACAS website:
Workers with no normal working hours:

• � If a worker has no normal working hours then a week’s pay is the average
    pay received over the preceding 12 weeks. Any week for which no pay was
    due should be replaced by the last previous week for which pay was due.

acas bit is correct! :grimacing: as we are MOBILE WORKERS it includes all YOUR BONUSES such as meal allowance, fuel bonus night out money the full shebang! :laughing: if your on £700 for twelve weeks, THATS YOUR HOLIDAY PAY FOR THE WEEK OR TWO OR THREE! :sunglasses:

I don’t think so! meal allowance and night out money are tax free payments to recompense for expenses accrued during the course of work; they are not part of normal wages and they do not appear as such on payslips. If someone gets any attendance, fuel, accident or any other bonus included in their holiday pay then they can count themselves extremely lucky.

George@ASDA driver:

Indeed, it has been said by individuals on this very site that if you drive for a supermarket then you’re not a real driver.

Anyone working for less than £10 an hour on class 1 needs brain treatment, never mind the bs overtime after 1000hrs at time and a hundredth. Been doing this for 3 years and I feel like I’ve been cheated out of the golden years. All these 3rd party logistics providers have ruined this game.even the petrol is carp Hoyer offering 27k wtf. If I don’t find the golden “ own account operater”job soon I’m binning this off. Who wants to work 50-70 hours a week and get up at stupid times,being pushed by bell end TM,s and poor planning. Soon as I’ve got what I want I’m going back to a cushy office job!! Sod doing this long term. Sad to say but driving is now a mugs game. Too many foreigners doing it for cheap.its arunning joke that I’m English when I turn up to RDC,s.

Supersolo:
Anyone working for less than £10 an hour on class 1 needs brain treatment, never mind the bs overtime after 1000hrs at time and a hundredth. Been doing this for 3 years and I feel like I’ve been cheated out of the golden years. All these 3rd party logistics providers have ruined this game.even the petrol is carp Hoyer offering 27k wtf. If I don’t find the golden “ own account operater”job soon I’m binning this off. Who wants to work 50-70 hours a week and get up at stupid times,being pushed by bell end TM,s and poor planning. Soon as I’ve got what I want I’m going back to a cushy office job!! Sod doing this long term. Sad to say but driving is now a mugs game. Too many foreigners doing it for cheap.its arunning joke that I’m English when I turn up to RDC,s.

So you did a holy thread resurrection just to have a whinge :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
How does your coffee smell this morning now you’ve woken up :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

blue estate:

Supersolo:

So you did a holy thread resurrection just to have a whinge :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
How does your coffee smell this morning now you’ve woken up :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bitter, by the sounds of it! :laughing:

I have a bit of pride in myself and won’t sell myself short. Anything over 8 hours is time and a half. If they dont pay it I dont work and I have never been sacked or out of work. Weekends are top rate or I stay at home. Can’t believe all you spineless ■■■■■■■■ that say just over £9 an hour is a good rate. Maybe it is for you but definitely not for me.

mjallby:
I recently transferred from Fed ex express to FedEx uk at Express after 40 hours it was time and half for ot at fedex uk the ot rate is less than normal hourly rate whatever union rep agreed to that needs sacking I don’t do ot but feel for the guys who do

UNion rep did not agree to that, the members did.

My coffee tasted bitter cos it was out of an RDC waiting room vending machine :smiley: sorry guys didn’t realise how Ranty my last post was! all aside though £10 has to be the minimum rate surely. Unless your stobrats (8.60) + £15 a day eating pies allowance :wink:

Iceland Warrington waiting room suite. Whitewash breeze block walls no windows or tele and 8 middle aged overweight depressed lorry drivers all staring longimgling into space dreaming of the rough looking forkie to come in and say “bay 12?” Oh and the token millionare trucker who owns his own haulage from with 10 trucks who just does the job for a bit of “pocket money” we all know that one!

Vending machine coffee…

Yuk!

Awful stuff, not to mention how filthy the nozzles are that dispense that muck. You’d quite possibly find a more flavoursome beverage by scraping a mug across the bottom of a puddle.

Overtime is paid at time and a half after 8 hours and all day on Saturdays. Sundays is double bubble. Anything else just isn’t cricket.