Overtime !?

So, new job i’m in… 45 hours standard pay, then OT. The day to day stuff takes longer than 45 hours anyway, so it’s practically guaranteed OT. On a run later in the week that’s pretty short. Conversation with TM went like this:

Me: So, if i’m finished before clocking off time, I guess I can just disappear home… instead of sitting in the canteen for 2 hours?

TM: What? No, you need to do your 9 hours, or you won’t get paid the overtime.

Me: I don’t want overtime.

TM: That’s not the attitude we want to hear.

Me: So, you’d rather I sit in the canteen doing nothing, and then pay me an extra for 2 hours for it… than disappearing home, and pay me the hours I work?

TM: You do what you want to do, but it’s not how it should be done.

Me: WTF ?

Anyone :question: :unamused:

Whats wrong with being paid to sit on your tush for 2 hours?

Nothing, except i’d be bored out of my tree watching BBC news and listening to people talk amongs themselves in Polish… would much rather be home early on a Friday night. It just seems odd that they are so keen to pay overtime (enhanced rate OT at that) !

2 hours extra pay won’t make me a millionaire so i would go home as well.

s

sound to me like they need you around just in case they need to send you out again rather than shell out for an agency driver etc
we used to sit around in the canteen at dhl a lot of times just waiting for a job to come in as you never knew when the loads would be done
i got sent home once after sitting about for 4 hours and i was down for an Edinburgh load its min 12 hours to do the job so i had no chance and there was nothing else that needed to be done so happy days i got 8 hours for just sitting there for 4 hours : ) my kind of job

of course you want to go out on another run when your nearly finished for the week dont you ? : )

And that right there is the problem with this country! :imp:

Now the managers don`t mind others sitting on their backsides doing nothing, then we have no hope :frowning:

We used to be productive, we used to do stuff, make stuff, improve stuff…It used to be a thing to aspire to…Work, do stuff, be productive, contribute to each others lives and the economy.

Now it seems we all want to do what managers do…Nothing…And be paid for it. Such a sad and sorry state of affairs can only end badly. :imp:

Sounds to me like your TM is trying to see that drivers aren’t used to do overtime all week just to lose the extra pay one day when the shift is shorter than usual.

With the pay structure you have you could work an hours overtime Monday to Friday then if you’re sent home early on Friday could lose the overtime pay, I could be wrong but it sounds to me like your TM is thinking about what’s best for the drivers, you should be grateful.

desypete:
sound to me like they need you around just in case they need to send you out again rather than shell out for an agency driver etc
we used to sit around in the canteen at dhl a lot of times just waiting for a job to come in as you never knew when the loads would be done
i got sent home once after sitting about for 4 hours and i was down for an Edinburgh load its min 12 hours to do the job so i had no chance and there was nothing else that needed to be done so happy days i got 8 hours for just sitting there for 4 hours : ) my kind of job

of course you want to go out on another run when your nearly finished for the week dont you ? : )

Nah, the runs start & finish at set times, next one would be 5am the next day. It’s like they haven’t recognised that their ‘9hr runs’ mostly take a fair bit more than 9 hours, so you get your contracted 45hrs in easily… yet they insist you do your 9hr day, even if that means they’d be paying you OT to do it, for sitting around doing nothing.

I’m genuinely puzzled.

tachograph:
Sounds to me like your TM is trying to see that drivers aren’t used to do overtime all week just to lose the extra pay one day when the shift is shorter than usual.

With the pay structure you have you could work an hours overtime Monday to Friday then if you’re sent home early on Friday could lose the overtime pay, I could be wrong but it sounds to me like your TM is thinking about what’s best for the drivers, you should be grateful.

Agreed, if that’s the case, althought I’m not convinced it is. More like it’s ‘just the way things are done’. That’s fair enough for those that actually WANT the OT. But, personally, I’d rather have more ‘me’ time, than an extra few quid in my pocket - and surely that’s better for the company anyway, no ?

Chris1207:

tachograph:

Agreed, if that’s the case, althought I’m not convinced it is. More like it’s ‘just the way things are done’. That’s fair enough for those that actually WANT the OT. But, personally, I’d rather have more ‘me’ time, than an extra few quid in my pocket - and surely that’s better for the company anyway, no ?

Look at it this way, you work overtime some days and lose the money on other days because you choose to go home early, on the face of it everyone’s a winner, well that is until the company expect other drivers to do the same as you and be prepared to lose their overtime pay through no fault of their own, then all of a sudden the company have a lot of disgruntled drivers on their hands who are refusing to work overtime.

I understand you preferring to go home but not everyone can afford to lose overtime pay, you have to consider how what you do could potentially reflect on other drivers and ultimately on the company, sometimes it’s better not to rock a stable system that’s working well for everyone.
If you have a TM who’s trying to safeguard the interests of all the drivers surely that’s a good thing.

There making you sit in the canteen because they don’t like paying 45 hrs guaranteed for doing 35/ 40 hrs work,if they really cared about the drivers they’d not sit them in the canteen they’d just sign them up for the 9 hrs and let them go home( at the end of the day the op has done the work planned for him :exclamation: :exclamation: .
I fully expect a :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: post from him in a week or two how they want them to empty the bins and be a general dogsbody instead of sitting in the canteen in the next week or two :unamused: :unamused: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:
N.b o.p don’t let the ■■■■■■■■ win,tell um too empty the bins themselves ,or get the bosses pets to do it .

Use the time , learn foreign language :smiley:

More evidence that “Just in time” does not work.

Having a large pool of drivers on standby is plain daft - be they agency or full timers scratching their arses waiting for something to do.

If you have x amount of work, then you need x+2 drivers to cover it. One reserve to pick up the “Last minute” job, and a “sickie” reserve in case someone already working decides to bail out.

These two drivers on that reserve cover duty are “on call”, and get to go home early as soon as it’s confirmed that there’s no job.

I was kept sitting around on a palletliner job once for 4 hours before being given a run that was going to be at least 12 hours to perform.
I refused, and of course got banned from site. :imp: They even tried to tell me that "You’re not going over 15 hours, because we’ll be paying you from now (4 hours in!) rather than when you got here… Strewth! :open_mouth: They want me to auto-dock 4 hours of pay as well - “to get the job done”.

No problem. Plenty of other places to work that don’t act like crooks to get the job done at my risk, expense, and licence! :angry:

Our union fought hard to allow us to ‘sit’ for 9 hours a day as to keep our overtime!!!

Mon to Wednesday 3 X 15 hours = 45! :laughing: all overtime Thursday and Friday. :sunglasses: you’re boss/ TM wants his cake and eat it too! :grimacing: :grimacing: go home :wink:

Winseer:
More evidence that “Just in time” does not work.

On the contrary - JIT does work. It has nothing to do with scheduling transport or driver’s hours, but everything to do with keeping production lines going with a minimum stock level. Holding stock is expensive - transport is cheap by comparison. Having a warehouse full of parts you don’t need yet takes up space and the parts have to be paid for. If you supply to a JIT company, then you want to do the same thing, all the way down to the basic raw materials. If you supply Iron ore to a smelter, you don’t dig it up until the market says it’s needed - OK it takes a while to react, but that is what happens. Same for oil, coal and everything else, all the way up to your Jaguar, Plasma screen TV or Tractor. If you ever see a yard full of goods waiting for a buyer, someone made a mistake, or a customer went ■■■■ up.

There was a comment about charging receiving depots for costly delays - it used to be called demurrage and it’s high time that hauliers started to re-introduce it.

just packed one like that in, i get up to earn a days pay and dont like getting told to sit there like a kid, paid for nothing na thanks rather be home doing something i like

Santa:
There was a comment about charging receiving depots for costly delays - it used to be called demurrage and it’s high time that hauliers started to re-introduce it.

they won’t charge demurrage :open_mouth: as they’re scared to, :laughing: then they store it for free on TOSSCO, ASDA OR SAINSBURYS bays for seven hours FREE OF CHARGE! :sunglasses: JIT AND FMCG ( fast moving consumer goods ) :unamused: it’s all bull shine! :imp: they’re moving that fast at 56 mph and then stuck at Birmingham on the m6 for three hours because HATO have closed two lanes as grannies having a jimmy riddle in between two doors on the hard shoulder! :grimacing: all corporate bull shine, no one stocks for free anymore :wink: