Overtime Rates.

Is it just agency that pay time and a half after 40 hours these days, or is there still some companies out there who still do?
Seen overtime but not at X1.5 being offered after 50 or even 60 hours at some firms but very few after 40.

1.5 for us after 50hrs. Although we don’t get docked our hours break, so you could say it’s OT after 45hrs.

I don’t get it because I’m agency, but the place I’m at, at the moment pay their drivers time and a half after 39 hours.

Were on time and half after 8 hrs daily no breaks deducted :sunglasses: did 69 hrs last week out of a possible 71 and i was fooooked

I think Argos get it after 40 hrs at time and a quarter.

Calor Agency drivers get it after 8 hours per day, not 40 per week at time and a half.

1.5 after 8hrs seems more standard with day shift, probably as trampers are expected to do 12+ hours every day

If I do 15 hrs ,start 4 a.m - 6a.m ( £9.33 p.h) ,6 a.m - 7 p.m ( £8.33 p.h ) ,does seem ■■■ about face to go on a lower rate but that’s how it works

I get time and half after 8 hours paid daily. Tramping too.

150% of standard rate after 8 hours or all day Saturday.

39 hours basic,×1.5 overtime,×1.83 before 6am and after 6pm and double sundays and bank holidays.

Muller Wiseman’s still pay x1.5 after 8 hours & straight through on Saturdays. Double bubble on Sundays, Triple on bank holidays, holidays at average earnings.

Unionised.

What are the base hourly rates one gets 1.5x on though?

£8-9 base isn’t so hot, but £12+ for the first 8 hours would be pretty cool!

Winseer:

Just a tenner here. But as a tramper it soon starts to add up. Last week I earned more in overtime than on my standard 40 hours. Plus my night out money and meal allowance.

£9.25 ph straight through with paid breaks (which averages about 60 hours. £25 for a night out.

Terry T:

Winseer:

Just a tenner here. But as a tramper it soon starts to add up. Last week I earned more in overtime than on my standard 40 hours. Plus my night out money and meal allowance.

This is the trick - especially if you start counting the overtime from 40 hours rather than 50… The night out & meal allowances being tax free helps a bit too eh? :slight_smile:

72 hour week? - 40x£10=£400 with 5x1hr deducted for meal break at most (taken from these hours not the gross overall hours mind!)
30 hours @ £15ph=£450 plus 4x£25 for nights out monday-thursday (home on friday) and 5x£10 meal allowance (repacles more than what’s lost for meal relief deduction) gives £900 for top line, some of which is not taxable as well. And… You’d be home every weekend in this scenario at least.
Nice! :slight_smile:

Are your firm looking for anyone at the mo? :blush: :wink:

60 hours duty limit .rig your poa or apply the law .poa must be notified in advance and the driver is free to do as he wishes inc sleeping .that’s how the country is running bent

mercury:
60 hours duty limit .rig your poa or apply the law .poa must be notified in advance and the driver is free to do as he wishes inc sleeping .that’s how the country is running bent

Let’s say he has 1hour total break in the day x 5… Now he only needs 5 hours through the whole week of extra breaks and poa. It’s not hard, stop making it sound dodgy when it’s not. Take an extra 30 mins a day, split into 15’s hardly noticed but again 2.5 hours off you duty time.

Sometimes in the terminal where I load we can be queued for up to 2 hours… I use poa. And it’s legal use as well. I know how long I will be waiting, can’t have a break as I’m in the middle if the terminal, there are various ways somebody can legally get 5 hours poa during the week to make it legal

Ask the tallyman the period of poa or you are running bent .I’d say.if hot foods provided and you aren’t at a station use brek

it is shocking the rates that are paid today, the biggest con was the day we lost the overtime rate after 8 hours daily, just that one change in pay cost drivers a huge loss in wages, it amazes me how the company’s come up with do many different ways to pay a driver and the drivers accept it !!!

job and knock and flat rate daily pay become popular as the guys would finish early and be paid the same, until of course the company’s started to add just a bit more work on to the day, and the time drivers end up doing a 15 hour shift only making the same pay was seen to be a fair deal

the 2 things i would love to see brought back into driving would be overtime after 8 hours daily at a time and a half, and weekend rates of time and half sat, double time Sunday, i used to make huge money over 15 years ago when the rates where just 7.25 ph but the overtime really kicked in to make everything over 8 hours a nice little earner at the end of the week, i always worked weekends as part of my shift patten just to make the money, you can bet i did 15 hours sat and sun

today you have a higher hourly rate but not by much, but you lose out big time as there is no overtime rate.

there doesn’t seem to ever be a way of ever going back to how it used to be hence a lot of guys have given up, it hasnt had the impact it really would have done had we not had more than enough of the guys who come from overseas to jump into driving jobs for low wages as to them guys there earning 4 times what they could be paid back home

so the way i see it for the natives of this land the job is knackered and is always going to be low paid as there is no need to put the money up as to many drivers will do the job for what there making at the moment

sure they all feel there underpaid and want more money, there only answer seems to be to try to find out who is paying what each week so there ready to jump ship if they can get a better paid job but even then some drivers will still cling on to there 8 quid odd an hour job as there to scared of change

it no good really complaining about pay and condtions as unless your prepared to do something about it to make it change in your favour your just not going to get anywhere.

just imagine now your on 500 quid a week take home today, then say in 10 or 15 years your on 450 take home yet still do the same job or maybe even a few more hours for the less money or will have to spend out even more to get more training requirements to be able to still do the job how would you feel ?

the cost of living will have gone up big time over those years but you end up doing the same job for less money, it suddenly becomes a dead end job, the new guys come in to the game and are very happy to drive a big truck around and get paid the less money as its good money to them

well its what has happened to me and many other drivers over the years the money just never got any better yet the job got worse and the conditions got worse.

while there are cheap drivers out there who will jump at the chance there is no hope of decent wages again, all you will make is a living wage, while the bosses keep on upgrading there fleets and keep on changing there cars as you can bet they dont end up with a pay cut ever, they just find ways to paying drivers less for more but keeping there own profits intact.

Is that your eulogy Pete?