One last hurrah

!st, its good to see you back as you where always a decent contributor to the forums 2nd, well i feel your pain been feeling this way for ages been looking for another job that interests me but no luck so far ,imm lucky in one respect as i earn good money but thats a double edge sword as it makes finding a new job even more difficult but onwards n upwards the search continues good luck

OVLOV JAY:
Well I’ve found myself back here after a roughly 9-10 month self imposed exile. I say self imposed because I felt the site had gone a bit stale, as has been my general rule for the industry itself to be honest. Nice to see Rikki has attempted a clampdown on the ■■■■ who were ruining the once great site.

So what is this one last hurrah I hear you cry? Well as I just mentioned, I’m completely disillusioned with the industry right now. Too many spineless drivers and unscrupulous operators have literally killed it off. I’ve attempted to get office based positions, and even applied for a job as a train driver in recent months.

But I started to soul search, and see if I could pinpoint where I fell out of love with the job. Unfortunately I couldn’t narrow it down. I did start to reminisce about the reasons I started out on my journey though. Living 500 yards from Hercocks yard in the 80’s, my best mates dad having a mint 143 in the 90’s etc. Then I remembered my 144 530 I had at the age of 22. All good stuff, that my fleet spec FH 540 just can’t compete with. So I’m thinking I fancy a flagship truck. I’m talking a V8 or FH16 with all the bells and whistles, bearing in mind I’ve got a 6 month old 540, so anything less than a manufacturers top toy won’t do.

So this is a serious pitch for a new job, with a top truck to help me fall back in love with the game. Not really bothered what type of work, as long as it’s not recycling, tippers or steel. I’ll travel anywhere within an hour of Tilbury, or I can arrange secure parking at Tilbury. Now I’m not being Cab happy, I take Home between £550 and £600 a week including between 1 and 3 nights out. So I won’t be interested in anything less.

So let the ■■■■ taking commence, for anyone who has anything serious to say, pm me, cheers.

WELCOME BACK

http://eddiestobart.com/careers/vacancies/lgv-ce-class-1-driver-dagenham-goresbrook

Fill your boots :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Welcome back. I know what you mean, I had a mid career crisis a couple of years ago. I put up with working for one of the ‘biggies’ that took over the contract where I was because the money was good but after 5 years all the corporate BS finally got to me. I’ve never really had a big fancy top spec truck so didn’t leave for that.
After a few different jobs I’ve dropped on ‘the one’ now. I now work for a non transport company that has 4 of its own trucks. I’ve made a decent impression on them so they’re buying me a new truck and let me choose the spec up to a point.
I think what I’m trying to say is find yourself a decent job doing something different and make a good impression on them then you sort of make yourself indispensable and they may just give you what you want. Decent driver retention they call it [emoji4]

My company (Kersey freight) are looking for trampers decent trucks daf 510,530 scania 500s old and new model all kitted out. Money’s decent clear £600+for 5 days it’s tramping on general but all sorts not just rdcs. We do a lot of fertiliser,bricks in fact all building materials.All hours paid.Based in hadleigh near Ipswich I’ve been on here nearl a year after coming off boxes(we met back a while when we were both on maritime). I like ie and it’s revitalised my job after 10years on boxes. Might be worth a try ?

How’s a top spec truck going to improve dragging boxes out of tilbury or in and out of poxy rdcs drinking machine coffee listening to ■■■■■■■ lorry drivers who is only helping his mate out driving a 10 plate premium in to Morrison’s bridgewater while his s730 Scania that he owns is in for service before he ships out to Istanbul tomorrow.
Either get in to a more special gig but may well not be a flash truck involved or find one of the few firms that still do European work which might offer a bit more variety.

kr79:
How’s a top spec truck going to improve dragging boxes out of tilbury or in and out of poxy rdcs drinking machine coffee listening to [zb] lorry drivers who is only helping his mate out driving a 10 plate premium in to Morrison’s bridgewater while his s730 Scania that he owns is in for service before he ships out to Istanbul tomorrow.
Either get in to a more special gig but may well not be a flash truck involved or find one of the few firms that still do European work which might offer a bit more variety.

You sir are talking absolute…

…sense.

One last hurrah? I’m retiring in a few months and this is my last hurrah. Could be yours too as it will need another driver. Built in 1998 and no emission controls. Will do 85 mph where speed limit allows. Bugger to reverse, noisy as hell, lucky if you get 6 mpg but you won’t be bored.

Steinbach is a bit more than an hour away from Tilbury and the way the exchange rate is right now, it would need to pay about $20 per mile to beat his current take home pay. [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

n17 trucker:
My company (Kersey freight) are looking for trampers decent trucks daf 510,530 scania 500s old and new model all kitted out. Money’s decent clear £600+for 5 days it’s tramping on general but all sorts not just rdcs. We do a lot of fertiliser,bricks in fact all building materials.All hours paid.Based in hadleigh near Ipswich I’ve been on here nearl a year after coming off boxes(we met back a while when we were both on maritime). I like ie and it’s revitalised my job after 10years on boxes. Might be worth a try ?

There motors have always looked good i’ve thought.Did wonder about giving them a look.Was told its salary paod though.Is it not?.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hey Jay.
I know you’re on a wind up/fishing excercise here btw :smiley: , I was going to bite and carry it on by responding by slating you, to wind you up, but I didn’t … (in case you took ME serious :smiley: )

If your ■■■■■■ with it mate the biggest fanciest truck in the world (awash with spotlights and shiny tanks :smiley: ) is only going to make things better for a very short time until it becomes the norm, then you realise different truck same ■■■■.
2 choices bud either do what I do, stick with it, do the job to best of your ability… but make the best of it you can for yourself :bulb: , take minimal crap, do things your way (not following the sheep)…and that way you still enjoy it …SOME of the time. :smiley:
Or.
…Jack.
Simple …you’re welcome. :sunglasses: :smiley:

No wind ups, and I respect the views that it’s the same job whatever the truck etc, but in my mind, the rdc waiting rooms etc are just a fraction of the day. The truck is the office and after being spoilt with the new scania on demo last year, I fancy having something top of the range to make the mundane a to be part of the job a little more pleasurable

Ray White was looking a FT driver for a DAF XF510 on non ADR tanker Euro work couple of days ago on his FB page.

Can’t accuse him of running “well shook” gear!!!

“Switchlogic” I’m sure can vouch for him!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Timber transport out of the forests…never a dull moment, I promise you!

Challenges to include: unsurfaced roads with huge cambers and trailer-magnet ditches; no help from the sat nav when you need it most, no mobile phone signal when you need it most, the crane, the nasty flying things, the weather, the slippery logs, the adders, the deer ticks.

But you will never, ever, be bored. And you’ll see the most scenic parts of the UK and meet some interesting folk on the forestry.

OVLOV JAY:
No wind ups, and I respect the views that it’s the same job whatever the truck etc, but in my mind, the rdc waiting rooms etc are just a fraction of the day. The truck is the office and after being spoilt with the new scania on demo last year, I fancy having something top of the range to make the mundane a to be part of the job a little more pleasurable

Give it a couple of weeks it will be the same crap be it sitting on the limiter in a v8 Scania or a fleet spec Volvo.

kr79:

OVLOV JAY:

Give it a couple of weeks it will be the same crap be it sitting on the limiter in a v8 Scania or a fleet spec Volvo.

This what I cannot get my head around. A V8 can only go to 90 kmph same as a fleet spec. Its the same mundane job but with a billy big balls badge on the front!

Normal people will just look at it as a stinking old lorry the only lorry drivers it will impress is the other shined truck big power freaks.
Sod the make and spec DAB radio and Bluetooth streaming are the two things I value most in a truck

kr79:
Normal people will just look at it as a stinking old lorry the only lorry drivers it will impress is the other shined truck big power freaks.
Sod the make and spec DAB radio and Bluetooth streaming are the two things I value most in a truck

You seem to be getting caught up in the idea that he cares what other people think. He wants to drive a nice motor because he wants to drive a nice motor. Impressing others maybe doesn’t even come into it.
One of the cars I own is a daft stripped out Ford Fiesta full roll cage and 300 hp. I don’t have it to impress people I have it because I like it. But it can only do 70 mph like everything else so whats the point in having it eh?

How does driving a better lorry make draging boxes or in and out of rdc more bareable it’s mind numbing boring work only way you can make driving a lorry better is by getting a job that requires a bit of thought and effort.
You want interesting get a job that requires off road driving or using a crane or something like that.
Boxes trunking rdc work is crap as it’s dumbed down to accommodate most of the morons that do it

kr79:
How does driving a better lorry make draging boxes or in and out of rdc more bareable it’s mind numbing boring work only way you can make driving a lorry better is by getting a job that requires a bit of thought and effort.
You want interesting get a job that requires off road driving or using a crane or something like that.
Boxes trunking rdc work is crap as it’s dumbed down to accommodate most of the morons that do it

Firstly even hauling a 730 around the country at 44t with 16 hp per tonne and 45 lb/ft per tonne isn’t exactly over powered compared to the even lowest possible powered gutless heap of a car.IE it’s still bleedin hard work keeping the thing moving especially in varying speed and stop start traffic.But at least the extra power helps in that regard especially these days when you can only make up on the hills and during acceleration what you lose with the limiter on the flat.

As for distance trunking v local work great if you prefer local work that’s your choice.But certainly wouldn’t call the former choice moronic.

On that note I’d be happier with the V8 doing my old trunking job with the old school FM radio and cassette player than my council job with a DAB radio and whatever blue tooth is.While if I preferred operating a crane than driving then I’d get a job as a crane driver.Then you can add to that the combination of simplicity and reliability and resale value for the guvnor so the guvnor is happy the driver is happy what’s not to like.

As for DAB I’ve got that in the car and it’s a joke it can’t even maintain a signal running from home to Sainsburys let alone around the country and FM still sounds better to my ears too. :wink:

Big Truck:
Ray White was looking a FT driver for a DAF XF510 on non ADR tanker Euro work couple of days ago on his FB page.

Can’t accuse him of running “well shook” gear!!!

“Switchlogic” I’m sure can vouch for him!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

I think he’s happy to trot up and down the A12 with a box behind him if he has something shiny at the front! :slight_smile: