Old livestock hauliers shropshire

Retired Old ■■■■:
It’s amazing how many “names” in the haulage game used to run livestock vehicles. My old boss, who ran both livestock & general until they closed, reckoned that the reason hauliers gave up livestock was more to do with the difficulty in getting money from farmers than any of the diseases!

morn retired, who did you work for on livestock , I used to go to go to corsham most weeks with thames trader . through glos and over to stroud and down. always a lot of trucks around glos on market day.

I drove for R H Goulding at Newent, the firm that my old fella worked at for nearly fifty years. I worked my way up from Driver’s Mate (aged around six years!) to school holiday gofer, before leaving school and entering the “spanner” profession. I returned to the old firm just before my 21st birthday when I was awarded custody of a BMC FFK with removable (about 3 times a week) livestock container. Preferring the more macho image of a general haulage driver I graduated to a Bedford S-type with the occasional “treat” on an artic or the 6-wheeled Albion.

Retired Old ■■■■:
I drove for R H Goulding at Newent, the firm that my old fella worked at for nearly fifty years. I worked my way up from Driver’s Mate (aged around six years!) to school holiday gofer, before leaving school and entering the “spanner” profession. I returned to the old firm just before my 21st birthday when I was awarded custody of a BMC FFK with removable (about 3 times a week) livestock container. Preferring the more macho image of a general haulage driver I graduated to a Bedford S-type with the occasional “treat” on an artic or the 6-wheeled Albion.

yes gouldings always tidy . they used come to shrewsbury ,did they go to city meats hordley ellsmere. always when in kiddeminster factory gouldings all ways there. I knew Geoff well I no he went to reads after. Gouldings were a firm you would not have thought would finish. and I would nt mind a pound every time ib been past there yard. thanks Charlie

I don’t think we ever went to Hordley in my day. However, since moving to t’North I regularly delivered beef boxes there. Wasn’t the weight limit a pain in the ar*e when coming from our area?!?!
The “Old Firm” was never the same after the Old Man passed away. Had they diversified into the Big Load, Long Distance livestock business as others did, they may have stood a better chance of surviving. The general haulage side of things was firmly rooted in the days when a customer accepted a fair price for your servicers, then stuck with you if you offered him a decent service. When the haulage industry turned to accepting that the customer dictated the haulage rates they were unable to maintain their high standards and were unwilling to compete with others who were working for zero profit.

It took a while but like a Mountie, I finally got my man! I couldn’t borrow the albums to scan so Mohammed went to the mountain and I took these with my phone - not brilliant quality I’m afraid, but good enough!

Taken before April 1989 - so maybe sometime during winter of 1988 & new year '89

Probably at Leek Market - that’s a Mears Leyland - Clydesdale?

Gardner 120:
It took a while but like a Mountie, I finally got my man! I couldn’t borrow the albums to scan so Mohammed went to the mountain and I took these with my phone - not brilliant quality I’m afraid, but good enough!

Taken before April 1989 - so maybe sometime during winter of 1988 & new year '89

Probably at Leek Market - that’s a Mears Leyland - Clydesdale?

Thanks for putting that picture on the blue Ford D Series is my dear old friend Dave Newton from Uffington died 16 years ago one of the nicest and kindest men you would ever meet. Always ran a nice little fleet with his 2 sons Colin and Dennis

My pleasure - I think it reads Upton Magna on the front - where is that exactly?

PS - here it is again, cropped

20140819_153515 b.jpg

Leek (I think) late 80s

Leyland Chieftain and Bedford TK - definitely Leek! 1988/89

Mr J Haydon himself aged 96 in April 1989 with a Leyland Freighter- the last day of livestock haulage

Hiya Gardner 120…That photo of the two ERF,s isn’t Leek market. There are no round roof buildings at Leek.
i lived only a couple of hundred yards from the market. it was the first thing you saw when you opened the curtains.
i also the field before the market was built.
cheers John

Hiya gardner120…the F88 volvo was a 4 wheeler it belonged to a Mr slack he lived on the A 515 at Cubley Sudbury to Ashbourne
road. i,am certain the lorry come as a 4 wheeler new. i think that photo is at Leek by the concrete surface.
John

oxo3:
S J Morris also covered Shropshire, I have been told this vehicle is parked in shed in Trefonen

These are only a mile from me today running timber lorries, does anyone remember Arthur thomas livestock from llansantffraid??

3300John:
Hiya Gardner 120…That photo of the two ERF,s isn’t Leek market. There are no round roof buildings at Leek.
i lived only a couple of hundred yards from the market. it was the first thing you saw when you opened the curtains.
i also the field before the market was built.
cheers John

Thanks for the info John - I wasn’t sure - I was there in the 70s so don’t recognise it - I assumed that maybe they were the same set of photos but I think you’re right

I suppose it could be Chelford, Congleton, Newcastle or Beeston which were local markets frequented by Haydons

Thanks for the good photographs and readings .
The Leyland Chieftain was a good sturdy wagon for livestock duties.

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

Gaz0203:

oxo3:
S J Morris also covered Shropshire, I have been told this vehicle is parked in shed in Trefonen

These are only a mile from me today running timber lorries, does anyone remember Arthur thomas livestock from llansantffraid??

yes I rember ARTHER THOMAS Gaz0203, always in welshpool and oswetry and Glyn fro m llanffylin, 2 good charectors.

Gardner 120:
My pleasure - I think it reads Upton Magna on the front - where is that exactly?

PS - here it is again, cropped

gardener 120 hope your doing ok . the newtons truck were kept uffington its just off Newport road and on the sort cut we used to a5 Atcham from shrewsbury market. they were a old firm and always lived around shrewsbury. they had a Chinese 6 of parrys at one time.

Fine ta Charlie

Here’s another to keep the thread going

Gardner 120:
Fine ta Charlie

Here’s another to keep the thread going

I had forgotten about the artic gardener , there was a8 wheeler and a 6 if rember as well

There were a few artics after 1979 - a Seddon Atkinson and 3 or 4 ERFs - the only 6 wheelers were an F reg ERF (with draw bar) and a Mercedez Benz (brand new in 1975 on a P reg)

There was an 8 wheeler ERF but before my time - C reg I think so way back

This is another photo from the last day of livestock haulage - April 1989

Slightly older than 1989 …