Old livestock hauliers shropshire

chepstowchap:
M J Parry

Lovely picture, I bet you had to be careful turning that with a full load on. Dougy Clay, a big buyer of barreners & fat Bulls from Reigate used to run a couple of AEC 8 wheelers with double deck bodies on. I remember seeing them loading in Chippenham market when I was a boy. I’ve wished so many times I’d had a camera wth me.

BB

charliemjp:
hi tas trucker, we used to go to knighton on friday store cattle sales. we also picked up sheep on thursdays, i can rem picking sheep from knighton and kington and taking them to cornwall.on brechon road we could becoming from brecon or dale haffordwest.when coming from fishguard we mainly came cardigan aber. But sometimes we bought irish cattle back to crowthers craven arms so we would come that way.on the 8 wheelers they were not tso o bad. the biggest prob was when you had a trailer on and short of lock .i was lucky they bought me a new 4 wheel and trailor so i left the 8 wheelers. there i s a pic of the lorry and trailor on another page. did you go to knighton mart. thanks charlie

hi charlie didnt go to knighton myself but my neighbour use to with M E Edwards llanfair c Did you go to knighton in the AEC 8 wheelers on them narrow bends awful roads they were .can you remember parrys had a ATKINSON jep H ex trevor morris or could have been s j morris llanfechainwith big ■■■■■■■ motor.used to be black did not know that parrys did work for crowthers the daughter used to live in harlescott next to a joint motorway lad thankyou charlie trevor

hi tastrucker and all,m e edwards all ways in knighton, when i started in markets theh had 2 lorries a 6 wheeler A E C and day cab small scania with a 3 deck 30 foot artic trailor.parrys did a lot for them to torrington devon. then they got a lot more trucks them selfs. which they have tidy fleet.on the atkinson it came from trevor morris. good motor only did 50 but kept pulling.we had a new atkinson that would do 60.if you left bayston hill with bales of srap to neath the trevor morris one wouldbe first. happy new year trevor , dave , keith and every body on trucknet thanks.

hi charlie mjp had many a happy hour riding shot gun with you .we must have been to ever cattle market in shrophire and wales .

charliemjp:
hi tastrucker and all,m e edwards all ways in knighton, when i started in markets theh had 2 lorries a 6 wheeler A E C and day cab small scania with a 3 deck 30 foot artic trailor.parrys did a lot for them to torrington devon. then they got a lot more trucks them selfs. which they have tidy fleet.on the atkinson it came from trevor morris. good motor only did 50 but kept pulling.we had a new atkinson that would do 60.if you left bayston hill with bales of srap to neath the trevor morris one wouldbe first. happy new year trevor , dave , keith and every body on trucknet thanks.

Hi charlie happy new year, did you do much steel ? Saw you on occasions tipping at Vauxhalls Luton with the 8 wheelers . regards keith

hi kingswinsford kit, happy new year. i did reply to a note on previos page about parrys and del around midlands , hope you understood it. DID some steel scap bales down to neath and tin plate or paper out maesteg back’.parrys then took on denmans work out shotton keeping there seddon and one of there own on coils . when parrys finished trucks 5 drivers went to joints. thanks charlie

hi parry cjp, happy new year , i would not mind a pound every mile we did on the livestock.i have put a thames trader on that page. it amazes me how many pic thames traders there are. i hope your going to find some pics i wish i had taken more. charlie

charliemjp:
hi kingswinsford kit, happy new year. i did reply to a note on previos page about parrys and del around midlands , hope you understood it. DID some steel scap bales down to neath and tin plate or paper out maesteg back’.parrys then took on denmans work out shotton keeping there seddon and one of there own on coils . when parrys finished trucks 5 drivers went to joints. thanks charlie

hello charlie youve got me thinking again was that denmans whitchurchb they had commers on steel out of Shotton. think they did furniture removels as well thanks again trevor

hi tastrucker,yes same denmans they still do the furniture, did you find the lorry and trailor i had on previos page. it got a pic of parrys and one in stuarts colours who bought it of parrys.do you still drive in shropshire area. thanks charlie

hi barry i remember sid & you well, i remember you having a red volvo f86 think it was a k reg cant recall what others sid had before then. sid & my dad were always winding each other up in shrewsbury or oswestry markets.eddie morgan passed away in december of about 1998 he worked upto the year he died.

barrybbbb:
hi everyone only just joined as i was looking to see if anyone had any old photoes of sid downes wagon as he was me dad i used to drive for him i spent all my younger yrs in the cattle markets etc hes passed away now about 28 yrs ago but god thay was good times foor me miss it so much but as we never had camrara in them days never add any photos

143topline:

watty1:
hi ive recently joined the forum and was very interested in these posts my father run livestock lorries just over the border in wales but with a shropshire address.
there are a few livestock hauliers in this area that come to mind they are
JW Watson Bronington Whitchurch (my father)
Stocktons of whitchurch
Frank Edwards of Loppington
Dulsons of Whixall
Sid Downes Bagley Ellesmere

Does anyone remember any of these?

here is a line up at shrewsbury, thorneycroft of frank edwards, bedford of j pugh from lydbury north, and atkinson of f warburton
1961 i think about the time the new market was opened. went to the last market in the town by the river and the first one at the market at battlefield. market moved again a few years ago

1948 Vulacn (Perkins P6 engine) custom back by Thorns of Condover.
Thorns 1st 3 decker sheep transporter M J Parry’s.

Hi very interesting pics does anyone have. any pics of Shrewsbury livestock haulier D Newton and Sons trucks I remember they had a nice ergo. cabbed AEC and drag

Does anyone have contacts or information on AE JONES of Ludlow from the 50s and 60s ?

HI BILL 2 CAN ONLY GO BACK TO LATE 60 S. DONT NO MUCH BEFORE. THEY HAD A BLOKE CALLED BOB IN MARKETS I THINK HE CAME FROM WOLVES.

Hi Charlie i am lead to belive that this is one of your olds lorries what did you do to it lol!
VAW956S SEDDON ATKINSON 400 SERIES
now an iragation pump for a local farmer

[

Hi Charlie,
You mentioned Bob worked in the Markets in the 60`s - his name was Bob Hayhurst - he was from Pattingham near Wolverhampton.
I worked for A E Jones from 1952 to 1961 and in fact drove the Leyland Beaver & Trailer that is on page 2 of this link - registration KXJ 590.
I am nearly 84 now and still driving.

hi legion, had vaw new like a rolls royce after having aday cab a e c ./ as you can see i can wreck any thing. thanks for reply bill 2 yes bob was a charecter, sorry i cannot help you on a e jones in 60 . when you think your lorry and trailor was well a head of its time. i allways prevered lorry and trailor than artic with doule decker. i will find some imfo of john parry as he was allways in marts thanks charlie

Hello Charlie, thank you for the reply.

There are several other Shropshire Livestock Hauliers that are not mentioned, I will put together a list and post on here shortly.

I have memories of haveing to fill vehicles with water and drsin them off at end of the day - there was no antifreeze back then.
I also recollect Towing Perkins P6`s - that was the best way to start them.

Best regards,
Bill Mullard.

dessert driver:
Hi boys
I went for a family walk along the Whixall canal Sunday night past Bill (RIP) and Les Dulsons place and took a few picks of there old trucks.

Regards Keith.

The Super Comet has been recently saved for preservation.