Old Firms in Oxford Area

Couple for you Harvey

Andrew Morrison:

HRS:

Andrew Morrison:
This one just for you HRS don’t know if this was anything to do with you it was supplied by Meachers Southampton J94JTR as a seed motor??
Cheers Andrew0

Yes indeed Andrew, happy days eh !! After that came two EC motors with Drum blowing gear for the big sow tankers but they did not turn out well for them and they changed marks, poss Scania.
From memory I think I recomended the 14 litre engine and they went for the 10 litre and suffered due to fuel and the power. I could be wrong but that is how I remember it.
Thanks for the Pic, very thoughtfull of you. cheers, Harvey

Hi Hrs Cannons also trialed a Foden with same spec as J94JTR ie ■■■■■■■ 325 engine,Eaton twin splittter gearbox & Rockwell axles I think the Foden didn’t fair well compared to the erf so ended up with about 10 erf ec’s with blowers but none of these in my opinion were as good as the Volvo fl10’s we had doing same work.
Cheers Andrew

Great pic’s, thanks.
I think you are right about the FL10.
When you are dealing with a company that was built up by a “driver” it was so much easier to recomend a “spec” take Buzzer on this forum in Southampton, he knew what was right regardless of what was on offer.
When you deal with an Accountant to a great degree you are offering some form of comprimise and in my time I have walked away from a deal because I would not comprimise the vehicle with what I believe was the wrong spec. ERF was fantastic for offering a huge spec, engine, gearbox, suspention, axle ratio, configuration etc but NEVER to an accountant.
Also, not many considdered " blowing time !!! " take care mate Harvey
PS KL commercials was the dealer under Meachers Transport.

HRS:

Andrew Morrison:

HRS:

Andrew Morrison:
This one just for you HRS don’t know if this was anything to do with you it was supplied by Meachers Southampton J94JTR as a seed motor??
Cheers Andrew0

Yes indeed Andrew, happy days eh !! After that came two EC motors with Drum blowing gear for the big sow tankers but they did not turn out well for them and they changed marks, poss Scania.
From memory I think I recomended the 14 litre engine and they went for the 10 litre and suffered due to fuel and the power. I could be wrong but that is how I remember it.
Thanks for the Pic, very thoughtfull of you. cheers, Harvey

Hi Hrs Cannons also trialed a Foden with same spec as J94JTR ie ■■■■■■■ 325 engine,Eaton twin splittter gearbox & Rockwell axles I think the Foden didn’t fair well compared to the erf so ended up with about 10 erf ec’s with blowers but none of these in my opinion were as good as the Volvo fl10’s we had doing same work.
Cheers Andrew

Hi

Great pic’s, thanks.
I think you are right about the FL10.
When you are dealing with a company that was built up by a “driver” it was so much easier to recomend a “spec” take Buzzer on this forum in Southampton, he knew what was right regardless of what was on offer.
When you deal with an Accountant to a great degree you are offering some form of comprimise and in my time I have walked away from a deal because I would not comprimise the vehicle with what I believe was the wrong spec. ERF was fantastic for offering a huge spec, engine, gearbox, suspention, axle ratio, configuration etc but NEVER to an accountant.
Also, not many considdered " blowing time !!! " take care mate Harvey
PS KL commercials was the dealer under Meachers Transport.

Yes mate very true unfortunately Cannons accountants on transport side never were the best at listening to recommendations lol

Andrew is Buffalo still about ?

Found this one tucked away,they kept a tidy fleet–toshboy

IMG_0003.jpg

my old man worked for j curtis in stratton st magret swindon is that the same firm? his name was stan dibling …

Just found this letter in paperwork in the loft, didn’t think I was that light-footed with my old F7 :laughing: :laughing: Did a variety of work with her on General, happy days :smiley: Chris

Welldone Chris , have a pat on the back :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: .

JAKEY:
Welldone Chris , have a pat on the back :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: .

Hi Steve, will you give me a job now :wink: I’m not as Nippy as I used to be mind :laughing: :laughing:

Hello chris , not sure if your want to hit the stairs with a double wardrobe these days mate ! :laughing:

About time you Charlie and me go to Rush green again ? :open_mouth:

For you Men of Oxenford :smiley: with the bus “home” for you Chris. The bus terminus 58 years ago(for me) was on Wood Farm Rd opposite Mrs McCann’s for a cup of tea and a plate of cakes/biscuits for a tanner. Most routes had “tea” houses in them days.
Oily

Oxford Richard 24851378247_799ef5d1b5 rs_k.jpg

45 Wood Farm Road was home Eddie :smiley: Next door to Mrs McCann. Did you know that Mrs McCann’s son Ray later married my sister Jeanne, Ray was a British Leyland Transport man for years before he retired, they live in Charlbury now 20 yards across the road from my Mum, she is still going aged 92, sharp as a tack & still more than a match for any of us :smiley: Sadly Ray has got Parkinsons so he’s not so good nowadays. Nice Luker Merc’, no Luton though, surprised at that Steve, not like Ray (Luker Boss) to lose the money the Luton made :laughing: :laughing: Here is my 1st Wagon on Luker’s, taken in 1985 in Germany. Chris

JAKEY:
Hello chris , not sure if your want to hit the stairs with a double wardrobe these days mate ! :laughing:

About time you Charlie and me go to Rush green again ? :open_mouth:

I’d hit the stairs alright mate, with the wardrobe on top of me :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: To think back then I would pick up a washing machine on my own & carry it out to the Wagon, & I wonder why my back is the way it is nowadays :unamused: Yes we have to go Rush Green again, need another nostalgia fix :smiley: As for Charlie, A few more years & I’ll be sending him to you for a job :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Hello Chris , sorry to hear about RAY although I sort of knew , they did call for us to quote them to move to RISINGHURST but we were far to busy at the time to fit them in , Yes Charlie would be fine as he is a keen lorry boy :smiley: .

adr:
45 Wood Farm Road was home Eddie :smiley: Next door to Mrs McCann. Did you know that Mrs McCann’s son Ray later married my sister Jeanne, Ray was a British Leyland Transport man for years before he retired, they live in Charlbury now 20 yards across the road from my Mum, she is still going aged 92, sharp as a tack & still more than a match for any of us :smiley: Sadly Ray has got Parkinsons so he’s not so good nowadays. Nice Luker Merc’, no Luton though, surprised at that Steve, not like Ray (Luker Boss) to lose the money the Luton made :laughing: :laughing: Here is my 1st Wagon on Luker’s, taken in 1985 in Germany. Chris

After leaving transport I still kept in touch with the McCann family, at the time I was on the COMS Ray had a bad motorbike accident, quite a long recovery if I remember rightly, also met your sister a time or two at the McCanns and when Ray and her wed I had gone back to my apprenticed trade supplying and fitting floor covering to their first house at Willow Close, Garsington. My regards to them both and your mum, the photo a memory jogger for them, it could be of course, once seen never forgotten :laughing: :laughing:
Cheers
Eddie

oiltreader:
For you Men of Oxenford :smiley: with the bus “home” for you Chris. The bus terminus 58 years ago(for me) was on Wood Farm Rd opposite Mrs McCann’s for a cup of tea and a plate of cakes/biscuits for a tanner. Most routes had “tea” houses in them days.
Oily

Hi Oily, Is that bottom pic with the buses a modern Oxford shot, 'cos I wouldn’t recognise them. Your last post is more like the ones I knew, or something like these.

BigG-Unit:

oiltreader:
Oily

Hi Oily, Is that bottom pic with the buses a modern Oxford shot, 'cos I wouldn’t recognise them. Your last post is more like the ones I knew, or something like these.

Hi BigG, the Oxford Buses come in all colours now, different colours for different services eg Park & Ride etc :unamused: Why they can’t go back to the old colours I don’t know :confused: And although it’s time consuming go back to hand painting them too, that way the paint might stay on them & shiny for more than 6 months!!! Chris

adr “chris” The greek (ex rover) says hello . :sunglasses:

JAKEY:
adr “chris” The greek (ex rover) says hello . :sunglasses:

Hi Steve, Mick ‘The Greek’ Mavroudis :smiley: Say hello back please mate, is he still living round the Quarry, just along from, now here’s a memory jogger for you, ‘Valises the Bakers’ who did the most amazing Lardy cake :smiley: :smiley: Chris

Chris ,you are correct with his surname and where he lives ! but we are moving him to Churchill road Kidlington soon .

He chuckled when I mentioned the time he forgot he had a tautliner on and not a flat trailer going under the transport way bridge ,he was about 5 ft too high !!! and the time a forklift driver ■■■■■■ him off ! and the greek chinned him !!!firey little bugger , favourite saying "did you know that or did you not " :laughing: I let you know his address when he has moved , he remembers you ! although he said you was thin :laughing: I spat my tea out across his kitchen :blush: