Old Firms in Oxford Area

A load of palletts for ARC Lechlade. These palletts were a knightmare to rope, the load was so high that when you threw the rope over it used to snag or drop down between the palletts, I very often, particularly on a windy day, found it easier to get the stacker driver to lift me up on top with the ropes once I had criss-crossed the front, & drop the ropes down either side, then climb down the front,( terrible, all done without a hard hat, high-viz, harness etc, the H&S crew would have a field day!). Horrible load to pull, used to sway all over the place, worse than a tanker on bends/roundabouts.

Sorry was talking on phone & forgot to attach picture to last post!

Took this load from Didcot Power Station to a Power Station in Blythe, Northumberland. I remember on the way back I was sent into B.P. somewhere (I can’t quite remember) near Aldridge, West Midlands to collect a load of Oil (barrells, cases etc), when the bloke on the loading bays saw my trailer he asked me if I was being serious, I just shrugged & smiled, he then told me to f**k off!

Fuzzy’s Transcon’, when her time was up Fuzz was given a replacement, a Volvo FL10!!! I think I’d have topped myself, talk about one extreme to the other!

Hi adr,I was interested in this pic

I found a shot of the same motor,I wonder if it was before or after you had it

By the way,your’e posting some great pics mate. :smiley:

Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

bubbleman:
Hi adr,I was interested in this pic

I found a shot of the same motor,I wonder if it was before or after you had it

By the way,your’e posting some great pics mate. :smiley:

hi all
full marks for the brilliant pics adr.i used to see cannon’s volvo’s running through pyle in south wales when they were hauling coal from parc slip opencast.
regards andrew.

Heres a few FLs of Cannons
C25GFC…A nice wave from the driver :laughing:

C30GFC…Driver drinking tea at the wheel…who hasn’t done that :smiley:

C36GFC

C39GFC

Hi Bubbs,
Thanks for the pic mate, I have no idea if that was before or after I had the old girl!!! Do you know when that pic was taken? Cos I no idea who she belonged to before Cannons.
Hope I not whacking too many pics on, but I’ve driven for a few Oxford firms so hoping they might be of interest to someone, cheers!

Hi adr,I took the pic of the F10 as it left the Truckline ferry in Poole at a guess 1990/91…Mrs Bubbs dumped on the beach and me taking pictures of lorries at the docks…sad innit. :neutral_face:

Hey great pics of the old Bulkers Bubbs! Didn’t get mine though, when I first started on Cannons I had to go on the bulkers, I wanted general but I had to wait a bit, easy job down to South Wales, load & back to Didcot Power Station, but boring after a bit, the FL7s didn’t help, they were good on fuel but only cos you could keep them rolling on the motorway, they couldn’t pull a lady of the night in a house of ill repute!!!

Hi Bubbs, 1990/91, that was after I’d left Cannons so she’d been sold on. Although she was getting on & had the usual F10 tin-worm starting to set-in, she went well & pulled like a train so probably went on for a few years.
Cheers ADR.

with reference to Truck Services Witney who were indeed located in the old Ford and Slater premises in Minster Lovell they folded after one of the partners took the money and ran leaving the other one to clear up the mess. Pat Ward the unlucky partner that was left went on to be an O/D with a left ■■■■■■ Scania 142 subbing to Macburnie International around europe eventually selling up when Macburnie stopped doing europe to concentrate on their Stewart Milne contract and as far as I know still works for a Swiss haulage company running uk-swiss-uk.

Good pics adr. I remember the FL7s running out of Baddesley to Didcot.

A few shots of another cannon truck

hI Chris , these pictures are making me happy buddy , and yes the crusader wrecker was a good truck, I drove it loads of times on wrecking duties when I was a fitter at Brs Oxford , " I didnt like the guy whos driving it in the picture " , F7S on general must have good arms with all that gear changing . :laughing:

Can only second what JAKEY says about these pics. & a big thank you to all you chaps for posting, great stuff. I think I can remember those tankers running up to Coleshill fairly regularly, would I be right? :confused:

Hi BIG-UNIT :smiley: , who were you on for in Oxford ? , regards Jakey

Hi JAKEY, I was only a youngster when I lived in Oxford and not what you could call a proper lorry driver. From the age of nineteen I only worked full time in the winter months, so it was a case of any job would do really, which would usually be either building work or driving. I think my first driving job combined the two, when I worked for Laing’s on the Blackbird Leys project and on concrete pouring days I drove a Bedford tipper, but most of it was, more or less, on site anyway. I also did a stint on Tuckwells, mostly on flats, and also drove for Hooper & Jones, driving every vehicle they had, which included a road roller. :laughing: Then a bit for Barry Hebborn’s scrapyard, as an extra driver on odd days, mostly out of the Rads. In the bad winter of '62/'63 I got on for Hartwells Oils, who employed extra drivers for the busy winter period, laying them off at Easter time and offering a start the following winter. This suited me as it worked in well with my summer pursuit, but unfortunately I only managed two winters before the summer pastime caused my moving from Oxford to the West Midlands. It wasn’t until 1972, when I drifted into Haulage on my own account, that I became a proper lorry man, :sunglasses: :laughing: but I always had a lot of work to the Oxford area. In the early days we worked for a contractor doing conveyors to the Leyland plants, so was in on the rebuilds of Longbridge and Cowley. Also we subbed for companies delivering parts, which in later years all went into BRS at Sandy Lane. We also did a lot of work to garden centres and superstores in the area, not to mention many tons of steel mesh to numerous sites! :unamused: and with a lot of family still living there I have always maintained a connection. Once established, a lot of my time, of course, was spent off the road running the business, but I would often do a night or early morning run to Oxford as I was usually able to be back in the office by midday. Well, I hope I have answered your question and haven’t bored you too much in the process! :blush: Anything you are not too clear on I can always expand on a bit!! :laughing: :laughing: :blush:

Thanks BIGG, you may have seen my dads wagons , now mine Ag jacob and sons removals and storage Headington , red and silver now but they were in the old days red and black . Wish I could post pictures .
All the best , jakey

Don’t forget the time on the water boilers George :smiley: