Old Day Bolton Hauliers

ramone:
Can anyone remember a yard around the Bolton area that looked (and might well have been) a scrap yard.I vaugely remember it just through a set of lights with an old Scammell Crusader and quite a few old trailers in there, its a long shot and quite a few years back now

Hi ramone,in bolton there was a bloke called john charlton who had three or four scrap yards there he also sold second hand truck from these yards,

ramone:
Can anyone remember a yard around the Bolton area that looked (and might well have been) a scrap yard.I vaugely remember it just through a set of lights with an old Scammell Crusader and quite a few old trailers in there, its a long shot and quite a few years back now

Hi Ramone
They have been cleared out now, all the old trailers and tractors have gone. The one by the lights near the old Hipwood & Grundy yard was the first to go then the one on long causway was next. They have not been developed, just yards minus the ■■■■■■ The one on long causway used to be a service station and someone is still using the old buildings.
Cliff

scud:

ramone:

Hi ramone,in bolton there was a bloke called john charlton who had three or four scrap yards there he also sold second hand truck from these yards,

IIRC John Foster was yard foreman at one of these yards.

Jakdaw:

scud:

ramone:

IIRC John Foster was yard foreman at one of these yards.

I wonder what they had lurking at that back of those yards ?

dafdave:

givover:
Any of you Dudes remember Allens Transport They where down Tippings Road off Blackburn road Had some good wagons .

Yes mate i remember them in fact yrs ago when i worked for sheldons we used to do a subbie job for them delivering billposting glue to london transport depots.Remember when roy fox worked for them he had a bullnosed foden before going owner driver and he then bought a volvo.
regards dave.

I think Roy Fox still has a Volvo now and still in the Orange colour scheme to.

In the 50/60s Era I used to load at a haulage firm at Farnworth, I cant remember their name, but they stored soap powder for Thos, Hedley Ltd Trafford Park (P & Gs), They had Albion 4 wheelers, Their storage facilty was wooden sheds, very old fashioned to say the least, Any of you old Bolton Boys remember them, ■■?, Regards Larry.

wheel nutz:

dafdave:

givover:
Any of you Dudes remember Allens Transport They where down Tippings Road off Blackburn road Had some good wagons .

Yes mate i remember them in fact yrs ago when i worked for sheldons we used to do a subbie job for them delivering billposting glue to london transport depots.Remember when roy fox worked for them he had a bullnosed foden before going owner driver and he then bought a volvo.
regards dave.

I think Roy Fox still has a Volvo now and still in the Orange colour scheme to.

Last time I saw roy was in Calais[late 90s]but I know at that time he was running 3/4 motors,all decent kit all running uk/eu.Since ive retired and moved from Bolton ive lost contact.
regards dave.

not seen roy for about a year hes down raikes lane way good lad and hes got a f16 in the garage

Nice photo of Freds motors, they were always turned out well. I remember his advert for drivers in the Bolton Evening News, “all our vehicles have a radio fitted”. You would have a problem hearing it with the ■■■■■■■ reving its nuts off but never mind.
Cliff

Excellent boss was fred,always kept the trucks a1,gave you a spraygun with gunk in it[remember that]you owd uns,used to bring chassis up like new.I worked for him for 10yrs till he shut down in 1983.His problem was he had all his eggs in too few baskets,his main contracts were
lorival mouldings at little lever Bolton carrying battery casings down to fords at Dagenham and edbro tipping gears in Bolton both automotive connected and when work dried up he didn t have anything to replace them being as he was one of a dying breed who would only work for a decent rate and not undercut anyone else,Happy days.
regards dave.
P.S.My memorys not what it was but I probably drove both them motors at some time.

My dad used to work for snaylams and parkers back in the 70’s, Joe Riley was his name!!!

A stab in the dark. Someone mentioned HKR Transport in Little Lever run by Harry Roscoe. Does anyone remember them when they were on Kershaw Avenue in Little Lever? Next door was A Millington Haulage (Albert Millington), this was up until 1955. The Millington’s are still running a business from the same site but we are timber and door merchants nowadays. Albert Millington was my great grandfather, Harry Roscoe was my grandfather’s cousin). Just looking for anyone with memories of it really as it was before my time.

Does anyone recognise these two gents? Tommy and Albert Millington who worked at A Millington Haulage, next to HKR Transport (Harry Roscoe), on Kershaw Avenue, Little Lever.

Any pictures, memories or stories of either company appreciated.

wow blast from past that must be roy fox used to have orange /white Volvos running spain last seen him customs la jonquera nice guy hope hes well :smiley:

I’ve also just learned that Albert Millington was in partnership until 21st January 1924 with William Wallwork at Bradley Fold Garage, Little Lever, Bolton. Albert left William to work on his own. Does anyone have any photos, information, stories or anything about William Wallwork or Albert Millington. Also anything about HKR Transport Ltd also from Little Lever, Joseph and Harry Roscoe ran HKR from Kershaw Avenue until about 1965 then moved to Church Street trading as Sheldons?

Hello mate.
I worked for harry roscoe between 1982/92.First at tottington,trading as sheldons/Haworth and Wilson.Then[forget the yr]he moved to bury bridge were the b&q store is now,and then to church st l/lever till he went bust in 1992.Hope this helps.
regards dave.

Harry Roscoe set up HKR Transport in the mid-1950s on the partial de-nationalisation of BRS. He worked out of Kershaw Avenue with a small single vehicle (4-wheeler) wooden shed as a garage next to Millington’s workshop. Harry also lived in Kershaw Avenue. As he built the business up parking was always an issue and on a Saturday afternoon their were lorries parked in Kershaw Avenue, Dearden Street, and Lever Street. In the late '50s and early '60s the favoured make was Seddon 4-wheelers with Leyland O.375 engines, then a Seddon 6-wheeler (Leyland engine), Dodge 4-wheelers (Perkins) and a couple of Dodge 6-wheelers (York third axle conversions with AEC AV470 engines). Leyland Comets (Leyland square cab and LAD Cab models) were also bought. Harry concentrated on paper traffic from the Bury paper mills of Yates Duxbury (some lorries were on A-Contract Licence for them), Cromptons, and Gigg Lane Mill. Also brown reel traffic from Broadbents of Little Lever and Marshalls of Bolton. He also did chemicals for Potters of Little Lever and finished cotton. Much of the traffic was to London and the South East and he opened a traffic office in the Erith area to arrange back loads. By the early '60s he was running about 20 lorries and bought the empty former Brough’s Bleachers and Dye Works on Church Street and moved there. Rapid expansion and he bought the general haulage lorries and A Licences of Thomas Burton (Rhodes), Middleton, which were AEC Mercurys and an AEC Mammoth Major Mk.V eight wheeler. At the same time he also bought Tillotson cabbed AEC Marshals (at least one of which ended up in the Spiers of Melksham fleet in later years), and a LAD Cabbed Leyland Octopus. (Bill Heap was the driver). Mid-'60s and he bought a lot of new ergomatic cabbed AEC’s, - Mercurys, Marshals, and Mandators. Late '60s and Scammell Handyman tractor units were bought and the fleet stood at over 30. Harry also had a ‘smalls’ van operation and he had over stretched himself financially and went bust. United Carriers stepped in and bought the business. Later Harry acquired Haworth & Wilson / Sheldons of Bury and moved that operation to Church Street Little Lever. Former HKR drivers I can remember were Bill Heap, Roy Booth, Harry Jones, Albert Jones, Bill Humphries, Tommy Hollander ( a cockney who did the Lancashire to London traffic the other way round),Ray Beard, and Winston Beard (mechanic). There were other whose names escape me for the moment. Hope that this helps.

Well, the memory cells are working overtime. Another HKR driver was Fred Carroll, who was featured in an article about HKR Transport that was published in the Farnworth Journal. Fred drove one of the Dodge six-wheelers. I think that Maurice Platt from Bury, who set up as an owner-driver, also worked for HKR. Harry also had a boarding house in London for his drivers in the pre-sleeper cab days. Apart from over-stretching himself financially by buying what was virtually a brand new fleet of lorries in the mid to late 1960s (which was partially forced upon him by a serious incident as well as new legislation including Testing and Plating), the sudden loss of much, if not all of Yates Duxbury paper mill traffic, caused him a huge problem. YD was Harry’s biggest customer. In its boom years HKR was a smart fleet, originally a red and cream livery, which changed to Royal Blue at about the time of the move from Kershaw Avenue to Church Street. Also, the Thomas Burton AEC’s were blue and that might have persuaded Harry to change his livery. The depot at Church Street is now the home of Thomas Harwood and Son and since Harry’s time it has also been used by United Carriers, Pitter Brothers, and Renwicks. I’m surprised that there aren’t any photos of HKR lorries, it was a sizeable operation for the best part of 20 years. Roy Booth, a long-standing HKR driver was the best sheeter and roper I’ve ever seen. If you’re reading this Dennis (Bewick) he could more than match any of your men. I always aspired to be as good as Roy, but never quite managed it and I considered myself to be pretty good at it.

That’s fascinating, thanks to both of you for sharing your memories of HKR. I barely remember Harry, I was 15 when he passed away in 1991/2, my dad and uncle were in the talking stages of buying the Church Street site from him for the timber merchants to move to but Harry passed away before anything was agreed.

After living on Kershaw Avenue he had the large house on Hill Top built and lived there until he passed away, his wife still lives there now and this year celebrated her 90th birthday and she is still active and very mentally sound and with it and I always have an interesting chat with her and the sharpness of her memory shocks me.

Until recently she still drove the B reg maroon Mercedes Benz which Harry drove, their son David used to drive it too but I haven’t seen the car for about a year.

Thanks again for your memories, any more of Albert Millington, Cyril Millington or Harry Roscoe I’d appreciate reading your memories. It is a shame there are no photographs of HKR, We’ve asked Edith (Harry’s wife) but unfortunately she has none either.