Old Cafe's

Similar to the scam (horrible word for “bunce”!) when the first Severn Bridge opened. Most of the local lads still went into South-East Wales via Chepstow, but claimed the - I think■■?- half a crown bridge toll. Big money!

Retired Old ■■■■:
Similar to the scam (horrible word for “bunce”!) when the first Severn Bridge opened. Most of the local lads still went into South-East Wales via Chepstow, but claimed the - I think■■?- half a crown bridge toll. Big money!

You’re correct. It was half a crown. Then when it changed to decimal it became twelve and a half p.

I never seemed to have the correct money. After a while they knocked off the half p. On the two way trip

I was a Penny up. Every little helps! Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

^^ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

coca cola kid:
One I used a lot Woodside on the A19 North bound also the one opposite on the South side but can’t remember the name, no prizes but who can Cheers Mel PS Still always think of Stable Girl & here husband Wagon Master at Thirsk are you still out there

the one on the left of the A19 heading south(with the cafe up the slope)was an ICI garage at one stage,then Shell took it on,on our invoices it was,Knayton Cafe and Filling Station

Lawrence Dunbar:

curnock:

matt watson:
1Some of the older drivers will remember this cafe on the approach road to Kincardine Fife.This is the only photo I have of the Silverlink Cafe and the old Kincardine bridge.

lol,used to book two pound each way on my expences on the bridge

You must be jocking, There was no toll charge on Kincardine Bridge , I used to travel that route in the 50s, Or perhaps this was introduced in later yeras, :question: :question: :question: Regards Larry.

i know there was no charge but i still booked it on my expenses

Well your good old Gaffer must have been a good one to pay you these dodgey payments, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Well your good old Gaffer must have been a good one to pay you these dodgey payments, Regards Larry.

Hiya,
When in no hurry I’ve done the Kincardine Bridge and booked the Forth Bridge.
thanks harry, long retired.

Ooooooh, Harry!!! Now Bewick will know just where his taxes were going!
It was our habit (custom & practice!) to just enter “Bridge Toll” on our expenses. It was only if you had fallen out with one of the traffic clerks that they questioned you as to exactly which bridge you had used.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Ooooooh, Harry!!! Now Bewick will know just where his taxes were going!
It was our habit (custom & practice!) to just enter “Bridge Toll” on our expenses. It was only if you had fallen out with one of the traffic clerks that they questioned you as to exactly which bridge you had used.

Never mind commenting on old cafes Rof your too mean to pay in today’s world even in old money :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Pot. Black. Kettle.
Rearrange these words to form a hint as to who it is that’s continually finding excuses not to stump up his turn for the breakfast!

curnock:

Lawrence Dunbar:

curnock:

matt watson:
1Some of the older drivers will remember this cafe on the approach road to Kincardine Fife.This is the only photo I have of the Silverlink Cafe and the old Kincardine bridge.

lol,used to book two pound each way on my expences on the bridge

You must be jocking, There was no toll charge on Kincardine Bridge , I used to travel that route in the 50s, Or perhaps this was introduced in later yeras, :question: :question: :question: Regards Larry.

i know there was no charge but i still booked it on my expenses

Not to mention using A38 and claiming Tamar bridge both ways!

Steve

^^ :laughing: :laughing:

Well known to many on here. Chris

adr:

Spent many mornings in there…was always freezing…cracking brekkie though.
That Daf was parked up there for ages

atkiman:

adr:

Spent many mornings in there…was always freezing…cracking brekkie though.
That Daf was parked up there for ages

This must be the late Pete Davison’s photo - his Roadtrain with the signature Knight’s heads and Leyland coach nameplate.

He used to reckon that adding the knight’s head to a Roadtrain would double its value :laughing:

You’re driving me mad, I know it, but where is it? :blush: :confused:

Spardo:

You’ll kick yersen David………………. :grimacing:

Star Café at Lesmahagow on A74.

harry_gill:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hiya,
When in no hurry I’ve done the Kincardine Bridge and booked the Forth Bridge.
thanks harry, long retired.

We used to take steel to Firth Derihon at Darley Dale from Steel Peech and Tozer Templeborough and went through Chatsworth Park. One of our lads,Graham Wheelhouse,booked entrance fee to Chatsworth House and nearly got sack for being a cheeky sod. :laughing:
Of course there has been a weight limit through there for years now.

Chris Webb:

Spardo:

You’ll kick yersen David………………. :grimacing:

Star Café at Lesmahagow on A74.

Aaaah, thanks Chris, must have been in there hundreds of times, especially with Ilkeston Haulage, plasterboard up whisky back down and barely time to eat never mind sleep.

Perhaps explains the confusion nowadays. :unamused: :confused:

The rush rush southbound was mainly caused by the police, who didn’t like to see us having a nap in a layby, and hurried us on down so they didn’t have to investigate a whisky hi-jack. :imp:

Always wondered what the old star looked like. Heard about it over the years. Used the later one at lesmahagow until they built Tesco on it.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk