Old Cafe's

charlie one:
Hi David I’ve been past Harrison’s yard and as you say wrong. Just remember you can’t be good looking and clever!

Chris. Hello young man. Hope you’re well. No not Mayor. However I am a solicitor. I have been done for soliciting. Fame at last. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Ha ha,aye still breathing in Isle of Man pal. :smiley: Soliciting eh,I would have thought a quiet town like Alton was no good for that trade. :laughing:
That steelworks could have been Eaton and Booth Ltd,they made a lot of carbon and alloy steels for export.

Ay up Chris definitely on A61 near where sainsburys wadsley bridge is located

phop:

Oh right,bottom of Halifax Road then Phop. I haven’t been up there for years,there were no Sainsburys last time I was in area.
Sorry,I don’t recall a café there but I never used that road much when driving for a living.

Chris Webb:

charlie one:
Hi David I’ve been past Harrison’s yard and as you say wrong. Just remember you can’t be good looking and clever!

Chris. Hello young man. Hope you’re well. No not Mayor. However I am a solicitor. I have been done for soliciting. Fame at last. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Ha ha,aye still breathing in Isle of Man pal. :smiley: Soliciting eh,I would have thought a quiet town like Alton was no good for that trade. :laughing:
That steelworks could have been Eaton and Booth Ltd,they made a lot of carbon and alloy steels for export.

You’re correct Chris. 40 odd years ago. It was a strip out job. And those tilts were swines to break down.

None of that anymore. Don’t think I could do it anymore. And strip out tilts! Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:

Chris Webb:

charlie one:

You’re correct Chris. 40 odd years ago. It was a strip out job. And those tilts were swines to break down.

None of that anymore. Don’t think I could do it anymore. And strip out tilts! Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Ypu should have stopped on Harp Lager job. :laughing:

Spardo:

charlie one:
Chris. Do you remember a steelworks at Hillsborough you had to pull across the road and back in. I loaded a few times in the seventies with steel bar for France. A bit weird as I sometimes got a backload of coil wire for Tinsley Wire. Sorry this hasn’t a lot to do with cafes except there was one at the junction at the steelworks. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Is that the little one next to Harrison’s yard where all the old Scammells were, Charlie, or am I in the wrong place entirely? :confused:

Ignore me, just Googled it, I was thinking of STP’s at Tinsley. :unamused: :blush:

Temple boro.rolling mills?

dafdave:

Spardo:

charlie one:
Chris. Do you remember a steelworks at Hillsborough you had to pull across the road and back in. I loaded a few times in the seventies with steel bar for France. A bit weird as I sometimes got a backload of coil wire for Tinsley Wire. Sorry this hasn’t a lot to do with cafes except there was one at the junction at the steelworks. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Is that the little one next to Harrison’s yard where all the old Scammells were, Charlie, or am I in the wrong place entirely? :confused:

Ignore me, just Googled it, I was thinking of STP’s at Tinsley. :unamused: :blush:

Temple boro.rolling mills?

No Dave,that was opposite Steel Peech and Tozer on way to Rotherham.

Chris Webb:

Yes, that’s where I meant, STP’s, wasn’t there a little cafe somewhere there, near to Harrisons?

Spardo:

Chris Webb:

Yes, that’s where I meant, STP’s, wasn’t there a little cafe somewhere there, near to Harrisons?

Yes there was David,practically opposite Sid Harrison’s yard,just off Tinsley island,can’t remember it’s name,went in many times as well. :unamused:

Eddie Heaton:
0Not sure if this has featured previously on this thread as I haven’t trawled through all 98 pages, but just in case it hasn’t, here’s a shot of the old Blue Peter cafe on the A62 at Standedge.

Taken looking west towards Delph and Oldham, with the possibly better known Motormans café two or three miles east of this spot on the Yorkshire side heading down into Marsden.

I’m not sure if the place was still open when this photograph was taken, as I’m not sure precisely when it was taken. I’d be guessing at around 70/71ish, as most of the cafés along this route closed shortly after the opening of the M62 over Windy Hill, Motormans being the last one to go if memory serves.

I know for a fact that the place was closed in March 1972, as I dossed down on one of the tables in there one night. The building remaining more or less intact and accessible, although it had obviously been abandoned, with unpaid water rate bills and other final demand letters strewn across the floor.

I believe the building burned to the ground shortly afterwards. " Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, the lone and level sands stretch far away." [ Percy Bysshe Shelley ].

Just as an aside, that looks like a Lancashire United bus to me that’s driving past. Could be wrong of course.

Well Eddie , This is a cracking photo of the old Blue Peter Cafe, With the Floating Light Pub in the distance, I was a reguler attender of the Cafe further down the A62 where you forked left at The Horse & Jockey Pub, It was called Annies Cafe run by two sisters who lived at Delph, It was on the right hand side of the road with a fresh spring water trough, The food was second to none, Plus they were open till 9.00pm at night, & All the nosh was fresh cooked, The good old driving days in my book. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Regards Larry., PS The first time I dined there was in 1957.

Chris Webb:

phop:

Oh right,bottom of Halifax Road then Phop. I haven’t been up there for years,there were no Sainsburys last time I was in area.
Sorry,I don’t recall a café there but I never used that road much when driving for a living.

Carrs stainless?
That’s next to wadsley bridge.
Old horse n cart place.

Sainsbury’s is on part of Fletcher bakery that burnt down about 10yrs ago.

Tinsley cafe is just of roundabout near Harrison’s.

Also used to be Newell and rights cafe near templeborough rolling mill too.
Long gone.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Can’t say that I recall that one if I’m being honest Larry, although I remember The Floating Light, and The Great Western, and there used to be another pub on the left hand side as you were dropping down towards Marsden, but before you got to the Motormans. I’ve forgotten the name of that place though.

Apart from the Blue Peter, the café that I tended to use mostly was the next one down on the right heading towards Huddersfield. I’ve forgotten what the place was called back then, but It’s called The Carriage House now. It appears to have been turned into some kind of fancy eatery. I’ve never ventured into the place, so I don’t know what their prices are like, but they’d sell you a mug of tea the size of the pot that I keep under the bed for a tanner in 1969.

I used that route frequently back in those days, as the job that I had at the time involved carting empty 45 gallon drums from Phillips 66 at Weaste to a place over Dewsbury Moor on the outskirts of Heckmondwike called Williams of Hounslow. The place is probably long gone by now. They made the red dye there that they put in rebated fuel, and all the blokes that worked on the loading bay looked like effin’ apaches, as their hands, arms and faces were bortared with the stuff.

I’d load the TK Bedford flat with full drums of red dye then take them back to Phillips 66.

Speaking of topping up the rad, being a bit green at the time, I omitted to remove the cardboard thermostat that I’d fastened to the radiator grill before setting off back from Heckmondwike on one occasion and cooked the engine of the TK climbing up out of Huddersfield. It was somewhere around Linthwaite or Slaithwaite or one of those places.

I remember knocking on the door of one of those stone built terraced houses and asking the occupant would he mind putting the kettle on for me, which he very kindly did. I poured a full kettle of boiling water into the rad, most of which spewed back out at me, but after about the third kettle, I felt confident enough to run the engine.

I thanked the bloke profusely, and since he appeared to have a house full of kids, most of them seemingly under the age of ten, I bunged him half a crown then set off for the drag over to Oldham.

I probably didn’t do the engine much good to be fair, and it may have used a drop more oil following this incident, but on balance, I think I may have got away with it. And since it’s rapidly approaching the 50th anniversary of the event, I would imagine that the statute of limitations may well have expired by now.

I’d be inclined to agree with you about the old days being the best Larry. Maybe it’s mostly due to the fact that we were young then with everything ahead of us, but the first half of my driving career I find, was far more enjoyable than the latter half.

All the best mate. Eddie.

Wheel Nut:
And why is the World Famous Comfort Cafe World Famous?

It was a popular place for Yankee fly boys,

Then there’s the enterprise at madingly/Bourne the tea pot leaves were only,emptied every night, and started afresh at 0530 all houses now. The gibbet cafe a hotel now. Silverball A10.

Eddie Heaton:
Can’t say that I recall that one if I’m being honest Larry, although I remember The Floating Light, and The Great Western, and there used to be another pub on the left hand side as you were dropping down towards Marsden, but before you got to the Motormans. I’ve forgotten the name of that place though.

Apart from the Blue Peter, the café that I tended to use mostly was the next one down on the right heading towards Huddersfield. I’ve forgotten what the place was called back then, but It’s called The Carriage House now. It appears to have been turned into some kind of fancy eatery. I’ve never ventured into the place, so I don’t know what their prices are like, but they’d sell you a mug of tea the size of the pot that I keep under the bed for a tanner in 1969.

I used that route frequently back in those days, as the job that I had at the time involved carting empty 45 gallon drums from Phillips 66 at Weaste to a place over Dewsbury Moor on the outskirts of Heckmondwike called Williams of Hounslow. The place is probably long gone by now. They made the red dye there that they put in rebated fuel, and all the blokes that worked on the loading bay looked like effin’ apaches, as their hands, arms and faces were bortared with the stuff.

I’d load the TK Bedford flat with full drums of red dye then take them back to Phillips 66.

Speaking of topping up the rad, being a bit green at the time, I omitted to remove the cardboard thermostat that I’d fastened to the radiator grill before setting off back from Heckmondwike on one occasion and cooked the engine of the TK climbing up out of Huddersfield. It was somewhere around Linthwaite or Slaithwaite or one of those places.

I remember knocking on the door of one of those stone built terraced houses and asking the occupant would he mind putting the kettle on for me, which he very kindly did. I poured a full kettle of boiling water into the rad, most of which spewed back out at me, but after about the third kettle, I felt confident enough to run the engine.

I thanked the bloke profusely, and since he appeared to have a house full of kids, most of them seemingly under the age of ten, I bunged him half a crown then set off for the drag over to Oldham.

I probably didn’t do the engine much good to be fair, and it may have used a drop more oil following this incident, but on balance, I think I may have got away with it. And since it’s rapidly approaching the 50th anniversary of the event, I would imagine that the statute of limitations may well have expired by now.

I’d be inclined to agree with you about the old days being the best Larry. Maybe it’s mostly due to the fact that we were young then with everything ahead of us, but the first half of my driving career I find, was far more enjoyable than the latter half.

All the best mate. Eddie.

Hi Eddie, The one you are refering to on the now called The Carriage featured in Last of The Summer, Was called Standedge Services when it openend in the late 50s, One section for the old drivers and one for the tourist lot , It was open 24/7, The nosh was decent and not too dear,I spent few nights in My Cabhotel in those days heading for Manchester & Liverpool, :angry: :angry: :angry: , Regards Larry.

You’re right Larry, it was called Standedge Services. How could I possibly have forgotten that?. Just up the road, there’s a turnoff that takes you to Holmfirth, and a couple of hundred yards along this road, there’s an old quarry.

Now this has no connection whatsoever with wagons or transport cafés, but since the opportunity has presented itself…in the late '60s, me and my mate used to go over to France to look around the old First World War battlefield sites.

Back then, there used to be huge piles of ammo dumped at the side of the roads that the farmers had ploughed up, quite a lot of it unexploded. We used to pile the boot of the car up with this stuff and bring it home with us.

We’d always go through the green lane at Dover… " Anything to declare ? " …" Just a few mementoes of the 1418 mate “…” Let’s have a shufty then,… o.k. off you go lads."…Try to imagine that happening nowadays.

We used to take them up to that old quarry, set a fire going, throw the buggers on, then dodge behind the nearest big rock.

Needless to say, nothing ever happened. The shell cases are probably still there to this day, I wouldn’t know, as I haven’t been up there for a while.

Cheers. Eddie.

Eddie Heaton:
You’re right Larry, it was called Standedge Services. How could I possibly have forgotten that?. Just up the road, there’s a turnoff that takes you to Holmfirth, and a couple of hundred yards along this road, there’s an old quarry.

Now this has no connection whatsoever with wagons or transport cafés, but since the opportunity has presented itself…in the late '60s, me and my mate used to go over to France to look around the old First World War battlefield sites.

Back then, there used to be huge piles of ammo dumped at the side of the roads that the farmers had ploughed up, quite a lot of it unexploded. We used to pile the boot of the car up with this stuff and bring it home with us.

We’d always go through the green lane at Dover… " Anything to declare ? " …" Just a few mementoes of the 1418 mate “…” Let’s have a shufty then,… o.k. off you go lads."…Try to imagine that happening nowadays.

We used to take them up to that old quarry, set a fire going, throw the buggers on, then dodge behind the nearest big rock.

Needless to say, nothing ever happened. The shell cases are probably still there to this day, I wouldn’t know, as I haven’t been up there for a while.

Cheers. Eddie.

Eddie you have been a naughtey boy in your time, Just think these old shells will be collectors items thesedays :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Getting back to the old cafes, Standedge Services IIRC Changed to The Eagles Nest in later years,Of course when the M62 opened it put pay to them, Exept Motormans who kept going until last year when the finished trading, The good old days Eh., Regards Larry.

Sadley now closed down, Regards Larry.

Called twice this yr and it’s been shut ,this confirms it another one gone .

Punchy Dan:
Called twice this yr and it’s been shut ,this confirms it another one gone .

Probably saw you pulling up twice Dan’l and quickly closed up ! Anon1.

What a great subject for old tarmac junkies, I’ve spent the last 2 days looking through these posts and it certainly revived some memories. Channing’s café just south of Stratford on Avon on the old A34 (now A3400) was a good place en route to the Morris factory at Cowley or down to Southampton or London. Further on south between Long Compton and Chipping Norton on the downward hill was a real dump just wooden shack off a lay by in some bushes, no running water, the under growth was the toilets. A café by Neville Meluish farm machinery depot was another place to stop now a little chef type of place. The Clearways café at the bottom of death hill near Brands Hatch on the old A20 was a rough old place, if you could leave there before 6.15 a.m. going north you could go straight through the centre of London across Vauxhall bridge before 7.30 a.m. you would get a good run up through the Edgware Rd. to the M 1. That was the early 70’s, it would take hour’s nowadays that if h.g.v’s were allowed in that area.
Keep your elbows in lads.