Nostalgia!!

HRS:

Kazza68:
Hey does anyone remember Webb’s light transport, Mossley.
My dad who recently passed away used to be a driver and I’m trying desperately to find a picture of one of the trucks he used to drive. He started there in April 1972 and worked there for maybe 10 years, I’m not exactly sure.
I’m sure the truck was a Leyland, and pale blue in colour. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Kazza68. Just come accross your post. If you have had no luck to this request try "Paul Gee’s photo’s"the lads on this site cover a huge area, good luck. Harvey

i mt jst seen u post i wrk 4 webs 1972 but i have not got any pictures it was a layland pale blue e ad a 4 wheeler ford an abot 4 tranist i cant rember u dads name e was a thick set lad is jst come 2 me e was called tony

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Got to keep this Nostalgia thread going before it dries up altogether.
A couple of cards here,one for the Telex Motel,that was where all the European truckers spent a night when passing through Ankara.
The other one is for Mustafa’s souvenir shop at the Oryx garage at Incirlik in southern Turkey.It was on the corner of the road leading into the Americam Air Force Base,used to get several Yanks in the restauraunt of an evening.
If you ordered something at the souvenir shop as you were heading down to Baghdad,you could pick it up on the way back,the usual thing was a chunky silver or gold bracelet cast with your name on,I’ve still got mine somewhere.

Think you can load timber?You don’t know untill you see the way the Lebanese truckers get 30 tonnes on to go down to Saudi.They would cross the H4 desert loaded like this,but with 24 inch tyres all round and double drive,they had better traction in the sand than we had.This is at Ramtha,the crossing into Jordan from Syria.

If any of you are on the “Flash Earth” or similar satellite viewing progs.,zoom into Saudi Arabia and find these locations.

“The Mirrors” Latitude 28deg 22’ 39" N
Longditude 45deg 57’ 43" E

“Kaf” oasis.Latitude 31deg 23’ 26"N
Longditude 37deg 29’ 44"N

Turaif, Latitude 31deg 40’51" N
Longditude 38deg 40’ 18" N

From Turaif you can see the new road,(as it was then)leaving town at about 8 o’clock.The original desert crossing is dead North out of town,you can see the tracks across the desert.
Turaif was the original Saudi border post until the “new road” opened,then “Haditha” became the new frontier.
You can scroll anywhere on this map to find the destinations we are talking about.If you scroll down the tapline from Turaif,you will see the only villages in hundreds of miles,A’rar and Rafha.They are little more than settlements around a pumping station on the tapline.
I don’t remember there being ANY houses around “the mirrors”,only the filling station on the corner,then when the new road to Riyhad opened there was a new truckstop just round the corner on the new road.But look at it now!

Nice one Bestbooties
I have retraced some of my old trips using Google Earth. Beats trainspotting doesnt it.
Have you seen the new Derraa border. I bet its organised chaos when the convoy gets in there.
GS

“Flash Earth” gives you a choice of which or whos view you prefer.If you go for the one “with labels”,for folks who haven’t been down that way will know where we’re talking about.

Bestbooties
You got me all nostalgic again. …This morning on BBC World News, I saw the queue of Turk Tonkas …on the road to Habur. It looks even worse nowadays.
So, this morning, after launching my ski-boats and getting my dive boat loaded and on its way ( this Caribbean business is just like transport) I locked myself in my office and got on Google Earth…I managed one hit from Zakho to Khafji, via Hafar. ( I wandered off to Kuwait and on and on…)
Then I did Al Umari to Turaiyf, via Kaf followed by Ar’Ar, and Rafha. Filled up, coffee and got going.
Have you seen the intersection at the Mirrors!! amazing. Its just like the real world now.
I was thinking about the job the other day and my mind wandered to the Phillipino tanker drivers, you would see them on the TAP Line, they used to cover the inside of their windscreens with cardboard, to keep the sun out and just have a small viewing panel to see out of. What was that all about?? No wonder they used to fall off the road!! and turn over then burst into flames.
Did you used to go the short cut on the Camel road from the TAP Line to Hofuf?? where Rick hit the Camel.
That was the truck that Dave Button had when I was on for Roy Bradford at Lawrabian. Do you remember ■■■■ Ralph?? killed himself when he run his transcon into a Saudi truck just before Salwha Border.
What a mess… RIP Ralph .
GS
GS

GS OVERLAND:
Bestbooties
You got me all nostalgic again. …This morning on BBC World News, I saw the queue of Turk Tonkas …on the road to Habur. It looks even worse nowadays.
So, this morning, after launching my ski-boats and getting my dive boat loaded and on its way ( this Caribbean business is just like transport) I locked myself in my office and got on Google Earth…I managed one hit from Zakho to Khafji, via Hafar. ( I wandered off to Kuwait and on and on…)
Then I did Al Umari to Turaiyf, via Kaf followed by Ar’Ar, and Rafha. Filled up, coffee and got going.
Have you seen the intersection at the Mirrors!! amazing. Its just like the real world now.
I was thinking about the job the other day and my mind wandered to the Phillipino tanker drivers, you would see them on the TAP Line, they used to cover the inside of their windscreens with cardboard, to keep the sun out and just have a small viewing panel to see out of. What was that all about?? No wonder they used to fall off the road!! and turn over then burst into flames.
Did you used to go the short cut on the Camel road from the TAP Line to Hofuf?? where Rick hit the Camel.
That was the truck that Dave Button had when I was on for Roy Bradford at Lawrabian. Do you remember [zb] Ralph?? killed himself when he run his transcon into a Saudi truck just before Salwha Border.
What a mess… RIP Ralph .
GS
GS

Hi GS,
Yeah I did say that there was only the filling station on the corner at the “mirrors”,then a new one round the corner after they opened the “new road”.There’s been some house building going on there!
That Camel road as you call it was also fairly new,I went down it a couple of times,it did cut the corner and save a few miles.
Don’t remember Ralph.

The Camel road came out here somewhere didn’t it?

Hi Bestbooties
Yes the Camel road started at Al Wariyah I think, and came out on to the big multilane Highway just outside Hofuf. You had to go over the top of the Riyahd-Damam Highway and keep going until the big refinery, then there was a slip road near Mubarraz, which took you onto the Hofuf Highway. You had to go through Ayn Dar.
I remember one trip coming home during the Gulf War, there were loads of yanks based in the desert, Patriots and all, and in one village there were some Humvees parked up and the troops were all standig taking turns at the phone box, there was a shop advertising Burgers, and a butchers two doors along with a camels head hanging on a meat hook outside, advertising fresh meat!!
I kept going but it seemed popular with the yank soldiers.
That road was so dangerous at night, because the camels were just wandering about across the road, in the dark, I nearly hit them on a few occasions, they never had any lights on!! a bit like the Iraqi trucks and the Syrian trucks.
GS

Yeah,camels sleeping in the road on the tapline at night were a bit of a risk,as were donkeys that would stand in the middle of the road head on so you did not see them till the last minute.

Does anyone have any photos of kv series rugby cement trucks?

Hi, just wondering if there are any truckers on here who worked for Norfolk Line way back in the 70’s onward?

This guy rolled his DAF 2600 on the way home from Teheran…

The best time to travel down the Tapline in the summer…

An owner/driver subbing for Astran.Carrying large cable reels destination Baghdad.Just into Iraq heading for Mosul customs when the load shifted.Driver,name of Adrian Slaughter,in hospital in Baghdad,his truck into customs in Mosul.

I had come back bobtail from Mosul to look for him.

South Eastern Turkey in the early days,heading for Iraq.Big Rod driving for Pan Express in a Scania 141 in front.

Destination,Kuwait.You are not allowed to sleep in your truck in Kuwait,so our address is,The Golden Beach Hotel.

My dad, Gwynne Jones, fondly known as Taffy on the roads, (4th from left).
I’d love to know more about cawoods.

TIDDERSON:
Haven’t found a photo of EVG 249 but got this Peter Davies one of EVG 250

Not the one you mentioned but wondered if you’ve seen this one I spotted a while ago.

On my first trip to Saudi,I left UK without a Saudi visa and was told to "Get one on the way"By the time I got to Damascus I began to think I was leaving it a bit late,and some fellow travellers were in the same boat and said they always called in to see Sammi Sarisi in Damascus,he was the agent for most firms,English and European ,and could fix anything,for a price!Sammi sent a runner off to Beruit with a bag full of passports requiring visas.Now at this time,1975,there was a war on in Beruit,and although normally it was a few hours run each way,what with dodging bullets and waiting around for the visas,this guy was gone for 3 days!
The first night,some of us decided to spend in a hotel for a change,so we booked into the Sultan.
At breakfast the next morning,we were giving our breakfast order to the waiter,a smart,elderly gent.As each of us ordered,he repeated the order back to be sure it was correct. One guy ordered boiled eggs,and the waiter repeated his order as,“Boylecks for you sir”
The driver answered back,“No,I asked for boiled eggs,not bollix”.
The waiter,not batting an eyelid replied,“Sir,after 25 years in the British Army,I do know the diference between boylecks and bollix!”
This brought the house down,we fell about laughing for half an hour or more.