Northwest Trucks

A Company that’s still operating today.

Wilson’s Brewery Newton Heath Manchester-- Thornycrofts

Express dairy entering the lloyd Road dairy Manchester

express lorry lloyd road.jpg
Brewliners were a offshoot of Wilson/Watney one of there depots was in the Halifax area.A mate of mine Eddie Nuttall transferred over to them from being on a dray lorry and drove for them for a few years running into the Newton Heath depot until the job stopped.

Never knew that these were such a big outfit 85 trucks plus.Based in Bolton Head Office + depots at Deeside & Sheffield

Nigel’s annual slide show at Truckhaven Oct 14th

Hollands pies still being made at Baxenden.

Hollands Bedfords.jpg
This TK finished up in the lodge at the bottom of their yard :blush: Bet the pies were a little soggy :unamused: :laughing:

Stanfield:
Hollands pies still being made at Baxenden.

120 This TK finished up in the lodge at the bottom of their yard :blush: Bet the pies were a little soggy :unamused: :laughing:

Moved to Norfolk from Manchester 35 years ago and still have a craving for Holland’s Steak and kidney and meat pies. I am sure they taste better when they are matured for a few days in local chippy hot pie cabinets? Looking’s at your flicker links and Manchester is a blast from the past. Early 1960s I worked for Mothers Pride Bread Old Trafford and delivered bread to Motorman’s Cafe Marsden. When I started lorry driving would call in to Motorman’s prior to the M62 opening. My first lorry job late 1960s was with an Irish freight company Williames Airfreight Groupage transport Group at Trafford Park, taken over by NIT, Woodsides now part of IFS Global ifsgroup.com/air-freight/wil … eight.aspx Short time worked for Aidleys of Urmston when they were based at a yard in Urmston Town, 1970s moved to a yard in Trafford Park. They had contracts with Kellogg’s Barton dock road, Shell plastics Carrington. Worked for a short while for Smiths of Eccles, MAT fleet services MIFT, Humko KRAFT Westinghouse road then Smith and Robinsons Tankers Taylor road Urmston until I moved to Norfolk 1985. Never worked for Allens transport Westinghouse Road but remember they had quite a few Commer two strokes. On nights you would be able to spot them in the distance, sparks and flames from exhausts some 5 miles away! Mid 1970s changed fleet to mixture MANs ERF Fodens. They were main contractors for Metro Vickers works (AEI) (GEC) Westinghouse road.
KEV

I must admit to being a Hollands Steak and Kidney Pudding kid many years ago, were they really the food of the gods back then. :smiley:

Brewster Craven. How long will it be before somebody comments about him not having both legs on the ground, one leg behind the other. :unamused:

Holden’s Of Blackburn.

ERF3_zpsc9251ed7.jpg

Here’s a blast from the past.

Nice one Paul, I worked for Biestys for 5yrs in the garage until they were taken over and we were made redundant. This was before i went to Townson in 75.Same lorry on the stand at Motor Show

Another Manchester based tipper firm for you John. :smiley:

Thanks for that Paul.I well remember Beatties who were based in Ardwick as we lived next door but one to a lad called Sylvester Fagan who drove for them for many years and on the occasions I didnt go out with my dad I sometimes went with Syl over to the collieries in yorkshire this was during school holidays and then when I left school to start my apprenticeship in motor mechanics I would help him and my Dad at weekends greasing their lorries which at that time (1960) they were allowed to park at home,happy days and not a care in the world.
This is a photo of Syl Fagan with one of the motors he drove for E & F Beattie.

003.jpg

Stanfield:
Thanks for that Paul.I well remember Beatties who were based in Ardwick as we lived next door but one to a lad called Sylvester Fagan who drove for them for many years and on the occasions I didnt go out with my dad I sometimes went with Syl over to the collieries in yorkshire this was during school holidays and then when I left school to start my apprenticeship in motor mechanics I would help him and my Dad at weekends greasing their lorries which at that time (1960) they were allowed to park at home,happy days and not a care in the world.
This is a photo of Syl Fagan with one of the motors he drove for E & F Beattie.

I remember seeing Beatties as a kid,late 40s early 50s,going through Baslow towards Peak Forest and Stockport,along with Mullans and other tipper firms.Endless procession of wagons.There was a bench at the triangle in Baslow and a notice on it said “Sit a while and wonder why,the world on wheels goes rushing by”. :smiley:

Beatties garage on Matthews street Ardwick.

Ray

Just found these photos for sale on ebay they may have possibly been added to other thread on here somewhere my apologies if so (NMP)

Edward Beck

Gilbraith

Killingbeck

Stanfield:
Just found these photos for sale on ebay they may have possibly been added to other thread on here somewhere my apologies if so (NMP)

Edward Beck2
Gilbraith 1
Killingbeck 0

Edward Becks moved some massive loads through Manchester before Motorways. I remember driving along the A6 mid 1960s and stuck behind an Edward Beck lorry South of Stockport area. I think the huge load was from Mirrlees Marine engineers Stockport now (Mirrlees Blackstone). There was a hold up either an accident or Becks had width problems. I tried to work a flanker and used back streets and I came out a few miles down the road at Hazel Grove and you guessed Becks had beaten me. Nice video’s of Becks.
youtu.be/dK-TystgY5U
flickr.com/photos/edward_be … otostream/

kevmorrow:
Edward Becks moved some massive loads through Manchester before Motorways. I remember driving along the A6 mid 1960s and stuck behind an Edward Beck lorry South of Stockport area. I think the huge load was from Mirrlees Marine engineers Stockport now (Mirrlees Blackstone). There was a hold up either an accident or Becks had width problems. I tried to work a flanker and used back streets and I came out a few miles down the road at Hazel Grove and you guessed Becks had beaten me.

In December 1962 Edward Beck & Son undertook a job on behalf of Daniel Adamson & Co Ltd which involved transporting one of the biggest loads ever to cross the Pennines at that time.
Destined for the Arabian-American oil refinery in Saudi Arabia the 121 foot long welded steel pressure column would take four days to arrived at Middlesbrough docks.
In 1962 there was no M62 over the Pennines so the route taken was carefully planned using ‘A’ roads which passed through places such as Ashton-under-Lyne, Saddleworth, Huddersfield, Leeds etc on a journey which took four days.
The movement was well documented at the time and i would imagine somewhere out there is quite a number of other images taken during that long journey.

Pictured here heading down the A627 towards Dukinfield the 121 foot load was guided at the rear by rear steers men who were in contact with the driver by wired telephone equipment.

Hauled by Edward Beck’s ‘Big Bopper’ the load makes it’s way through Dukinfield.
Fred Cutmore, manager of the machinery handling side at Beck’s, is pictured getting into the car.

After collecting this 121 foot long welded steel pressure column from the Daniel Adamson & Co Ltd factory in Dukinfield the load slowly makes its way down the A670 Stamford Street into the town of Mossley in Tameside.

Destined for Middlesbrough docks, a journey which took four days to complete in the days before the building of the M62, this was one of the biggest loads ever to cross the Pennines at that time.

More images and details on this load movement on the Edward Beck website HERE

moomooland:

kevmorrow:
Edward Becks moved some massive loads through Manchester before Motorways. I remember driving along the A6 mid 1960s and stuck behind an Edward Beck lorry South of Stockport area. I think the huge load was from Mirrlees Marine engineers Stockport now (Mirrlees Blackstone). There was a hold up either an accident or Becks had width problems. I tried to work a flanker and used back streets and I came out a few miles down the road at Hazel Grove and you guessed Becks had beaten me.

In December 1962 Edward Beck & Son undertook a job on behalf of Daniel Adamson & Co Ltd which involved transporting one of the biggest loads ever to cross the Pennines at that time.
Destined for the Arabian-American oil refinery in Saudi Arabia the 121 foot long welded steel pressure column would take four days to arrived at Middlesbrough docks.
In 1962 there was no M62 over the Pennines so the route taken was carefully planned using ‘A’ roads which passed through places such as Ashton-under-Lyne, Saddleworth, Huddersfield, Leeds etc on a journey which took four days.
The movement was well documented at the time and i would imagine somewhere out there is quite a number of other images taken during that long journey.
1Pictured here heading down the A627 towards Dukinfield the 121 foot load was guided at the rear by rear steers men who were in contact with the driver by wired telephone equipment.
0Hauled by Edward Beck’s ‘Big Bopper’ the load makes it’s way through Dukinfield.
Fred Cutmore, manager of the machinery handling side at Beck’s, is pictured getting into the car.

More images and details on this load movement on the Edward Beck website HERE

I bet it was interesting when they got to the bridge by Globe lane industrial estate

ramone:
I bet it was interesting when they got to the bridge by Globe lane industrial estate

Fortunately they turned right coming out of Dewsnap Lane on to King Street towards Duckinfield so did not have to negotiate the bridge.

With a Ford Thames 400E 15 cwt service van in support at the rear the abnormal load continues it’s journey along Cavendish Street towards Ashton under Lyne.

moomooland:

ramone:

Fortunately they turned right coming out of Dewsnap Lane on to King Street towards Duckinfield so did not have to negotiate the bridge.

0With a Ford Thames 400E 15 cwt service van in support at the rear the abnormal load continues it’s journey along Cavendish Street towards Ashton under Lyne.

Very wise :wink:

002-1.jpg