Northwest Trucks

I can recall enjoy seeing Cusicks motors mainly Guys in my part of the country ( central Scotland ) presumably having been trunked overnight from Manchester to their Glasgow depot , if my memory serves me right the motors were a brown colour with white sign writing ?

One of Gilbraiths Scammells in the advert.

Click on page twice.

Ray Smyth:
I am surprised that I had not heard of Cusick Transport in the past. Ray Smyth.

Here’s a few more for you Ray…

Hollinwood depot shot showing part of Cusick’s impressive line up of Maudslay Mogul four wheeler’s.

Five Guy Invincible eight leggers from Cusick’s Thornton Street depot in Collyhurst Manchester.
All were supplied new by Lancashire Guy dealer T.G.B. Motors who also owned Primrose Third Axle Conversions.
(Click on picture for widescreen view.)

Guy Otter Reg No TVM 332 pictured here parked just off Victoria Avenue Blackley outside some post war pre-fab houses.

One of Cusick’s AEC Mammoth Major eight wheeler’s loading up with coil steel.

moomooland:

Ray Smyth:
I am surprised that I had not heard of Cusick Transport in the past. Ray Smyth.

Here’s a few more for you Ray…

4Hollinwood depot shot showing part of Cusick’s impressive line up of Maudslay Mogul four wheeler’s.

3Five Guy Invincible eight leggers from Cusick’s Thornton Street depot in Collyhurst Manchester.
All were supplied new by Lancashire Guy dealer T.G.B. Motors who also owned Primrose Third Axle Conversions.
(Click on picture for widescreen view.)

2Guy Otter Reg No TVM 332 pictured here parked just off Victoria Avenue Blackley outside some post war pre-fab houses.

1One of Cusick’s AEC Mammoth Major eight wheeler’s loading up with coil steel.

Paul, As ever, you have posted some more great pictures, Thank you. You have crossed my mind a few times recently.
About 8 a.m. in a morning when I am having my bowl of porridge, I have been watching “Juliet Bravo” on Channel 20 on
Freeview. A lot of it is filmed in Burnley, Bacup, Rawtenstall, and Colne, and very often there are scenes of lorries,
I have seen Atlas Express, P & O, Gilbraith, and Burnley buses. Perhaps one of Ridings may appear soon. Regards, Ray.

Seddon advert from 1968. Check the price out. :smiley:

DEANB:

Roughly £47k in today’s money.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

DEANB:
One of Gilbraiths Scammells in the advert.

Click on page twice.

Harking back over 40 years the two Gennis Brothers who were the owners of Northern Trailers were a right pair of "Cockney/Jewish wide boys ! They got my Transport manager absolutely paralytic on G &T in Glasgow in their suite at a hotel close to the Kelvin Hall which was holding that year’s Commercial Motor show ! One of the brothers was called Harry ( just forget his brothers name) tried to sell my manager TWO 50 ft tandem trailers ! I kid you not. I could never understand why Northern were Robsons of Carlisle main trailer suppliers as I cannot see Stan putting up with those two “Monkeys” antics !! I reckon you would need to count your fingers after shaking hands with those two. OH! and I believe Davis Bros/ Charles Poulter were big customers of Northern so that would figure I suppose ! Cheers Bewick.

DEANB:

I have said in previous posts that this spec of Seddon was, in it’s day, the cheapest nastiest 32 tonner in it’s class, what noisy bags of ■■■■■ they really were ! The Guy Big J of a similar spec would have also only been a couple of hundred pounds dearer I believe ! Guess who ran many hundreds of both marques ? yes, good 'ole BRS ! Decent hauliers wouldn’t touch either of these heaps with a barge Pole IMHO ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

DEANB:

I have said in previous posts that this spec of Seddon was, in it’s day, the cheapest nastiest 32 tonner in it’s class, what noisy bags of [zb] they really were ! The Guy Big J of a similar spec would have also only been a couple of hundred pounds dearer I believe ! Guess who ran many hundreds of both marques ? yes, good 'ole BRS ! Decent hauliers wouldn’t touch either of these heaps with a barge Pole IMHO ! Cheers Bewick.

Come on Dennis, don’t sit on the fence! Say what you really think :laughing:

I imagine that the DB gearbox was the weak link in those Seddons? We had some Fodens with the Rolls 220 and we couldn’t fault the actual engines (a set of liners after a few years, otherwise they were hardly touched and the fleet later became entirely Rolls engined) but the Foden gearbox suffered with cracked casings (compared to the Gardner engined ones) and basically the 'box couldn’t stand the power/speed and disintegrated! The Fuller boxes mated with them weren’t too bad though, a few problems but overall they were OK.

Pete.

240 Gardner:

Bewick:

DEANB:

I have said in previous posts that this spec of Seddon was, in it’s day, the cheapest nastiest 32 tonner in it’s class, what noisy bags of [zb] they really were ! The Guy Big J of a similar spec would have also only been a couple of hundred pounds dearer I believe ! Guess who ran many hundreds of both marques ? yes, good 'ole BRS ! Decent hauliers wouldn’t touch either of these heaps with a barge Pole IMHO ! Cheers Bewick.

Come on Dennis, don’t sit on the fence! Say what you really think :laughing:

I trust you do not want me to get “personal” about the Redmonds Chris ? It was them that designed the SA ! so don’t get me started about the failings of that debacle either! But I will say again that the Seddon 32/4 RR220 was one nasty bag of ■■■■■ !! And I trust ( and hope) you of all people would concur ! Cheers Dennis.

Not even your old muckers, the Smith lads from Madiston, Dennis? Surely they knew what a decent lorry the Fallings park marque was? Especially when fitted with THAT 8-cylinder lump!

That is, if any of them actually got delivered and were not grabbed off the M6 to have the motors changed in ■■■■■■■■ :unamused:
Just can’t let it lie!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Retired Old ■■■■:
Not even your old muckers, the Smith lads from Madiston, Dennis? Surely they knew what a decent lorry the Fallings park marque was? Especially when fitted with THAT 8-cylinder lump!

That is, if any of them actually got delivered and were not grabbed off the M6 to have the motors changed in ■■■■■■■■ :unamused:

Just can’t let it lie!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

But SOM didn’t run any RR engine units, they were big ■■■■■■■ operators ! Cheers Bewick.

Wot, no 240 Gardners■■?

harry_gill:
Bowkers of Blackburn moved the largest consignment of oranges from
Liverpool to London and all points everywhere in one, in the post-war
years, I remember seeing the picture in their office when I worked at
their Blackburn depot, I’ll dare bet the pic is still around somewhere.

There you go Harry. :smiley:

moomooland:

harry_gill:

Hiya,
That’s the one M M L I remember I was on the carpet getting a bollocking,
I seem to remember I’d clocked out and was in the pub across the road
when the incident happened , it would have upset Bill Bowker having to
apologise, that was the one and only time I was on the “mat” and I was
innocent but see the picture above I did.

harry_gill:

moomooland:

harry_gill:

Hiya,
That’s the one M M L I remember I was on the carpet getting a bollocking,
I seem to remember I’d clocked out and was in the pub across the road
when the incident happened , it would have upset Bill Bowker having to
apologise, that was the one and only time I was on the “mat” and I was
innocent but see the picture above I did.

It was 1935, Harry :wink: The photo, that is, not you…

From a period text:

“In this instance, six Leyland vehicles were used to collect 3,000 cases containing 750,000 oranges from Liverpool, for delivery at Covent Garden in time for the next day’s 6 a.m. market.”

This was thought to be a record for a single consignment to one buyer but, a few weeks later, an even larger consignment comprising 9,000 cases, was transported from Canning Dock, Liverpool, although this wasn’t an order for a single buyer.

Bewick:
I trust you do not want me to get “personal” about the Redmonds Chris ? It was them that designed the SA ! so don’t get me started about the failings of that debacle either! But I will say again that the Seddon 32/4 RR220 was one nasty bag of [zb] !! And I trust ( and hope) you of all people would concur ! Cheers Dennis.

You can for me, Dennis - go for it! :laughing:

240 Gardner:

Bewick:
I trust you do not want me to get “personal” about the Redmonds Chris ? It was them that designed the SA ! so don’t get me started about the failings of that debacle either! But I will say again that the Seddon 32/4 RR220 was one nasty bag of [zb] !! And I trust ( and hope) you of all people would concur ! Cheers Dennis.

You can for me, Dennis - go for it! :laughing:

I recall that Malc Woodhouse Snr. and me attended the launch of the SA 400 at Rylands Warrington and at one point we were stood behind the two Redmonds ( Snr & Jnr ) so we commented loudly that whoever had decided to locate the air intake under the n/s wing must be a total idiot ! The Redmonds did not challenge our opinion but just sidled off “stage left” ! When all was said and done both the Atkinson Borderer and the Seddon 32/4 had their air filters fixed well up behind the cab, perfect ! Our first Sed/Atks ran straight into trouble with rain ingress into the filter. We had to undertake modifications ourselves as SA were incapable of responding at the time. So in came the first Volvos and Scanias onto the Bewick and Woodhouse fleets ! Cheers Dennis.

Paul, one from your part of the world. Boden trailers ring a bell ?

Advert from 1967. Click on page twice.