Northwest Trucks

Chris Webb:
What a nice photo of an Albion Reiver.

It’s somebody “and sons” from Widnes,when Widnes were in Lancashire. :smiley:

Hiya,
A blind man on a flying horse can see it’s not a Leyland or an Albion it’s
a Dodge you can tell by t’bottom ot’ shed , of course were it going
across Yorkshire tha wouldn’t be able to see fert clag.

gingerfold:

toxic gas man:
I think the DODGE might be one of Grenfell Haulage they were in Albert rd in Widnes and did work for Bushes ,later Albright and Wilson.Ted.

“I’ve enlarged the photo, the DODGE was C. Fewston & Sons of Widnes. The sheeted van AEC Mercury in the background was Chris Metcalfe of Keighley, and I think the location might have been the slip road from the Mancunian Way that joins the A6 London Road where the Mcdonald Hotel is nowadays”

Looks like a load of chlorine cylinders an a few acid Carboys, maybe an ICI Runcorn delivery ?
Not sure yo would get away with strapping down loads like that nowadays

This 1960 L.A.D. Cabbed Dodge 4 wheeler Reg No 2249 WX was operated by Norman Jowett of Todmorden.

Note the single windscreen wiper blade and nearside mirror which looks like it has come off a Lambareta scooter. :smiley:

harry_gill:

Chris Webb:

Hiya,

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Anybody can mek a mistake,even a Yorkshire lad like misen.
And as fer t’clag in Yorkshire,well it drifts across from Lancashire ont prevailing wind.

Tha knows.

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

^^^ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

For comparison purposes LAD cabbed Albion Reiver and LAD cabbed Leyland Comet. Compared with the Dodge, the latter as Mr Gill succinctly phrased it has a completely different bottom half. And the Dodge version had, in my opinion, a nicer instrument cluster and dash board. Looking at the three versions closely then all three were quite different from the windscreen down. Probably only the main frame and floor pans were common to all three. Motor Panels made the cabs by the way, if anyone didn’t know.

leyland_comet.jpeg

Chris Webb:

harry_gill:

Chris Webb:

Hiya,

And as fer t’clag in Yorkshire,well it drifts across from Lancashire ont prevailing wind.

Tha knows.

Hiya,
Mr Webb tha’ll tell mi owt.

harry_gill:

Chris Webb:

harry_gill:

Chris Webb:

Hiya,

Tha knows.

Hiya,
Mr Webb tha’ll tell mi owt.

Eyup Harry.
Aye,seeing as thas a Lancashire escapee to Co. Durham to escape t’clag. :grimacing:

LAD Cabs

Derbyshire Stone 1965 C reg Dodge 6 wheeler.jpg

Proof, if proof were needed, John! Thanks. :laughing:

For a short period I worked out of Shell Chemicals and remember one of Laings construction gaffers Sammy Ward from Glasgow had worked on the CIS building 1962. He is the chap sat down closer to the camera.
Quote from forum Manchester Evening News. “This photograph shows construction workers on the CIS building in 1962. Clearly Health and safety regulations weren’t quite as tight as they are now. Victoria station can be clearly seen below the work men in this photo”.
Sammy Ward
Kev

A few more 1960’s shots from around the North West.

October 1962 at the end of the A34 Kingsway at the junction of Moseley Road Levenshulme Manchester.

A6 Hyde Road Ardwick roundabout October 1962.

Dickenson Road Rusholme February 1963.

Eugene Elliot Ltd Cross Keys Street Ancoats Manchester February 1963.

Fairlawn Street Moss Side Manchester July 1964.

Part of a road safety campaign near the Piccadilly Hotel October 1965.

Deansgate Cross Street Junction Manchester 1966

Just off Princess Parkway July 1966.

Deansgate Manchester 1967.

kevmorrow:
For a short period I worked out of Shell Chemicals and remember one of Laings construction gaffers Sammy Ward from Glasgow had worked on the CIS building 1962. He is the chap sat down closer to the camera.
Quote from forum Manchester Evening News. “This photograph shows construction workers on the CIS building in 1962. Clearly Health and safety regulations weren’t quite as tight as they are now. Victoria station can be clearly seen below the work men in this photo”.
Sammy Ward
Kev

Thats a cracking photo Kev, they were mad back then ! i dont mind heights but im buggered if i could go out on that jib like that ! Looks like a couple of the ones
stood up may have saftey ropes attached !!! :open_mouth: Great pic.

moomooland:
A few more 1960’s shots from around the North West.

October 1962 at the end of the A34 Kingsway at the junction of Moseley Road Levenshulme Manchester.

A6 Hyde Road Ardwick roundabout October 1962.

Dickenson Road Rusholme February 1963.

Eugene Elliot Ltd Cross Keys Street Ancoats Manchester February 1963.

Fairlawn Street Moss Side Manchester July 1964.

Part of a road safety campaign near the Piccadilly Hotel October 1965.

Deansgate Cross Street Junction Manchester 1966

Just off Princess Parkway July 1966.

Some cracking black and white pics there Paul. :smiley:

George Thompson Transport.

What a great set of photos,pity that it wasn’t a full shot of the Cawoods tanker int first picture,an AEC more than likely.
The Batchelors Albion will be one of H Bradleys Ltd,who were the main contractor for Batchelors at Wadsley Bridge,Sheffield 6.

Chris Webb:
What a great set of photos,pity that it wasn’t a full shot of the Cawoods tanker int first picture,an AEC more than likely.
The Batchelors Albion will be one of H Bradleys Ltd,who were the main contractor for Batchelors at Wadsley Bridge,Sheffield 6.

Yes superb photos yet again from MML. The Cawoods tanker is a LAD Leyland Octopus from the the rear axle hubs. That photo is a great picture of old and contemporary; the old Salford City Transport Daimler CG6; compared with the relatively new Atlanteans; the quite new Ford Anglia, and is that an elderly Jowett Bradford builder’s van?

kevmorrow:
Sammy Ward
Kev

Hiya,
Just stood on a chair to change a lightbulb and had a dizzy spell,
these guys must have nerves of steel, admiration gentlemen.

harry_gill:

kevmorrow:
Sammy Ward
Kev

Hiya,
Just stood on a chair to change a lightbulb and had a dizzy spell,
these guys must have nerves of steel, admiration gentlemen.

Hi a Harry
I used to get vertigo on top of load sheeting up especially on a windy day.

I remember very well the local steel erectors who got killed building Barton Bridge M62 1959. That day we were helping my brother who had just moved into his first house at Lostock Barton Road Stretford only a few hundred yards away from the disaster. Tragic.

Noticed no comments on the MAT Transport Hull or MIFT lately but wonder if it is age related as we are not getting any younger.
Just spotted your Harry Gill Fan Club viewtopic.php?f=35&t=92759&p=2565271#p2565271
Cheers Kev

thNC0CL1F7.jpg

For a short while back in the early eighties we had a lad who drove a Foden sand tanker based at Tilcon’s Meriden sand pit and he had been a steel erector. I asked him what it was like; he said “If you can walk along a 6” wide girder laying on the ground then it’s no different walking along one 200ft up" but I didn’t really believe that! :unamused:

Pete.

windrush:
For a short while back in the early eighties we had a lad who drove a Foden sand tanker based at Tilcon’s Meriden sand pit and he had been a steel erector. I asked him what it was like; he said “If you can walk along a 6” wide girder laying on the ground then it’s no different walking along one 200ft up" but I didn’t really believe that! :unamused:

Pete.

Hiya,
Neither do I believe it Pete I didn’t like looking down from a high load
and that would be a minimum of eight feet in width getting down was
the hard part for me trying to find the headboard with my feet and my
eyes shut, I don’t think I was cut out to be a lorry driver I should’ve not
left the coalmines my wage halved and my hours doubled.