Northwest Trucks

Lawrence Dunbar:

I drove one the same Larry , RR 290 , 9 speed Fuller and went like crap off a shiny shovel . It was nearing the end of its life when I got it and when it was eventually retired I got stuck with an ERF with the L10 ■■■■■■■ , what a comedown .

rigsby:

Lawrence Dunbar:

I drove one the same Larry , RR 290 , 9 speed Fuller and went like crap off a shiny shovel . It was nearing the end of its life when I got it and when it was eventually retired I got stuck with an ERF with the L10 ■■■■■■■ , what a comedown .

Well “rigsby” My two cousins were Foden men, In fact Commercial Truck Services at Darlington where we used to get our spares said they new more about Fodens than Foden did, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , The older one with the wooley hat used to modify everything to improve performance & fuel ecconomy, Regards Larry.

All photos from the Manchester Archive flickr site
E&F Beattie Breakdown/Workshop Van on Hyde Rd near to Belle Vue

J Watkinson Albion Reiver on demolition work in Manchester during the 60s

J H Peck Leyland Comet

W Carr & Son from leeds at the junction Mount Rd/Hyde Rd Belle Vue

Here’s one for you John. :smiley:

moomooland:
Here’s one for you John. :smiley:

That’s a great photo MML,well found!

David

Stanfield:
E&F Beattie Breakdown/Workshop Van on Hyde Rd near to Belle Vue3
J Watkinson Albion Reiver on demolition work in Manchester during the 60s2
J H Peck Leyland Comet 1
W Carr & Son from leeds at the junction Mount Rd/Hyde Rd Belle Vue0

Hi John, The 2nd picture reminds me of many years ago when Lancashire Constabulary had Police Officers
on LE Velocette motor cycles. From memory, I think they were water cooled and shaft drive, and the engine
was started with a lever operated by hand. The Bobby in your picture is wearing the usual “Corker” helmet.
Great pictures again John. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Stanfield:
J H Peck Leyland Comet 1

…there is Paddy sorting out the cast iron scrap!!

David

An old advert from 1964.

Paul (moomooland)
Fantastic photo where did you find that one mate? Thats outside the old yard which was only 3/4hundred yards away from the one they moved to when I worked there in fact they still had 2 or 3 of these parked in the yard but not in use .Do you mind if I take a copy.

Ray Smyth:

Stanfield:
J H Peck Leyland Comet 1

Hi John, The 2nd picture reminds me of many years ago when Lancashire Constabulary had Police Officers
on LE Velocette motor cycles. From memory, I think they were water cooled and shaft drive, and the engine
was started with a lever operated by hand. The Bobby in your picture is wearing the usual “Corker” helmet.
Great pictures again John. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Spot on with your memory, Ray. When I stood in for our shop steward driving his almost new ERF 8-wheeler (205 fettled ■■■■■■■■ I was returning empty (don’t tell Bewick!) from London to God’s Own County when on the Oxford by-pass I noticed a patrol on an LE Velo pulling out behind me from a side turning. Being a 22-year old wanna be racing driver, and knowing that the Velo was only capable of around 60mph I floored the throttle and watched plod disappearing in my mirrors.
Unfortunately, I hadn’t reckoned on the officer using his radio- at the next roundabout a patrol car blocked my route and I ended up with a red face and a “Notice of Intended Prosecution”.
A couple of months later I was back in Oxford, this time to receive a six month ban. :blush: :blush: :blush:

Heres one for you Paul from 1960.

Monk from Warrington.

Click on pages twice to read.

Meeting of Macclesfield Breakfast Club Tuesday, 2nd October. 0900 at Fred’s café, Moss Lane, Macc. Turn off London Road at Macc Town Football Club, café is 200 yds on left. 3.5 tonnes weight limit so leave big 'uns at the football ground. All welcome as long as they are willing to have the p*ss taken!

The minutes of yesterday’s Macc. Breakfast Club meeting have been posted on the Peak District thread.

Offley Bros Atkinson from Ellesmere Port.

Robert Walker,Woodley Cheshire were based in Wythenshawe in the early sixties.The site of the old small office stood where the Baguley Tesco store is now.The fleet,mainly tippers were stored on a field a short distance down Sandy Lane.Wythenshawe Town football club now stands on that site.Repairs etc were carried out at an old, now demolished wooden garage on Altrincham Road.The old garage was situated a short distance from the current petrol station on the same side of the road.A new small block of flats now stand on the old garage site.

Benbert:
Robert Walker,Woodley Cheshire were based in Wythenshawe in the early sixties.The site of the old small office stood where the Baguley Tesco store is now.The fleet,mainly tippers were stored on a field a short distance down Sandy Lane.Wythenshawe Town football club now stands on that site.Repairs etc were carried out at an old, now demolished wooden garage on Altrincham Road.The old garage was situated a short distance from the current petrol station on the same side of the road.A new small block of flats now stand on the old garage site.

I know the area very well. 1950s I used to live on Skerton road Old Trafford near to Mothers Pride Bakery. I used to be a Saturday van lad for their retail side Craigs Pantry and deliver to Whthenshawe Baguley area in a larger than usual Electric Breadvan. I remember we were on virtual war footing with rival companies to canvas new tenants for the Manchester overspill estates. Almonds bread retail side was Rolands bread. Bit like Benny Hill the fastest Milkman in the west. Early 1960s I started with Mothers Pride Wholesale van lad to driver. Late 1960s I worked for Williames Transport Group Irish airfreight and groupage based at Warren Road Trafford Park. They moved to purpose a built Depot at Timpson Road Baguley. After closing the depot about 1975 was taken over by Frans Mass. Williames I believe were taken over by Woodside Brothers or just on contract, but appear to be part of the IFS group.
Late 1970s we moved to Cheadle 1979 but had various jobs Trafford Park area Smiths of Eccles. MAT transport. Smith and Robinsons. Kraft Humko we moved to Kings Lynn Norfolk 1985.
Regards Kev

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f63[1].jpg

th8RR81ZV7.jpg

Clipping from 1992.

north west 92.PNG

DEANB:
Clipping from 1992.

Bet they regretted that 8-litre ■■■■■■■■ The only unreliable ■■■■■■■ I have ever encountered!

Retired Old ■■■■:

DEANB:
Clipping from 1992.

Bet they regretted that 8-litre ■■■■■■■■ The only unreliable ■■■■■■■ I have ever encountered!

My gaffer had a C series 8 litre ■■■■■■■ in a new F reg Foden six wheeler rated at 265 bhp and it was very good, it pulled better than my L10 and was better on fuel as well. The small synchromesh gearbox was the weak point, he got through several of those before he modified it and fitted a 9 speed constant mesh Fuller which improved things. He did fit another new engine in it when it was a few years old but the original had never been touched, it just wore out! :laughing:

Pete.

Bit of nostalgia from around the Northwest.

J Bradshaw & Sons Leyland Comet Ardwick roundabout 1966.

Healds Daries Commer Northenden 1967.

Dodge artic in Manchester July 1962.

Marshall Leyland Comet Salford 1963.

R.E.Dixon Dodge on Stockport Road Longsight 1965.

Foden in traffic at Longsight in October 1962.

Unidentified Albion Caledonian Ardwick Green roundabout November 1965.

Satinex Ford ‘D’ Series Alexandra Road Hulme 1968.

Shude Hill Manchester mid 60’s.