Northern Ireland companies for a new start?

Didn’t mean it as people were trolling the chat meant it as nice to see it wasn’t. Like most Internet forums these days. So sorry if was any misunderstanding on that.

I guess that’s a pop at me. I can jump companies over the “stupidest little things” as much as I deem fit because there’s plenty of work to choose from, I have plenty of experience and a clean license. I won’t put up with being ■■■■ on. If something about the job is unacceptable, there’s always plenty more firms in my area crying out for drivers.

It wasn’t always that way, I once had an IN conviction and even though the 90s was a boom time for employment, I found it hard to get employers to see past that. Even though it was only a bounced dd that negated my insurance, I got a conviction for it.

So I know what I’m talking about, I know how hard it’s going to be for you. In the current economic climate, bosses can take their pick from an unending pool of drivers. Don’t believe the crap about a driver shortage. It ain’t true.

And as for starting on the vans? Van driver jobs are in short supply. There’s more people queuing up for them because you don’t need a special license to do it.

Most of the van jobs are self employed now, so you have to rent a van. There’s 200 a week out of your wages before you start.

Give it a go, it may be different in your area and at least it would let you experience life as a driver before you shell out for an artic license.

get the licence before you waste your time going round the doors asking,as itl do you no good.
once you have it and can be ready to start with someone,then try all the usual suspects,sawyers,and all the hooligan mushroom brigade,mc lernons,derry morgan,derry,if you cant wangle a job with montys,or mc burney,then go down to dfds and log all the subbys names,or just impersonate a stobart spotter,and see who comes off the ferry.
theres another mob in belfast that runs sprinters across europe with medical supplies with a we bunk in the cab.no sleep,and time critical,but it would be a insight to the same job when your using a tacho.
if your more of a hands on type with a bit of initiative than a agency type( you can forget them anyway) plobbng stobart cannon fodder,then there shouldnt be much of a problem once your toe s in the door.
if your going to be a jobsworth,then all that type of co will prob me more fussy about the conviction.
get the licence,then get the job.

Amcf85:
I am currently in the process of wanting to get into hgv driving.
I have done my medical and sent away for my provisional… and hope to get the c and c+e done ASAP.
Two problems.

1. No experience so fell might be hard to get into a decent company.
  2. Was caught for drink driving 4 years ago, (lost licence 9 months) have had it back as soon as could get it (car licence)
    I never had any points or anything on my License before or since it and was just a very unfortunate situation that I had a drive too soon after have been driving. I since drink very rarely have no interest in it.
    Lesson was most certainly learned and then some from the experience…
    I have been reading a lot of the forums on here and trying to collect as much information about the process, the life as a trucker and everything else as possible.

Any advice is very much appreciated or if anyone knows any companies around County Antrim in Northern Ireland that would be worth approaching would be great. Going to do training through Henderson’s but don’t think they would take me on after that.

. Good luck in your search . It is slightly ironic that someone such as yourself ( who has learnt a lesson the hard way ) is highly unlikely to risk drink driving ever again . ( you are probably one of the most low risk drivers there is if one was assessing the probability of committing this offence )

One should never give up in life . I would invest some time in writting a well written CV detailing what you have achieved in life to date and what you hope to achieve . It may even be worth while making the CV tailor made to specific companies . I would then drop the CV off in person at companies where I was interested in working . It may even be worth offering to worth free for a few weeks in order to allow a company to assess you .

Good luck in your search , we all make the occasional mistake in life