Northern Ireland companies for new drivers

Hi all, not sure how many on here are from Northern Ireland but just wondering if anyone knows of any companies that take on young drivers who have just passed their test. I’m 20 and have just passed my class 1 driving test but finding it hard to find a job due to age and experience requirements. Was lucky enough to get a job with McCulla Ireland but was working 12 - 13 hour shifts and was starting to become more of a lifestyle than a job. Anyone here have any advice or know of any companies that would help me out?

Try Derry Refrigeration in Portadown they take on new passes or Bradley from Buncrana he has a base in Belfast both only do Irish work, as a new pass you will have to take anything you can until you get experience and a good name then there are plenty of firms taking on drivers

Ryan99:
Hi all, not sure how many on here are from Northern Ireland but just wondering if anyone knows of any companies that take on young drivers who have just passed their test. I’m 20 and have just passed my class 1 driving test but finding it hard to find a job due to age and experience requirements. Was lucky enough to get a job with McCulla Ireland but was working 12 - 13 hour shifts and was starting to become more of a lifestyle than a job. Anyone here have any advice or know of any companies that would help me out?

How long were you at McCulla for ? Unfortunately long hours occur with lots of companies but certainly not all but I’m thinking perhaps you should have stuck with them to gain some experience then go job hunting.

Oh no. Nobody wants to give a 20 year old with a fresh licence an 8 till 5 driving job.

I bet you refuse to drive anything other than a V8 Scania too. To be sure.

bald bloke:

Ryan99:

How long were you at McCulla for ? Unfortunately long hours occur with lots of companies but certainly not all but I’m thinking perhaps you should have stuck with them to gain some experience then go job hunting.

To be fair to the OP McCulla’s long hours are permanent and low paid their 4 on 4 off guys are scheduled to have only 9 hour breaks on their 3 nights off better places to go even as a new pass

Mazzer2:

bald bloke:

Ryan99:

To be fair to the OP McCulla’s long hours are permanent and low paid their 4 on 4 off guys are scheduled to have only 9 hour breaks on their 3 nights off better places to go even as a new pass

You obviously don’t understand why people choose to work 4on -4off tramping. A clue, it’s not for the money, or to max the hours parked up for my daily rest.
4on -4off is to max the time spend at home. Three nights out at 9 hours is a doddle when you spend 5 nights (and 4 days) at home afterwards.
If you rather spend 4 nights away at 11 hours per night,and have a 45 (ish) hour weekend, you’re welcome.

Was there 4 weeks Monday to Friday £350. Been told Morgan McLernon also take on new drivers but afraid of it being similar to McCulla in regards to the hours. Thinking of trying to get a year or two of class 2 experience but even having difficulty finding that. Been into a few recruitment agencies and they say they might be able to find me some class 2 work but none have got back to me with anything. Maybe waiting until I’m 25 I’ll have more luck as that seems to be the required age whether you have experience or not.

If I started again, at 20years old, I would go for the full tang, flying on the limit, to earn as much money as possible, seeing the country.,and even Europe…

biggriffin:
If I started again, at 20years old, I would go for the full tang, flying on the limit, to earn as much money as possible, seeing the country.,and even Europe…

How’s he going to go full tang when he’s already got his jimmies rustled over a 12 hour shift :laughing: ?

If you want short hours maybe a job with your local council would be an option. Just don’t expect to earn great money.

the nodding donkey:

Mazzer2:

bald bloke:

Ryan99:

You obviously don’t understand why people choose to work 4on -4off tramping. A clue, it’s not for the money, or to max the hours parked up for my daily rest.
4on -4off is to max the time spend at home. Three nights out at 9 hours is a doddle when you spend 5 nights (and 4 days) at home afterwards.
If you rather spend 4 nights away at 11 hours per night,and have a 45 (ish) hour weekend, you’re welcome.

Well you certainly don’t drive for McCulla for the money there is far better out there

Oh dear, looks like the snow flake generation has made it to “norn iron” now too, as stated, if you want 8 to 5 go drive a bin lorry, sorry to be harsh but haulage has always been about long hours, a 12hr day would be considered a cushy number by most on here.

I dont think the op has quite caught on yet…was working for McCulla on 12 - 13 hour shifts…how lucky for him when the average is 15 hour shifts with a 9 off afterwards, to do another 15…he certainly has a lot to learn about how transport works, also needs to know that most companies insurance ask that your at least 25 yrs old with 2 years experience, i suppose it was alright for the legislators to allow youngsters into the iundustry, but dont think they thought about the consequences.

truckyboy:
I dont think the op has quite caught on yet…was working for McCulla on 12 - 13 hour shifts…how lucky for him when the average is 15 hour shifts with a 9 off afterwards, to do another 15…he certainly has a lot to learn about how transport works, also needs to know that most companies insurance ask that your at least 25 yrs old with 2 years experience, i suppose it was alright for the legislators to allow youngsters into the iundustry, but dont think they thought about the consequences.

It is maximum hours all the time the 4 on 4 off pattern is £100 a day do the maths ok for a 10 hour shift not so ok for a 15 have to laugh at everyone saying he should just ■■■■ it up if it’s that good then you and go work for them or maybe you wouldn’t get out of bed for £7.50 an hour. If he’s working around home and taking home £350 a week then he is being ripped off but all the old hands think that’s ok because he’s only 20 years old. Christ there are some dinosaurs on here and they wonder why no one comes into the industry.

Derry Refrigeration are paying £90shift home and £95 after 6wks. £105 Sat/Sun.
Manfreight £90shift
MorganMcLernon £100shift
All local work no nights out.

You could try “2trips” 4shifts cross channel??
Agro £480
MorganMcLernon £500
More money for Fri/Sat out on boats.
All wages quotes are after tax.

McCulla Lidl work is shown on their advert £128gross per shift plus possible £10day fuel bonus.
Where you just on their normal DUNG day shift rates■■?

GOG47:
Oh dear, looks like the snow flake generation has made it to “norn iron” now too, as stated, if you want 8 to 5 go drive a bin lorry, sorry to be harsh but haulage has always been about long hours, a 12hr day would be considered a cushy number by most on here.

^^^^^^^^^
im thinking your man nas the same logic of getting a job as an astronaut and not being prepared to travel.
if your kakking your trollies at a 12 hour shift in northern ireland then best to be heading for mc donalds recruitment.

There are better jobs out there in the land that time forgot but there not easy to find .
I don’t know what you were told when you started / took your test but it was probably bullshine and lies .
Unfortunately long hours and unsociable hours are what the job is here for a lot of us - pay and conditions are pretty dark ages if not medieval - forget comparing your pay to England , Scotland or Wales you just wont get it round the doors at home . Simply put if you want to work round the doors and be home every night on 12 - 13 hour shifts your on good money .
If you want more money - pick a crowd of holligans ( they all are much the same ) and head for the boat to the bean or further afield . If you don’t like your first choice of holligans - leave and take up with another crowd until you find somewhere you fit in / like .Better money round home will be hard to find .
We are looking a driver at the moment - nights out ( can be 4 a week or 1 or 2 a week - you never really know ) weekends ( I do every other weekend - I works for me / suits me ) and you will end up in England and Scotland as well as all over Ireland (North and South ) Tankers , flats , curtainsiders , fridges . I like the work - its varied and it keeps me interested , I can rope and sheet , know my way round a fridge , milk tankers and other tanker work and a few loads of animal feed , concrete and fertiliser keep it interesting .
Just as an example I ended up overnighting on a farm last week with 430 ( thats is correct ) donkeys - the farmer has 4 farms and has anywhere between 1000 - 1400 donkeys at any one time .You never know what or where you will end up so don’t be expecting to be home every night at 18.30 for your tea - it just dosen’t happen .
If your with McCulla and have loaded the cheese on the Dargan road you know who I work for (we bring it in for transhipping to your fridges ).
Youve got to put the hours in and get the experience - but never be afraid to jump ship and go somewhere else if your getting better money , better work or better work / homelife balance .

Ryan99:
Was lucky enough to get a job with McCulla Ireland but was working 12 - 13 hour shifts and was starting to become more of a lifestyle than a job.

I’ve got some bad news for you. The average working week in UK haulage is 55hrs a week. 12-13hr shifts are the norm, not the exception, and those doing under that are mostly still doing over 10.

GOG47:

Says the man on a cushy number [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

happysack:

GOG47:

Says the man on a cushy number [emoji23][emoji23

says the man who’s been lying on the couch for a fortnight! Lol

GOG47:

happysack:

GOG47:

Says the man on a cushy number [emoji23][emoji23

says the man who’s been lying on the couch for a fortnight! Lol

Says the man who seems to be either eating cheese pieces or drinking lager in recent photographs