Norfolk haulage companies

tonyafg80:

haddy:
Hello again Chris, I would guess Roudhams did market work in those days. I suppose they could have had a trunk but in the early 60s I seem to think they ran mostly ridgids so no trailer swaps. I can remember them working out of Gaymer’s Cider in Attleborough and there was recently a photo on E bay of a BMC four wheeler with a removable fridge box.I didn’t bid for it as it wasn’t very good although I collect photos of East Anglian hauliers. They were taken over by Welches, probably in the 70s, and they were in the Transport Association like our bloke so we used to fill up with diesel there a good bit. Only a short distance from the A11 it was a handy spot, no Green Shield stamps though. Regards,Haddy,Gt. Yarmouth.
PS. Excuse my ignorance but what does IIRC mean ? I’m still a new boy on here.

I drove for roudham trainsport inlate 60s my first job, then Williams cold storage thetfofd,shunter for spinks in jays thetford. tony goulding.

Hi Tony.
When I was in RAF at Feltwell 1960-63 I used to get lifts to Grantham with Turners Norwich - Manchester trunkers,they changed over in Grantham bus station sun -thurs nights,I lived in Sheffield at the time,so would get lifts back to Grantham with Manchester lads on a sunday night.They had “S” type Bedfords then.I’m sure it was Spinks that also did a changeover there,from around Darlington area? If it weren’t them it was maybe Bells,can’t be sure.Anyroad whoever it was from Norwich end would never give me a lift to Lynn if I missed Turners and really meant it. :smiley: Turners were running Austin units from Norwich,then progressed to LAD Dodges.
In later years I used to take a creosote-like product into Jeyes at Thetford,early 70s,from Chesterfield,good drop it was,then empty to Fords Dagenham for a load of crude benzene for Staveley Chemicals.A dodgy night out was obtainable at Leicester Forest ont way back - well at least ont log book. :laughing:

tonyafg80:

haddy:
Hello again Chris, I would guess Roudhams did market work in those days. I suppose they could have had a trunk but in the early 60s I seem to think they ran mostly ridgids so no trailer swaps. I can remember them working out of Gaymer’s Cider in Attleborough and there was recently a photo on E bay of a BMC four wheeler with a removable fridge box.I didn’t bid for it as it wasn’t very good although I collect photos of East Anglian hauliers. They were taken over by Welches, probably in the 70s, and they were in the Transport Association like our bloke so we used to fill up with diesel there a good bit. Only a short distance from the A11 it was a handy spot, no Green Shield stamps though. Regards,Haddy,Gt. Yarmouth.
PS. Excuse my ignorance but what does IIRC mean ? I’m still a new boy on here.

I drove for roudham trainsport inlate 60s my first job, then Williams cold storage thetfofd,shunter for spinks in jays thetford. tony goulding.

Two names you might remember from Williams - Chris McClean who - I believe was in the office and Jimmy Campbell - a long term Fridged freight driver who went to Williams Cold Storage after a spell at Podmore Haulage. I remember their Volvos well. Jim.
P.S. Jeyes were running Erfs then.

Roudham Transport were based on the old airfield in an old WW1 Belfast hanger on Larling Industrial Estate. Maroon Leylands, if I remember correctly. They were either taken over, or replaced by Welches Atkis in the early 70’s? There was also the Harling timber company - similar motors - now all houses. Jim.

Some of you older Norfolk drivers will maybe remember British Industrial Sand wagons running out of Middleton east of King’s Lynn.They were in black livery in early 1960s,LAD cabbed Leyland Octopuses. I was in Lynn one Friday night in me RAF uniform looking for a lift to Sheffield and two BIS 8-leggers appeared,the first one stopping for me.They were both bound for the glassworks at Knottingley IIRC and didn’t hang about.As we dropped down into Newark the fog off the Trent loomed up and was really thick,all I could see was my driver’s mate’s back lights in front,a bit too close to be honest. :frowning:
Anyway we negotiated the town centre and got onto that 3 lane bit of the A1 that went past the sugar factory. Yer man int front Octopus decided he was going to start overtaking in this fog and my driver just followed him,passing convoys of slow moving wagons barely visible at my side.I’m a good passenger but have to admit that I was sh*tting misen,wondering if owt was coming tother way in that middle lane. :open_mouth:
Then as if by a miracle the fog just disappeared and I could see again,talk about relief. :grimacing:
Those Octopuses could really shift,I think they were a shortish wheelbase. It wasn’t long before I was dropped off at the A57 island outside Worksop to get another lift to Sheffield.
And I think that sand quarry at Middleton is still open,although not sure who owns it now.

Can anybody remeber a haulage company based in the Swaffham(Norfolk) area in the 60’s. I believe the haulier was a George Rickwood. Don’t know that much about the firm other than they may of hauled produce to the markets. My grandad drove for them until they packed up. I would be intrigued to see any photos of any hauliers from that area or norfolk in general.

Well, seeing as we’ve done Suffolk & Essex…why not!!!

MR VAIN:
Can anybody remeber a haulage company based in the Swaffham(Norfolk) area in the 60’s. I believe the haulier was a George Rickwood. Don’t know that much about the firm other than they may of hauled produce to the markets. My grandad drove for them until they packed up. I would be intrigued to see any photos of any hauliers from that area or norfolk in general.

Sorry mate,no photos,but I remember Rickwoods as I’ve had lifts with them from Kings Lynn back home to Sheffield at night when in the RAF in the early 60s.
Just trying to think what they ran - they might have been Commer TS3s.

:smiley: Yes i’m sure my grandad said he drove a Commer 2 stroke. I’d forgotten that. Thank you. Every little helps :smiley:

MR VAIN:
:smiley: Yes i’m sure my grandad said he drove a Commer 2 stroke. I’d forgotten that. Thank you. Every little helps :smiley:

There was another company that did market work from Guist near Fakenham but I can’t remember their name.I think they were in green livery and operated wagon and drags but maybe this was in the 70s.They seemed to be always carrying carrots. :smiley:
Others I remember were Pointers who became Anglian Transport and then RMC I think,Turners of Soham had a depot at Costessey,Norwich and a Manchester trunk with a Grantham Changeover - stacks of lifts with them straight through to Sheffield via Grantham,and a firm called Fast Freight from Kings Lynn who ran TK Bedfords and used to pick me up regular at the A10/A47 junction in K.L. and drop me off near Feltwell at 0400 - they were early starters! :laughing:
If I think of any more I’ll post 'em.

Just remembered Frigid Freight from Diss with AEC MK5 wagon and drags,how could I forget them - most impressive. :laughing:

Mr Vain, have you seen this site? It’s a classic!!

http://www.hburroughes.co.uk/

Ol’ boys from Bressingham.

Chris Webb:

MR VAIN:

There was another company that did market work from Guist near Fakenham but I can’t remember their name.I think they were in green livery and operated wagon and drags but maybe this was in the 70s.They seemed to be always carrying carrots. :smiley:
Others I remember were Pointers who became Anglian Transport and then RMC I think,Turners of Soham had a depot at Costessey,Norwich and a Manchester trunk with a Grantham Changeover - stacks of lifts with them straight through to Sheffield via Grantham,and a firm called Fast Freight from Kings Lynn who ran TK Bedfords and used to pick me up regular at the A10/A47 junction in K.L. and drop me off near Feltwell at 0400 - they were early starters! :laughing: Was it Pointers that had a picture of a Dalmatian on the sides. Seem to remember them having mobile cranes too.

chorcheela, ys mate ive seen Burroughs site. Best i’ve seen.

Chris Webb:
Just remembered Frigid Freight from Diss with AEC MK5 wagon and drags,how could I forget them - most impressive. :laughing:

I think… Norman Sutcliffe (?) used to drive for them. Lived at the junction of Richmond Rd. Costessey Norwich and Dereham Rd. (A47). Every now and again you would see the AEC outside his house. I Think he had a daughter - Janice.

Here’s one: Spinks Transport. Famed for moving beams on bogies out of the Lenwade concrete factory. A book could be written about this mob. From memory… Billy Swales - TM, and amongst a cast of thousands - Fussel, Sooty, The Colonel and David Winsor ( of later Valley Services Fame ). The Guy Big J was the tool But before the end I remember the odd understated 240 F88.

How about TJ Wyatt at Snetterton, anybody got any pics of that fleet?

Here’s another; Mayhew Freight, Kirstead, Brooke, Norwich. TM - David Waters ( Yes, He cut his teeth here) , Best Boy - Frank Rycroft. Supporting cast mainly recruited from the Trowel and Hammer (Norwich) on a big government subsidy scheme of the time. There were real truckers too, notably the ones that ran the notorious night trunk to Atkins yard at Findern, Derby. Whilst attempting to pass my test there I piloted an agricultural tractor mounted beet cleaner loader. The experience was one that will stay with me - finding beet hales at 4am in the middle of nowhere - David Water’s old man - the complete gentleman (F.G. Waters Tspt.) and the stoic Peter Stephenson - complete with Farmer Giles hat and equally at home in a bellowing 205 ■■■■■■■ A series ERFc/w DB box, belt snapping two stroke Commer or D series Ford with mega long/ overhang buck. And of course Peter, w/s head honcho, who used to nail everything back together after we broke it.

gb1:
Was it Pointers that had a picture of a Dalmatian on the sides. Seem to remember them having mobile cranes too.

The dog wasn’t a Dalmation, it was a Pointer! They used to have a depot on Guardian Rd. in Norwich. There was a guy by the name of David Trigg (Trigglet) who at one point trained in-house for them. I owe him - He’s the reason I sold my soul!

Back when I worked for Wilsons Transport (of Stockport and later Ardwick) we did a lot of work down that way. One of the wagons was based in Norfolk.

If this is going to be a “Norfolk” thread then maybe we should remember Great Yarmouth and the people who pulled the blue wrappers for a certain ferry company that started its life there. Thing is, The Good Old Norfolkboy don’t talk that much, so these memories may pass into the mists of time. Hope it isn’t like that, 'cause the community and the craic were second to none.