Norfolk haulage companies

Zetorpilot:
Back when I worked for Wilsons Transport (of Stockport and later Ardwick) we did a lot of work down that way. One of the wagons was based in Norfolk.

That would be on Catton Grove Rd, just inside the Norwich ring road. I think I remember the 4 Wheel ERF.

Not Many cameras in Norfolk then?
Loads of Norfolk trucks can be found on www.euro-wheels.com
I remember
Spandler
Fairweather
M C Clarke
Jack Richards
Tony Hudson

sellia:

Zetorpilot:
Back when I worked for Wilsons Transport (of Stockport and later Ardwick) we did a lot of work down that way. One of the wagons was based in Norfolk.

That would be on Catton Grove Rd, just inside the Norwich ring road. I think I remember the 4 Wheel ERF.

Indeed that would be the one… they were mostly yellow and black “A-series” 4-wheelers, although there was also a 6-wheeler and a leyland curtainsider.

I had the slowest of the fleet, with a 5 cylinder Gardner. I did get a new cab at one point though so it was the best looking!

Then there was Dents Transport of Hilgay, all day cabbed vehicles if I remember right. I think they used to do a lot of Canned goods.

chorcheela:
Mr Vain, have you seen this site? It’s a classic!!

http://www.hburroughes.co.uk/

Ol’ boys from Bressingham.

top site with some top pics…

Zetorpilot:

sellia:

Zetorpilot:

Indeed that would be the one… they were mostly yellow and black “A-series” 4-wheelers, although there was also a 6-wheeler and a leyland curtainsider.

I had the slowest of the fleet, with a 5 cylinder Gardner. I did get a new cab at one point though so it was the best looking!

I remember Wilsons Zetor,used to see 'em regular grinding up Woodhead when I was on nights going back to Maltby in a morning :laughing: I saw the 6-legger quite often but never saw the Leyland.Didn’t know they’d moved to Ardwick though.

Yes that was me causing the road block on Woodhead! Those were the days :laughing:

Zetorpilot:
Yes that was me causing the road block on Woodhead! Those were the days :laughing:

No problem Zetor,not too much about on Woodhead at 0500 and you were early starters.Always somewhere to get past - coming back empty most mornings - do you remember the Littlewoods liveried drawbars,Transcontis and later Scanias? If so I will have passed you and Connell and Finnegan scrap tippers from Manchester. :smiley:

Don’t remember, sorry :blush: mind you, anything going faster than about walking pace would have just been a blur!

Selia,i think you have got the wrong bloke mate, the feller who lived in richmond road was geoff sutcliffe,originally from up north some where,a great chap , i spent many a mile following geoff .would like to hear any news of any old Wyatts drivers,Geoff Hubbard ,Alan Harris who were fitters,Pat Pearce,Tony Valori,Trevor Hitter,Roy Paxton(Sooty),I am aware of several black ribbons as well RIP

Ross Foods had a sizeable fleet based at their Fakenham factory,running Scammell’s,Leyland’s and I seem to remember an AEC six wheel rigid.

They were regulars at the Smedley’s factory in Faversham when I worked there in the cold store,coming in to load back for Fakenham.

I can’t really remember many names,but they were a good bunch of guys,and used to let me shunt the trucks on and off the loading ramp whilst they visited the canteen,I was a mere 18 years old at the time.

Then of course there was Bartrums at Diss,Pegasus at Kings Lynn,Boulger at Snetterton and what was the name of the firm from Diss that ran a few fridges with Scania’s?

Not great pics but theres a few of MacHayes from Forncett near Long Stratton here.
trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28579

anyone remember anything about James T Kirby’s - based on Black street in Martham??

the yard was right next to west flegg middle school - I went there in 84 but the yard has been built on now

There is a picture web site that has photos of Kirbys. When my brain kicks in i might remember which one!

These ones are all current firms. (Some pics are from Euro Wheels, which as already mentioned is a good source of Norfolk firms):

and…

then…(this is a firm with a long history)

plus a link to a pic:

http://www.transportcafe.co.uk/jungle_shap_transport_cafe/tc_transport_antingham_norfolk.jpg

There’s a firm called Freight Force on Guardian Road now, where Pointers depot was…the Mobile Crane and Machinery Movement side of Pointers is now Quinto Crane Hire I think.

Zetorpilot:

Zetor, do you remember Alec Lettel at Wilsons. Used to work with him in Peterborough. Know he moved up to Stockport and went working for Wilsons mid 70’s.

gb1:

Zetorpilot:

Zetor, do you remember Alec Lettel at Wilsons. Used to work with him in Peterborough. Know he moved up to Stockport and went working for Wilsons mid 70’s.

The name Alec rings a bell yes. If it’s who I’m thinking then he was on the Leyland tautliner when I was there. The driver I remember best was Terry Armisted, who told me that in the past he had worked showgrounds. Then there was George(?) a shorter rounder guy who worked in the office, and Peter Green, an ex-policeman, who also worked in the office and took me out for my assessment when I joined Wilsons in '85.

[quote="

The name Alec rings a bell yes. If it’s who I’m thinking then he was on the Leyland tautliner when I was there. The driver I remember best was Terry Armisted, who told me that in the past he had worked showgrounds. Then there was George(?) a shorter rounder guy who worked in the office, and Peter Green, an ex-policeman, who also worked in the office and took me out for my assessment when I joined Wilsons in '85.[/quote]

Alec had reading and writing difficulties, but made up for it by being a real grafter. Reckon when you started he would have been about 40-45. Remember him when he worked for Reads of Peterborough losing a load of bubble-bath. Gave us all a giggle when it started raining - bubbles everywhere!

LB76:
Selia,i think you have got the wrong bloke mate, the feller who lived in richmond road was geoff sutcliffe,originally from up north some where,a great chap , i spent many a mile following geoff .would like to hear any news of any old Wyatts drivers,Geoff Hubbard ,Alan Harris who were fitters,Pat Pearce,Tony Valori,Trevor Hitter,Roy Paxton(Sooty),I am aware of several black ribbons as well RIP

Hello Lb76. Re those names you have asked about. The last time I met up with Geoff Sutcliffe he was on Salvesens out of Lowestoft, that was about 1988! Met him down at Frigoscandias place in Stratford. I,m not sure where he is now. He was still wandering around in those days with a picture of his old LB76 and drag in his pocket, a true gentleman if ever there was.Pat Pearce was also kicking about at the same time driving for either NRT or Ross’s trunking into Salvesens at Oulton Broad from either Gt witchingham or Fakenham I can,t remember too well. Toni Valori I believe died many years ago. I never knew Trevor Hitter. Sooty I believe ended up driving for Tolemans, I last heard of him a few years back and he was still on the transporters…I think. Alan Harris, I used to see quite regularly up until I left the Diss area in the nineties. He had his own garage business at Bressingham and seemed to be doing quite well. Geoff Hubbard, the last time I saw him about, (once again about 10 years ago), had his own unit and tipper running out of Long Stratton. I hope some others out there can confirm that these blokes are still with us!!!