Cullings Transport Services Claxton Norfolk

Cullings was one of the larger haulage companies in Norfolk. I was a vehicle mechanic and did repairs to their Bedfords. Sadly no camera with me in those days.Does anyone have pics, or memories of Cullings.

I knew a few old boys on Cullings from the days I was at HG Barbers at Bradwell, in fact one of them came and worked with us, his name was Charlie Clitheroe and was tragicly killed in the early '70s at Billingford near Diss. I can also remember Horry Baker, Ralph Edwards, Honey and there must be more. Some of them of course went over to Duttons when they took over in later years. Duttons used to work out of the Co-op Canning factory at Lowestoft and I drove for Perfects of Yarmouth doing the same thing. Good days, we thought they would be here forever !
Anway, I have one or two photos which were taken by a chap who was a mechanic for Cullings before starting his own business at Trowse, he is a friend of a friend but I can’t remember his name at the moment. I will dig them out when I get time. Meanwhile here is one which I have on the laptop. I think it’s Kings Lynn cattle market and I love this picture.

CULLINGS BEDFORD MAH 250.jpg

I forgot they also ran coaches. This one dates from 1950.

Claxton-smockmill-bus-logo-c_1950.jpg

Claxton-smockmill-bus-c_1950.jpg

Like Haddy I too remember those names, also a driver called Billy Alderton who gave me some photos There was a Bedford A type, I understand this float ended up on its side at the Bracondale roundabout. I cannot remember where the AEC 8-wheel photo came from , but good to have it anyway. Look forward to viewing haddy’s photos. Will also look up more photos

Was it this one mate ?

Yes that’s the one, it had an extended chassis , perhaps not such a good idea for a cattle float. My dad was a farmer at Kirby Bedon and was friendly with the late Albert Culling hence we used Culling’s for all our haulage jobs. Sending a favorite photo from my collection from the days of over loading. The driver is Billy Alderton ,sadly can’t remember the name of his mate. Loved those old Bedfords

I also have that photo, just think what it was like in those days when beet were forked on by hand. I can also remember an S21 Foden 8 legger going into Cantley with beet, it seemed huge in those days. Another motor I recall was a TK Bedford made into a six wheel unit and pulled a tandem trailer. When I tell people about it they think it’s a leg -pull but I have been stuck behind it on the A47 more than once and I think Ralph drove it. Can you recall it? Who are you working for these days ?

The photo of the Bedford float was taken by me in 1957 , it’s at Pond Farm and that’s my dad talking to the driver. Keep trying we must have something in our collections that we have not both seen. I do remember the 6 wheel TK I’m pretty sure it was purchased from Rix of Dereham. Also the Foden I remember carting scrap for A King & Son. Sending a Kew Dodge taken from an archive film
I’m retired now but used to be a mechanic at Delves Motors , and that’s when I did Mechanical work for Cullings on trucks and buses.

Hello again mate, seeing that Dodge reminded me about this picture I have in my collection of old Gt. Yarmouth stuff. It’s definitely scrap metal for Kings and the lorries in the queue for the ship on South Quay look very much like Kew Dodges and I wouldn’t be surprised if they are Cullings. What do you reckon ?

That’s a difficult one , could be if that’s a windmill on the doors. Would like to see this photo in high resolution. There were a lot of Dodges in Cullings fleet.
Sending another from the film ,this time a A type with P6 engine

Bedford (2).jpg

Hi, new to this sort of thing. Seen some of the names you posted having worked for Cullings/Duttons. Have heard of those. Honey’s last name was Daniels. Believe Horry is still alive but not too good. Reason I’m on here it’s my uncle worked for them too. Many a journey I had as a youngster, even to the canning factory to pick up a trailer full. Many uncles name was John Bunting (Bunto). Unfortunately I have to convey that he has passed away. Was trying to find details of his tractor unit and stumbled across this. More stories would be great to hear of you are able to recall any. Waiting in anticipation.