Newbie aiming to work in Iraq/Afganistan

r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht … are_type=t

To the op…
Here’s a bit of reality for you.

Y´know, if I was 25 again (f*****k offf :smiley: ) I can kinda see the attraction.

Seriously though, as I mentioned above, join the Army Reserve before 49/11 and you can fill your boots.

army.mod.uk/deployments/

el_presidente:
Seriously though, as I mentioned above, join the Army Reserve before 49/11 and you can fill your boots.

army.mod.uk/deployments/

Nope, stop, cease and desist. That is not an accurate representation of what to expect.
That is recruitment blurb!
And, as you were so against the OP doing his thang originally, what were you thinking posting this?
I am very loth to give anyone a hypothetical slap, but I´m afraid I have to in this case.

It´s because I don´t see where you´re coming from here.

steviespain:

el_presidente:

army.mod.uk/deployments/

Nope, stop, cease and desist. That is not an accurate representation of what to expect.
That is recruitment blurb!
And, as you were so against the OP doing his thang originally, what were you thinking posting this?
I am very loth to give anyone a hypothetical slap, but I´m afraid I have to in this case.

It´s because I don´t see where you´re coming from here.

Read my original post again - I’m not against him doing it via this route.

And the link is quite accurate given it highlights deployments which reservist have deployed on.

If you want excitement,adrenaline and ever so slightly less chance of being killed try delivering ■■■■ and booze to shops on housing estates in Liverpool…

xichrisxi:
If you want excitement,adrenaline and ever so slightly less chance of being killed try delivering ■■■■ and booze to shops on housing estates in Liverpool…

glasgows just as bad doing multidrop to shops.
when i was doing it years ago the local scallys lobbed tomatoes at me and broke my nose.
the downside to that was they were still in the tin. :slight_smile:

PackRat:
I’m a newbie trucker who started his trucking career off aged 37 after working office based work for the last 15 years. I know this is a somewhat controversial topic discussed within the trucking community but my aim is to work 1 year or 6 month contracts in places such as Western Africa, Iraq and Afganistan. I’m doing agency work right now. I understand that I need more experience as I only have a few months under my belt right now.
I’m looking for contacts here who may have done this kind of work/or are doing it right now, who may be able to guide me and advise me on how to get the right experience and how much of it I would need. I understand KBR are the main company who recruit for this kind of work and there are a few other contractors aswell.

Many Thanks

If you’re not ex mil you won’t get anywhere.

Try find a Yank agent moving stuff for the UN across Africa if you’re really desperate to drive a lorry in a 3rd world toilet.

Have a watch of this- youtu.be/GslPzhFLyas
And tell us your still keen.

The harsh reality of off road driving in a less than civilised place and these guys wernt getting shot at.

An office wallah with a desire to drive a lorry in a war zone. Hmmm, an early entry for the 2019 Darwin Awards maybe…

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

PackRat:
Why did I bother? :question:

You’re on the wrong forum mate… try a more USA based forum. Why do I say that? Because most Brits and lorry drivers in particular are just fairly negative about most things in the UK… you could say it’s our default nature, so you won’t get a helpful ‘Can do’ type of answer on this forum… just look at the negativity in the answers already given. It’s a cultural thing!

On the other hand most American folk will come at your question with a positive minded and ‘Can do’ attitude and would be more inclined to give you helpful ideas and suggestions, because that’s their approach to life! “Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right.”

I do get it, the idea of trundling along in a supermarket truck or a bin wagon will bore you to tears, and won’t give you the excitement you crave…So, as others have suggested, why not get some experience under your belt then look for a big responsibility, high profile type job… Hauling luxury yachts down to the Continent, Abnormal loads, Formula one left hookers Worldwide, Events haulage, think rock bands, theatre work, Broadcast/TV work, ( What I do! ) NEP, Telegenic, etc to give just a few ideas.

Why not take up bungee jumping if your an adrenalin junkie? :smiley:

Don’t be under any illusions though, and try to be a realist… driving in war torn or other dangerous countries will certainly be adventurous, and the money might be amazing… but it will come at a very steep cost to you and your family if you get blown to bits simply doing your job!

Good luck wherever life takes you! :smiley:

A few years ago I was working in Ghazaouet, Algeria and we were advised by the port security not to wear the hivis gear as it picked us out as Europeans and although not in a war zone there were some nasty people about with guns, must admit I was glad when the contract ended and it were a good ole British Airways plane I flew home on. Would I want to go to Iraq etc and be a target for even bigger nutters ■■? Not a snowballs chance in bloody hell !!

raymundo:
A few years ago I was working in Ghazaouet, Algeria and we were advised by the port security not to wear the hivis gear as it picked us out as Europeans and although not in a war zone there were some nasty people about with guns,

I love the absurdity of life. So in Algeria you get shot for wearing your hi-viz whereas in the UK you get shot for not wearing it. You just can’t win.

Sent from my univac-1 using punch cards and magnetic tape.

ezydriver:

raymundo:
A few years ago I was working in Ghazaouet, Algeria and we were advised by the port security not to wear the hivis gear as it picked us out as Europeans and although not in a war zone there were some nasty people about with guns,

I love the absurdity of life. So in Algeria you get shot for wearing your hi-viz whereas in the UK you get shot for not wearing it. You just can’t win.

Crazy innit ■■ The company I was working for had H&S notices plastered everywhere about wearing safety gear and life jackets when out on deck, not that I spent much time outside as the temperature was a good 43/45 centigrade during the day and the steel work was too hot to the touch, and burnt thru me flip flops :slight_smile:

ezydriver:

raymundo:

Sent from my univac-1 using punch cards and magnetic tape.

Nah…you get shot in Algeria…you just get fired here!

:smiley:

Let him go. He’s clearly not bothered about the danger advice. Some people are just a lost cause and only learn the hard way.

Some people are just a lost cause and only learn the hard way.

Funny you should use that phrase…

Yeah it eventually happens to drivers that drive too close to the vehicle in front because they are to braindead to realise the dangers. :smiling_imp: :imp:

I looked into this sort of work before,I read about drivers working for KBR,they nicknamed it KILLED ,BAGGED,REPLACED.
enough said.

El Deano:
Without it seeming like an insult, can I ask why you want too?

Its the last place I would want to drive a truck.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

exactly,is he bloody mad,I S are still in these countries and are always looking for westerners to relieve them of their heads,mad at the very least just thinking about it

What happened to Neil who was in Iraq, is he still around?