New Scania....

att:

Radar19:
My old place has one on test, my mate was driving it the last few nights. Its lovely to drive, handles like car. Drinks adblue like its going out of fashion though.

Indeed, not good since the cost of adblue has gone through the roof…:

All Euro 6 Scania’s drink Adblue, put the mpg seem pretty good. I drive 65 plate R450, 10.75mpg this week, 11.10mpg last week, can’t remember the last time it was below 10mpg, that’s doing boxes. We have a mixed fleet, the Scania’s are allways at the top end for fuel economy, though the Volvo and daf out pull the Scania’s buy miles!

SLOW lol

eddie snax:

att:

Radar19:
My old place has one on test, my mate was driving it the last few nights. Its lovely to drive, handles like car. Drinks adblue like its going out of fashion though.

All Euro 6 Scania’s drink Adblue, put the mpg seem pretty good. I drive 65 plate R450, 10.75mpg this week, 11.10mpg last week, can’t remember the last time it was below 10mpg, that’s doing boxes. We have a mixed fleet, the Scania’s are allways at the top end for fuel economy, though the Volvo and daf out pull the Scania’s buy miles!

2007 r620 10.98 :stuck_out_tongue:

eddie snax:

att:

Radar19:

Your last part is utter rubbish, my 450 can out pull 510 Mercs and Dafs on the hills, seems to have more grunt than the 460 Volvo too. It will also pass pretty much everything on the flat.

8.5 mpg average over about 45k kms (I don’t change the display screen much) and that’s running at 42-max most of the time with pretty terrible aerodynamics. With lower trailers and lighter loads I was seeing just short of 10.

I believe they drink adblue because they don’t have an EGR.

A.

My grandads…

Old Mini Metro, complete with a full load of tinnies, ice cream and sherry from Kwiksave, as well as my aunt Ethel and her golden labrador on board could still outpull a Merc 500.

the maoster:
maybe they’re a fantastic tool, but that’s a bit like saying that the fat ugly lass has a great personality.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

burnley-si:

eddie snax:

att:

Radar19:

2007 r620 10.98 :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice

Adonis.:

eddie snax:

att:

Radar19:

Your last part is utter rubbish, my 450 can out pull 510 Mercs and Dafs on the hills, seems to have more grunt than the 460 Volvo too. It will also pass pretty much everything on the flat.

8.5 mpg average over about 45k kms (I don’t change the display screen much) and that’s running at 42-max most of the time with pretty terrible aerodynamics. With lower trailers and lighter loads I was seeing just short of 10.

I believe they drink adblue because they don’t have an EGR.

A.

You cannot just say that my experience of the truck I drive in relation to other trucks is utter rubbish, the fact is your R450 is obviously set up slightly differently to mine, and the other half a dozen on our fleet. We have FH500 and daf 460 & 510’s and they all seem to spank the arse of the Scania’s. The R440 that we had previously were a different kettle of fish, they were rocket ship’s but rarely returned 10 mpg.

But as I’m soon to be getting fuel bonus payments I’m not complaining.

I have no desire to drive another make of truck, I like how the Scania is laid out inside, maybe that’s just familiarity, but as I live in it all week, and only drive it 9 hrs a day, it’s the living environment that’s as important.

images.jpg

Different motors have different torque bands, where the driver’s skill comes in is to make the most of it, maintaining progress by being in the right gear at the right moment.

My 440 MAN i notice will hold its speed higher into hills than our two Swedish makes at 43 tons, but once speed has dropped to whatever it will be on the hill they both pick up to cruise speed quicker if the hill is long, if you were to run side by side i doubt there would be a vehicle’s length between either of them, its also better at pulling away and leaving roundabouts but only if you drive it manually.

Even identical lorries will have noticeable differences in how they power along, left in auto you can’t take advantage it needs some interest to be taken and driver input.

As for the new Scanny, its looks are of no importance to me cos its a working tool not a mid life crisis toy bought to attract airhead bleached blondes, i really want to try one to check if the gearbox in particular but also the previously near enough pointless exhaust brake has been improved.
Also looking for better ride and seat quality, both of which are lagging probably 20 years behind others, i hear the steering is superbly direct, that is something i won’t miss about the MAN, umpteen turns from lock to lock and a steering wheel from HMS Victory results in far too much free play thereby following contours in the road than is acceptable.

I have an R480 tag, 13 plate, manual, now with 345k Bought s/h a few months ago. Only Scania I’ve ever had. Vv disappointed with it. It is a bit alpine up here, but 6.8 mpg is dire. Not exactly a rocket ship either. ( I meet plenty absolute rockets who drive them though, and think they’re the mutts nuts)

Old John:
I have an R480 tag, 13 plate, manual, now with 345k Bought s/h a few months ago. Only Scania I’ve ever had. Vv disappointed with it. It is a bit alpine up here, but 6.8 mpg is dire. Not exactly a rocket ship either. ( I meet plenty absolute rockets who drive them though, and think they’re the mutts nuts)

Well said that man , this just about sums up Scania’s and the people who drive them .

There must be some well - spoilt drivers on here if they can talk like they have a choice of motors to drive.
I always thought when you got a job at a firm you drove whatever you were given.
Though I do think that Scanias lost the plot with cab design after the 3 series…

eddie snax:
You cannot just say that my experience of the truck I drive in relation to other trucks is utter rubbish, the fact is your R450 is obviously set up slightly differently to mine, and the other half a dozen on our fleet. We have FH500 and daf 460 & 510’s and they all seem to spank the arse of the Scania’s. The R440 that we had previously were a different kettle of fish, they were rocket ship’s but rarely returned 10 mpg.

I have no desire to drive another make of truck, I like how the Scania is laid out inside, maybe that’s just familiarity, but as I live in it all week, and only drive it 9 hrs a day, it’s the living environment that’s as important.

Yes, I can. If you read above you will see I just have.

I do agree that the Scania is the best cab available for living in, no question. A taller fridge would be the only thing I would change.

A.

Give them 3 weeks I’m told the fuel improves on week 4 its a truck and anydriver who doesn’t like the make there given and wreck fuel economy its not hard. As for 6.8 go take a driving course and how to drive it properly

alix776:
Give them 3 weeks I’m told the fuel improves on week 4 its a truck and anydriver who doesn’t like the make there given and wreck fuel economy its not hard. As for 6.8 go take a driving course and how to drive it properly

Ooh, hark at her!!
Well lad, there’s always something new to learn, and I love listening to an expert. So, as I’m getting on a bit (42 years on the road, 39as an o/d) and could do with a week off, why don’t you head up here to the wild north west and show me how to get more than 6.8, loaded to the ■■■■ and hauling out some hills where you almost need oxygen at the top.
Many of the loggers out here, who get between four and five mpg from their V8 s will also be delighted to hear from you.
See you soon, Johnnie ■■

Old John:

alix776:

Ooh, hark at her!!
Well lad, there’s always something new to learn, and I love listening to an expert. So, as I’m getting on a bit (42 years on the road, 39as an o/d) and could do with a week off, why don’t you head up here to the wild north west and show me how to get more than 6.8, loaded to the ■■■■ and hauling out some hills where you almost need oxygen at the top.
Many of the loggers out here, who get between four and five mpg from their V8 s will also be delighted to hear from you.
See you soon, Johnnie ■■

Your complaining that your truck is only getting 6.8 on log work but say the guys on v8’s are only getting between 4 and 5. I’d personally be chuffed at getting 6.8 out of a lesser powered truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adonis.:

eddie snax:

Yes, I can. If you read above you will see I just have.

I do agree that the Scania is the best cab available for living in, no question. A taller fridge would be the only thing I would change.

A.

Ok you just have, but luckily I wasn’t listening.

Yep could do with bigger fridge.

No no lad, I’m seldom off the tarmac, such as it is up here.
I’m pleased to say that logging holds no attraction for me. When you look at the rates and then the damage to tyres and suspensions, it must be hard to make proper money , and, most importantly, I don’t have these big shiny mirror guards fitted.

sometime back I posted about the new transit van and how ugly it was,the replies were not nice one of them being and I quote,it’s a van what more do you want,it was a fair point and I admitted I was bored and trying to think of a post to put on here,but this post about the new Scania is exactly the same,what does it matter what it looks like,if owner drivers/transport companies don’t like it they won’t buy it,if transport companies do like it and buy it would a company driver say it’s ugly and i’m refusing to drive it,i think not,it’s a working vehicle,it does not matter if it’s not good looking,you get in, drive it,go home at the end of the day[if your a day driver]simple as that,what does it matter if it’s ugly.