New pants please

As a matter of interest next time you’re parked somewhere in the company of other lorries have a look around to see if there’s another one with a Moffet hanging off of the back. If the trailer is empty have a quick look at the fifth wheel, you’ll be surprised at the daylight you can see between it and the trailer rubbing plate.

As Robroy alluded to earlier these are NOT cars and especially when empty or light they need to be driven in a very sedate manner.

Apologise video already posted

google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. … t-56669974

We have fitted steel plates standing upright behind the headboard to act as a counter balance for a few customers in the past.

the maoster:
As a matter of interest next time you’re parked somewhere in the company of other lorries have a look around to see if there’s another one with a Moffet hanging off of the back. If the trailer is empty have a quick look at the fifth wheel, you’ll be surprised at the daylight you can see between it and the trailer rubbing plate.

As Robroy alluded to earlier these are NOT cars and especially when empty or light they need to be driven in a very sedate manner.

‘A sedate manner’ isn’t exactly the solution to loss of steering because the rear wheels are being lifted off the road by a bleedin great weight hanging off the back of the rear over hang and nothing to counter it.
It’s a design flaw regards empty or light running not a driver isssue.

dave docwra:
We have fitted steel plates standing upright behind the headboard to act as a counter balance for a few customers in the past.

Which then has to be subtracted from the payload on the pin.
As opposed to ‘asking’ the customer if they have loading/unloading equipment on site if not then the stuff doesn’t get delivered or collected.
Too tight to rent a forklift isn’t an excuse.

Carryfast:

dave docwra:

As opposed to ‘asking’ the customer if they have loading/unloading equipment on site if not then the stuff doesn’t get delivered or collected.

Payload over the pin or anywhere else on the trailer made no difference to the companies as they all transported light products,

Have you ever tried lifting something heavy with a Moffat out of curiosity ?

dave docwra:

Carryfast:

dave docwra:

Payload over the pin or anywhere else on the trailer made no difference to the companies as they all transported light products,

Something that can lift 2.5t ain’t going to be light.Where/how heavy is the thing’s counter balance weight and how far is all the weight behind the trailer axles when stowed.
It’s obvious that it shouldn’t be used on trailers unless the trailer is counter weighted on the pin.

I’ve used moffetts for a few years now. I’ve had them on an artic trailer without any counterbalance, a trailer with concrete railway sleepers in a metal cage on the headboard and now on the back of a wagon and drag with no counter balance. Never felt like it’s close to outta control.
With my current setup when the moffett is off the ring on the bar is at the bottom of the coupling but when it’s on the back the ring is at the top. Another way to put it is I have to wind the rear legs down if I drop the drag with the moffett on the back and it still lifts the front legs off the ground! This doesn’t happen without the moffett. Not lost control…yet!

In case anybody was wondering the weight of a moffett, my M8 nx series is 2.6 tons! They ain’t light considering the size of them.

dave docwra:

Carryfast:

dave docwra:

Fun isn’t it. If you forget to put the support legs out its amazing how quickly you can drop the forks back down in a panic :laughing:

We have lead ballast on the headboard. Max load is 22t allowing for that and the machine

May have unloaded a part load at the front first and not moved the rear up out of laziness. Would only need a pallet weighing a ton on the rear overhang of a trailer with a Moffett and you’d be in big trouble.

Once got crossed up,in the tram lines…on the m180.
One minute fine,next minute I’m on the hard shoulder.
Empty trailer with Moffat.

Looks like he hit a diesel patch there.Or there was a Suez gust of wind .I left curtainsiders after the Severn Crossing horror last year