New pants needed

Bull Transport driver had some kind of spin out and slammed into the side of the single railings heading North on the M5 Avonmouth Bridge today, I bet he cacked himself when he seen the huge drop coming at him, lucky just the motor damaged along with some pride no doubt. I always had my doubt if that thin barrier would survive a hit but it did.

Always wandered about that bridge…

Wow :open_mouth:

Definitely a lucky driver.

drover:

That’s just dangerous,and illegal :laughing:

drover:

I’ve always wondered about a lot of bridges, QE2 over the Thames for example, would those barriers really protect a real hard impact, i.e. 2 or 3 wagons coming together at 56 mph?

I wonder if that was the 750?

These two battered the crash barrier on the M62 Ouse Bridge last year, the cars and engines separated but the barriers remained intact.

bald bloke:
Bull Transport driver had some kind of spin out and slammed into the side of the single railings heading North on the M5 Avonmouth Bridge today, I bet he cacked himself when he seen the huge drop coming at him, lucky just the motor damaged along with some pride no doubt. I always had my doubt if that thin barrier would survive a hit but it did. 0.

Wow That’s one lucky driver…the drop from that spot is unreal…it may have been blizzard condition but the sun was shining on him for sure…don’t know but new pants I would need a new ■■■

pierrot 14:
I’ve always wondered about a lot of bridges, QE2 over the Thames for example, would those barriers really protect a real hard impact, i.e. 2 or 3 wagons coming together at 56 mph?

56 mph ■■? more than likely 5/6 mph there …

Grip on that bridge with a full load in the wet is dire, in the slush it would have been much, much worse.
Lucky driver!

Reef:
I wonder if that was the 750?

No it wasn’t.

raymundo:

pierrot 14:

56 mph ■■? more than likely 5/6 mph there …

Wasn’t talking about the rush hour/hours Ray !! Now the tolls have gone you can actually get up to a good speed in the quiet times, and yes there are some, honestly. Better than the other direction, that’s for sure :laughing:

That barrier certainly looks flimsy, obviously up to the job though. Lucky man…

I looked at this thread only wondering whether the title had anything to do with the John Major speech! :laughing:

“The performance of a barrier is made up of two main things: the containment level and the working width of the barrier. The working width is the width of the barrier plus the amount of deflection that occurs when the barrier is impacted. [5] Safety barriers are tested to European Standard EN1317, which is a standardised performance test. A barrier designed for normal containment would be tested with a vehicle of 1.5tons (an average car) hitting the barrier at an angle of 20 degrees at a speed of 70mph. High containment barriers would be tested with a heavy commercial vehicle, up to 38 tons, travelling at 40mph, hitting the barrier at an angle of 20 degrees”
brake.org.uk/news/15-facts-a … h-barriers
That looks quite old but it`s a guide.

Hit a barrier a bit quick, at more than a glancing angle, and it`s Goodnight Vienna.

A tanker cab went through the barriers on the A2 Jubilee way above Dover ferry port years ago .
Major job to recover it as it was just the pin and legs keeping it from dropping down on the offices below .
Poor driver had a cardiac event that he didn’t survive.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

AndrewG:

If he went through it’s approximately 100 ft to either the ground or where he was it would’ve been an ice cold dirty river :open_mouth:

bald bloke:

AndrewG:

If he went through it’s approximately 100 ft to either the ground or where he was it would’ve been an ice cold dirty river :open_mouth:

The temperature of the water would not have been too high on the list of his worries I`d think?

EDIT.
Using 9.8 m/s/s for g and assuming the estimate of 100ft, is correct so 30m drop ?
Weve got these, (but my keyboard doesnt do indices, sorry)

1. v = v0 + at
  2. s = s0 + v0t + ½at2
  3. v2 = v02 + 2a(s − s0)

Using 2. 30 = 0 + 0t + half 9.8 t.squared (initial position and initial vertical velocity is zero)
30 = half 9.8 t.squared
60/9.8 = t.squared.
t.squared = about 6 so t = about 2.5s.

Using 1. v0 is zero (vertical velocity) ( it doesnt much matter if you go over the edge slow or fast) v = 9.8 x 2.5 = about 25m/s (or 25 x 60 x 60 /1000 = 90kph) so coincidentally, its the same speed as being on the limiter.

So if that truck went over the edge hed hit the ground at 56mph, about two and a half seconds after leaving the bridge. Bet thatd seem a kin long two nalf seconds though!

EDIT 2
Feel free to correct any errors I`ve made.

Franglais he almost definitely would’ve been light as was returning to Tesco but I dread to think if he was laden upto 44t how well the barrier would’ve stood up to it, looked a ■■■■ nice Volvo too :cry:

Franglais:
. Using 9.8 m/s/s for g and assuming the estimate of 100ft, is correct so 30m drop ?
Weve got these, (but my keyboard doesnt do indices, sorry)

1. v = v0 + at
  2. s = s0 + v0t + ½at2
  3. v2 = v02 + 2a(s − s0)

Using 2. 30 = 0 + 0t + half 9.8 t.squared (initial position and initial vertical velocity is zero)
30 = half 9.8 t.squared
60/9.8 = t.squared.
t.squared = about 6 so t = about 2.5s.

Using 1. v0 is zero (vertical velocity) ( it doesn`t much matter if you go over the edge slow or fast)
v = 9.8 x 2.5 = about 25m/s (or 25 x 60 x 60 /1000 = 90kph)

Monty Python:
Would that be the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow carrying a coconut?