New pants needed

peirre:

Franglais:
. Using 9.8 m/s/s for g and assuming the estimate of 100ft, is correct so 30m drop ?
Weve got these, (but my keyboard doesnt do indices, sorry)

1. v = v0 + at
  2. s = s0 + v0t + ½at2
  3. v2 = v02 + 2a(s − s0)

Using 2. 30 = 0 + 0t + half 9.8 t.squared (initial position and initial vertical velocity is zero)
30 = half 9.8 t.squared
60/9.8 = t.squared.
t.squared = about 6 so t = about 2.5s.

Using 1. v0 is zero (vertical velocity) ( it doesn`t much matter if you go over the edge slow or fast)
v = 9.8 x 2.5 = about 25m/s (or 25 x 60 x 60 /1000 = 90kph)

Monty Python:
Would that be the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow carrying a coconut?

It`d be the air speed velocity of a coconut NOT carried by a swallow!
:slight_smile:

Franglais:

bald bloke:

AndrewG:
That barrier certainly looks flimsy, obviously up to the job though. Lucky man…

If he went through it’s approximately 100 ft to either the ground or where he was it would’ve been an ice cold dirty river :open_mouth:

The temperature of the water would not have been too high on the list of his worries I`d think?

EDIT.
Using 9.8 m/s/s for g and assuming the estimate of 100ft, is correct so 30m drop ?

1. v = v0 + at
  2. s = s0 + v0t + ½at2
  3. v2 = v02 + 2a(s − s0)

Using 2. 30 = 0 + 0t + half 9.8 t.squared (initial position and initial vertical velocity is zero)
30 = half 9.8 t.squared
60/9.8 = t.squared.

Using 1. v0 is zero (vertical velocity) ( it doesnt much matter if you go over the edge slow or fast) v = 9.8 x 2.5 = about 25m/s (or 25 x 60 x 60 /1000 = 90kph) so coincidentally, its the same speed as being on the limiter.

So if that truck went over the edge hed hit the ground at 56mph, about two and a half seconds after leaving the bridge. Bet thatd seem a kin long two nalf seconds though!

EDIT 2
Feel free to correct any errors I`ve made.

It’s the deceleration that hurts…

A few years back a petrol tanker went through the barriers on m56 near Runcorn.dropped 100 foot and exploded. Dept of transport say those barriers are adequate, bloody was for that tanker and poor driver.

Every time I cross that bridge over the Tay at the A90 near Perth, i look at the railings and imagine there isn’t any kind of barrier.
As, In my opinion there might as well not be.
Not in a heavy anyway.

Not just in our country .
This is the first of the long bridges in Denmark.
The full elevated section has loaded container ships going under it .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Bull driver was almost home too , bet he was cursing . Hated that bridge during the rebuild when trucks had to run up the shoulder , clenched every time the wind blew :unamused:

Franglais:

bald bloke:

AndrewG:
That barrier certainly looks flimsy, obviously up to the job though. Lucky man…

If he went through it’s approximately 100 ft to either the ground or where he was it would’ve been an ice cold dirty river :open_mouth:

The temperature of the water would not have been too high on the list of his worries I`d think?

EDIT.
Using 9.8 m/s/s for g and assuming the estimate of 100ft, is correct so 30m drop ?

1. v = v0 + at
  2. s = s0 + v0t + ½at2
  3. v2 = v02 + 2a(s − s0)

30 = half 9.8 t.squared
60/9.8 = t.squared.

Using 1. v0 is zero (vertical velocity) ( it doesnt much matter if you go over the edge slow or fast) v = 9.8 x 2.5 = about 25m/s (or 25 x 60 x 60 /1000 = 90kph) so coincidentally, its the same speed as being on the limiter.

So if that truck went over the edge hed hit the ground at 56mph, about two and a half seconds after leaving the bridge. Bet thatd seem a kin long two nalf seconds though!

EDIT 2
Feel free to correct any errors I`ve made.

You’re spot on…I was just typing all that as your post popped up so to save a DP I deleted [emoji1]

They are “supposed” the withstand 14 ton hitting it head on . But as that they are hit from an angle the force doesn’t get that high . Didn’t one go of the thelwall a few years ago . Mulgrews comes to mind