New Driver (Reversing Issues)

Daytrunker:
Hi Izzy
Class 2 or class 1 first gig? Class 1 without a doubt,reason being that’s what you want to do (like most on here),class 2 will teach you out on your own how to drive and reverse then have to try and forget it to re learn class 1,(if you see me try to reverse a class 2 after 6months on class 1 its a You’ve been framed moment lol :confused: ".
Look on class 2 as something you had to do to get your artic license so class 1 straight off in my opinion.
As for reversing onto bays there is no rule when to get straight,earlier is better as its easier but it takes as long as it takes,above all ASK for help better than hitting something

Hope this helps

jeff.

Thanks Jeff. I would prefer to go straight onto class, like you say that’s what I have intended to do. I think with me not driving for over a year when I jump in the unit it seems a little daunting. I’m guessing after a couple of hours on the motorway then I should be feeling comfortable with it again.

Izzy7172

Hi
Yes it will be daunting but so will class 2 so class 1 will get you where you want to be.
Take your time don’t rush and feel your way into it,if you need both lanes at a roundabout take it,look how much room you will need and block both lanes off if you have to,ignore cars vans etc who try to squeeze inside you block em off and do your own thing don’t be rushed.
Slow and Safe to start with don’t try and rush about enjoy driving artics best job ever.

Hi ya
A little tip I always us when reversing into bays etc have a quick look on the floor …theres normally a lovely line to follow of tyre marks from other drivers use them as ur line of reverse don’t use ur accelerator just let the truck go back nice n slow as someone said it’s not a race little turns on the wheel till u get the feel of how fast the trailers bending , don’t panic if it’s not happening shunt forward and start again ,even now I get out half way thru a reverse to check I’m going in how I want if u take a few shunts who cares as long as the truck keeps all it paint jobs a good un

Good luck
Jx

Izzy7172:

UselessForce:
It soon drops and all of a sudden gets a whole lot easier. I’ve only been on artics since jan but already more then comfortable with them and really happy with my reversing etc. Good luck [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I have been on the phone today with some agencies so hopefully will be starting maybe this/or next weekend. Did you drive Class 2 first or jump straight onto the arctics? I would be happy with Class 2, but don’t want to get used to it and then stay on them.

Izzy7172

I done 10 months on class 2, I found having that under my belt made the transition to artic a lot easier [emoji846] I found one way to get my artic reversing up to scratch was to always try doing the reverse on the good side to start with that way you can throw your head out the window and have a good view on what’s going on and what needs to be done. Once I’m looking out the window I don’t think at all about what my hand is doing and just watch where I am pushing the trailer. Now I’ve got the hang of that I’ve been blindsiding more and more and you find it all comes together quite quickly. Best of luck and hope you get something soon! [emoji846]

Daytrunker:
Hi
Yes it will be daunting but so will class 2 so class 1 will get you where you want to be.
Take your time don’t rush and feel your way into it,if you need both lanes at a roundabout take it,look how much room you will need and block both lanes off if you have to,ignore cars vans etc who try to squeeze inside you block em off and do your own thing don’t be rushed.
Slow and Safe to start with don’t try and rush about enjoy driving artics best job ever.

Thanks for the advice. I’m hoping that I do get used to it, I think I’m slightly put off with trying to learn everything in one go. I think it’s more not knowing what to what to expect when you get to your delivery point.

Jennie:
Hi ya
A little tip I always us when reversing into bays etc have a quick look on the floor …theres normally a lovely line to follow of tyre marks from other drivers use them as ur line of reverse don’t use ur accelerator just let the truck go back nice n slow as someone said it’s not a race little turns on the wheel till u get the feel of how fast the trailers bending , don’t panic if it’s not happening shunt forward and start again ,even now I get out half way thru a reverse to check I’m going in how I want if u take a few shunts who cares as long as the truck keeps all it paint jobs a good un

Good luck
Jx

Thanks, I will give it a try when I next go out, think I will be doing my first run next weekend. I have only reversed onto a bay with nothing around me, not tried it with two units either side. Although I have watched some reversing on the internet which has made me feel slightly better, I am now knowing where to position the lorry to make it as easy as possible when backing up.

UselessForce:

Izzy7172:

UselessForce:
It soon drops and all of a sudden gets a whole lot easier. I’ve only been on artics since jan but already more then comfortable with them and really happy with my reversing etc. Good luck [emoji846]

Thanks. I have been on the phone today with some agencies so hopefully will be starting maybe this/or next weekend. Did you drive Class 2 first or jump straight onto the arctics? I would be happy with Class 2, but don’t want to get used to it and then stay on them.

Izzy7172

I done 10 months on class 2, I found having that under my belt made the transition to artic a lot easier [emoji846] I found one way to get my artic reversing up to scratch was to always try doing the reverse on the good side to start with that way you can throw your head out the window and have a good view on what’s going on and what needs to be done. Once I’m looking out the window I don’t think at all about what my hand is doing and just watch where I am pushing the trailer. Now I’ve got the hang of that I’ve been blindsiding more and more and you find it all comes together quite quickly. Best of luck and hope you get something soon! [emoji846]

Yeah, I’m just hoping I don’t get a blind-side, have enough on with reversing on the right side. I think I would be more comfortable with the Class 2, but don’t then want to stick to it. I should have gonoe straight into driving once I had passed my test TBH.

Izzy7172:

Jennie:
Hi ya

Good luck
Jx

Thanks, I will give it a try when I next go out, think I will be doing my first run next weekend. I have only reversed onto a bay with nothing around me, not tried it with two units either side. Although I have watched some reversing on the internet which has made me feel slightly better, I am now knowing where to position the lorry to make it as easy as possible when backing up.

Well just so u dont feel pressure …last week went to co-op andover they tell u to park on left take ur paperwork in then tell u which bay to go on…so not a dam thing on left do u think could get that trailer straight :imp: :smiling_imp: …then over to bays on the right truck already on bay , reversed in nay probs except for the fact forgot to open me barn doors and had to pull forward again :wink: :laughing: , think it helps to have a guideline , but dont worry the prev post of hanging you head out to reverse is spot on u dont think about which way your hands are going just watch the trailer happy days , just dont pressure yourself it will just click promise , i have had so many issues with reversing when i first passed because overthunk it and wanted to look good getting it in every time as soon as took pressure off myself and didnt worry about getting it first time it came together …happy days …ive even taken about 10 shunts to get a rev with all guys watching across the bays feeling the pressure could either of gone off and cried (which believe me felt like doing) or brash it out …I got out of unit to pull curtains and stood in front of unit and took a bow pmsl :laughing: havin a coffee in canteen guys were talking to me saying dont worry we all have a nightmare couldnt of been nicer to me …honest they not bothered they have all been there when first starting out …
good luck on your run hope you enjoy it , :smiley:

jx

Izzy7172:
Well just so u dont feel pressure …last week went to co-op andover they tell u to park on left take ur paperwork in then tell u which bay to go on…so not a dam thing on left do u think could get that trailer straight :imp: :smiling_imp: …then over to bays on the right truck already on bay , reversed in nay probs except for the fact forgot to open me barn doors and had to pull forward again :wink: :laughing: , think it helps to have a guideline , but dont worry the prev post of hanging you head out to reverse is spot on u dont think about which way your hands are going just watch the trailer happy days , just dont pressure yourself it will just click promise , i have had so many issues with reversing when i first passed because overthunk it and wanted to look good getting it in every time as soon as took pressure off myself and didnt worry about getting it first time it came together …happy days …ive even taken about 10 shunts to get a rev with all guys watching across the bays feeling the pressure could either of gone off and cried (which believe me felt like doing) or brash it out …I got out of unit to pull curtains and stood in front of unit and took a bow pmsl :laughing: havin a coffee in canteen guys were talking to me saying dont worry we all have a nightmare couldnt of been nicer to me …honest they not bothered they have all been there when first starting out …

jx

Hey,

Thanks for the advice. I will let you know how it goes :slight_smile:

Jennie:

Izzy7172:

Jennie:
Hi ya

Good luck
Jx

jx

This, unless you’ve got a complete arse watching generally other drivers aren’t judging you or what you are doing as I’ve found now… and if you get the arse ignore him and carry on doing what you are doing. most real drivers are more then willing to help guide you if you ask and we’ve all been at the point our reversing wasn’t at its best. I had 19 empty bays to play with at a delivery yesterday got told bay 8 please got on 7 no trouble then realised, pulled off and then on to 9 could I heck hit 8… did get it after a few mins [emoji23][emoji23] I feel it’s much easier getting a bay next to or in between other vehicles lol in regards to class 2 do what you feel is best for you, if class 2 driving for a bit would help then by all means go for it just insist it isn’t permanent and that you will move on to get class 1 if you need to. [emoji846]

You’re green, and hence your reversing is crap.
Well get over it, and get on with it! :grimacing:

We’ve all been there, you just take lots and lots of care, learning as you go…

Good luck mate you will get there.

This, unless you’ve got a complete arse watching generally other drivers aren’t judging you or what you are doing as I’ve found now… and if you get the arse ignore him and carry on doing what you are doing. most real drivers are more then willing to help guide you if you ask and we’ve all been at the point our reversing wasn’t at its best. I had 19 empty bays to play with at a delivery yesterday got told bay 8 please got on 7 no trouble then realised, pulled off and then on to 9 could I heck hit 8… did get it after a few mins [emoji23][emoji23] I feel it’s much easier getting a bay next to or in between other vehicles lol in regards to class 2 do what you feel is best for you, if class 2 driving for a bit would help then by all means go for it just insist it isn’t permanent and that you will move on to get class 1 if you need to. [emoji846]

Thanks for the reply. I have found that, when I went into work at a weekend to have a practice there were about 20 empty bays, and could I get it on the one I wanted to. I was going to have a practice next to some trailers but didn’t want to hit one. I think though I was trying to reverse like I was going round a L shape corner and not getting the trailer in line before backing up.

Izzy7172

Izzy7172:

Thanks for the reply. I have found that, when I went into work at a weekend to have a practice there were about 20 empty bays, and could I get it on the one I wanted to. I was going to have a practice next to some trailers but didn’t want to hit one. I think though I was trying to reverse like I was going round a L shape corner and not getting the trailer in line before backing up.

Izzy7172

When getting on a bay get the trailer as straight as you can and use all the room you need,watch the trailer wheels when reversing little bit at a time,more lock you put on too early more you will have to take off and will have you watching both mirrors and getting in a pickle rather quickly.
If you look like its going away from you stop pull forward straighten up and go again,trying to recover will tie you in knots.
If you don’t want to reverse between trucks at work get then to put 2 stacks of pallets and reverse between them,once your in pull out and make the gap smaller,pulled into services before got between 2 trucks and can’t walk between them its that tight trailer skimming mirrors but has to b done.

Evening,

I just wanted to say thanks for all the advice and messages that I have received on this site.

So I ended up doing my first run at the weekend for the company that I currently work for (on agency), it was a last minute decision as they needed me to cover a run that was going out at 04:00. I must admit the advice from people saying just get on and do it and don’t keep putting it off is really good advice, I think I learn’t more on this run than I did for my actual test. When I arrived at the depot it wasn’t what I expected and I actually ended up hand-balling all the pallets off the vehicle which I thought I would be just backing onto a bay for them to do.

I still need loads to learn but I feel a lot more confident about going out on another run, although I can imagine it will be completely different from the last one.

Thanks all :smiley:

Living up to my name and arriving late to the party!

Sounds like you’re off to the right start so keep at it.

My top tips are:

Don’t worry about getting as straight as you can, focus on setting yourself up at an angle you can control. If you get the lorry bent at close to the right angle whilst going forward then when you back it up most of what you’re doing is just finesse it into the space.

If you lose the plot, stop right away, take a shunt, have another go. Don’t redo the whole thing, just adjust the lorry and try again and see what happens.

Sometimes you just won’t have the skills. Get help! Damage to your ego is much easier to deal with than damage to kit!

When you get onto a bay, take some extra shunts and get yourself dead centre and dead straight. It seems like a right mission, but it’s good practice. I’ve noticed that slowly but surely I’m getting better at centre and straight, if you always stop before that you don’t have a reference to work from.

Accept that you’re going to be crap in comparison with an experienced driver. Then just work on letting yourself get better through practice. The best thing about practice is that it doesn’t matter how crap you are as long as you’re trying to get better!!!

slowlane:
Living up to my name and arriving late to the party!

Sounds like you’re off to the right start so keep at it.

My top tips are:

Don’t worry about getting as straight as you can, focus on setting yourself up at an angle you can control. If you get the lorry bent at close to the right angle whilst going forward then when you back it up most of what you’re doing is just finesse it into the space.

If you lose the plot, stop right away, take a shunt, have another go. Don’t redo the whole thing, just adjust the lorry and try again and see what happens.

Sometimes you just won’t have the skills. Get help! Damage to your ego is much easier to deal with than damage to kit!

When you get onto a bay, take some extra shunts and get yourself dead centre and dead straight. It seems like a right mission, but it’s good practice. I’ve noticed that slowly but surely I’m getting better at centre and straight, if you always stop before that you don’t have a reference to work from.

Accept that you’re going to be crap in comparison with an experienced driver. Then just work on letting yourself get better through practice. The best thing about practice is that it doesn’t matter how crap you are as long as you’re trying to get better!!!

Hey,

Thanks for the advice. I think the biggest thing for me is not knowing what the depot is going to be like, or getting stuck somewhere on a industrial estate. When I got to my drop at the weekend there was a lorry already blocking the barrier, so I had to carry on till I found a roundabout to swing it round to come back again. Once I got there I had to pull up next to the first lorry, then when he had unloaded I had to reverse back on a hill and then swing it round and re-reverse it under a canopy. Luckily there was a lot of space apart from the parked cars. I did it pretty well and didn’t have to shunt, and then there is other times in the yard when I need to back onto an empty bay and it takes me about 4 shunts. They have asked me to do a few more weekends for them so I will see what other delights they have in store :smiley:

When I passed i learned the hard way forced to park our trailer park up properly which drivers of 20-30 years experience struggle with so the best advice is get into situations which cause you to have to reverse practice makes perfect

If you’re going somewhere new, and you don’t know what the place is going to be like, invest a bit of extra time in some proper research as to where you’re going.

It is far better to do this at the start than to wait until you get there, find you’ve overshot or taken a wrong turn, and have to figure out a way of turning around or extricating yourself from whatever mess you’ve gotten yourself into.

Use Google maps to pinpoint the postcode, then switch on satellite view to see if it makes visual sense and corresponds with a site of the kind of size you’re expecting. Postcodes can be hundreds of yards adrift, and that can make all the difference. Don’t rely on Google labels of buildings, they’re often wrong. Don’t rely on the guy in the transport office who assures you the postcode will take you right there - sometimes they’re wrong too.

Use your brain before you set out and try to pinpoint not only the depot, but the HGV entrance too. Sometimes HGVs enter via a different road to the address of the front door.

Use your eyes as you approach the general area and look for any clues as to where you’re going. It can be a doddle if you spot one of the company’s lorries returning to base and you can tail them in, or you may spot one coming out from somewhere which gives you a clue as to the direction to go. If you see one of them following you, maybe spin around a roundabout to let him get out in front, then cling onto his rear end for an easy ride.

Use your legs when you arrive if you’re unsure, they’re much easier to turn around than a lorry :slight_smile: . If it looks tight, is it possible that HGVs are expected to reverse in? Any instruction signs? Anyone to ask what’s expected of you now you’ve arrived? Just tell them you’ve not been there before and they’ll almost always be helpful.

Inside the depot you may be told to park up and go to the office for instructions. Don’t be shy, take the opportunity to practice reversing if there’s a bit of room available. Sometimes there’ll be some blindside angled parking spots opposite the bays - they can be tricky, but are valuable experience if you have a good safety margin. If not, it may initially be safer to abandon your wagon going forwards somewhere, and go for either the apologetic or arrogant look as you strut off to towards the office…both work.

ORC:
If you’re going somewhere new, and you don’t know what the place is going to be like, invest a bit of extra time in some proper research as to where you’re going.

It is far better to do this at the start than to wait until you get there, find you’ve overshot or taken a wrong turn, and have to figure out a way of turning around or extricating yourself from whatever mess you’ve gotten yourself into.

Use Google maps to pinpoint the postcode, then switch on satellite view to see if it makes visual sense and corresponds with a site of the kind of size you’re expecting. Postcodes can be hundreds of yards adrift, and that can make all the difference. Don’t rely on Google labels of buildings, they’re often wrong. Don’t rely on the guy in the transport office who assures you the postcode will take you right there - sometimes they’re wrong too.

Use your brain before you set out and try to pinpoint not only the depot, but the HGV entrance too. Sometimes HGVs enter via a different road to the address of the front door.

Use your eyes as you approach the general area and look for any clues as to where you’re going. It can be a doddle if you spot one of the company’s lorries returning to base and you can tail them in, or you may spot one coming out from somewhere which gives you a clue as to the direction to go. If you see one of them following you, maybe spin around a roundabout to let him get out in front, then cling onto his rear end for an easy ride.

Use your legs when you arrive if you’re unsure, they’re much easier to turn around than a lorry :slight_smile: . If it looks tight, is it possible that HGVs are expected to reverse in? Any instruction signs? Anyone to ask what’s expected of you now you’ve arrived? Just tell them you’ve not been there before and they’ll almost always be helpful.

Inside the depot you may be told to park up and go to the office for instructions. Don’t be shy, take the opportunity to practice reversing if there’s a bit of room available. Sometimes there’ll be some blindside angled parking spots opposite the bays - they can be tricky, but are valuable experience if you have a good safety margin. If not, it may initially be safer to abandon your wagon going forwards somewhere, and go for either the apologetic or arrogant look as you strut off to towards the office…both work.

Hi,

Thanks for the sound advice, TBH I never thought of looking up the area to check the depot/reversing area (Google Maps). I have now been offered a trail run for a couple of weeks from my normal position, so I get to decide if I can cope with the working hours. At least this way I then get a choice to see if driving really is for me, if not then I go back to my normal full time job.

Thanks

Izzy7172