My Trucking Days Are Over!

Grandpa:

commonrail:

Grandpa:
Can I come and work at your place?

Yes…so long as you’re recommended by a trusted source,or a proven limper.

I come highly recommended by DCPCFML from the Truckers Forum, a certified ‘limper.’ Can supply my own music at no cost to you and am willing to sleep during working hours without a pillow, if pushed. For £14 – 16ph I’ll do 12 hours shifts and an extra £4ph on top of that guarantees I won’t leave you for a £5 daily food allowance from Eddie. :slight_smile:

Can only guarantee 9.5 hours.

Noremac:
The Trucknet way. If a poster’s posts do not meet with thyself and thy cronies, start throwing muck.

I’m covered in it.

commonrail:

Grandpa:

commonrail:

Grandpa:
Can I come and work at your place?

Yes…so long as you’re recommended by a trusted source,or a proven limper.

I come highly recommended by DCPCFML from the Truckers Forum, a certified ‘limper.’ Can supply my own music at no cost to you and am willing to sleep during working hours without a pillow, if pushed. For £14 – 16ph I’ll do 12 hours shifts and an extra £4ph on top of that guarantees I won’t leave you for a £5 daily food allowance from Eddie. :slight_smile:

Can only guarantee 9.5 hours.

Does that include my promised sleeping time?

Sleep time will not be part of your planned day.
However…you will encounter incredibly long tips.this time could be spent asleep…if you’re that way inclined.
I prefer not to sleep in the day,as I find it hinders my natural sleep pattern

commonrail:
Sleep time will not be part of your planned day.
However…you will encounter incredibly long tips.this time could be spent asleep…if you’re that way inclined.
I prefer not to sleep in the day,as I find it hinders my natural sleep pattern

No, no. At my age sleeping is both my hobby and something I’m skilled at - I’m one of the best around even though I say so myself. The promise clearly stated good rates, p**s easy job, play tunes all day and sleep after drops. I already said I’d compromise and supply my own pillow and now you’re saying the job doesn’t exist? Imagine how disappointed I am. :slight_smile:

You DO have to give and take,a little grandpa.

commonrail:

I already have, I’ve saved the company the cost of a pillow to rest my weary on and don’t now try to tell me the quoted £14 was a Ltd rate and PAYE rates are available on request. It’s also a lie that I asked for an electric Teasmade, although I wouldn’t argue if they supplied it. I’ve bent as far backwards as age and my back allows to be accommodating, but I can’t compromise on sleep and (sniffs politely and looks down nose), 45 minutes every 4½ hours is simply not on and is an abuse of my OAP rights. I’m not to be messed with, I’m a free bus pass holder yer know.

Grandpa:

commonrail:

don’t now try to tell me the quoted £14 was a Ltd rate and PAYE rates are available on request.

I’m paye.

Anyway…must dash
2 drops today :cry:

commonrail:

Grandpa:

commonrail:

don’t now try to tell me the quoted £14 was a Ltd rate and PAYE rates are available on request.

I’m paye.

Anyway…must dash

Disgraceful (sigh). When I were a young whippersnapper, the longed for words, ‘sorry mate can’t tip yer fer three hours’ was met with the reply, ‘not to worry, don’t rush yourself n give us a knock when yer ready.’ It all got done, but just not in time.

Now it’s all rushing about with a pump truck for Hurry Up Haulage with your next delivery from Bay 7 in Birmingham to London in 57 minutes arriving at 09.08 like the old British rail timetable. That’s whilst shouting on the phone to the planner who’s watching you in your cab on a camera, ‘I’ve already got my foot down and can’t get there in 57 minutes, it won’t go any bloody faster!’ And don’t get me on the subject of sleeping, (shakes head). :laughing:

Welcome to the Yorkie Bar fantasy world of HGV driving in which good jobs are plentiful, the rates are excellent, there’s no shortage of drivers and anyone who doesn’t believe that must be a clown or stupid.

Some things in life are obvious, but still come as a surprise too many. The 2008 economic crash is an example. Then there are beliefs and from Greta’s ice caps melting in a climate catastrophe to the recent flu marketed by Boris as the great plague … All have their adherents who swear by it.

So too the consequences of flooding an economy with foreign HGV drivers, or allowing an open borders of Eastern European haulage companies to compete are obvious … Google ‘British haulage companies going bankrupt’ for an alternative to doing an impersonation of an ostrich!

But apart from that the transport industry is doing great and there are lots of jobs for the taking? No, there’s a lot of low paid c**p, stress and disillusionment marketed as HGV driving and lots of drivers pretending it’s normal and doing the parrot thing of ‘it’s always been like that.’ Again, no it hasn’t. Your chances of landing a blue-chip real driving job is now similar to betting on Russia invading Europe.

That all sounds a bit pessimistic doesn’t it, but is it true? I suppose the ones lucky enough to be in good jobs will say no, but aren’t in a rush to move anywhere else and in age old fashion wonder why everybody else isn’t happy. The majority struggling will keep changing jobs hoping to find that elusive position where they aren’t run into the ground for peanuts and hoping the stress and physical workload doesn’t put them on the sick.

When is the last time you saw a HGV driver smile? Why do so many drivers work for a near minimum wage at Eddie’s (previously a favourite haunt of Bridge basher’s and other undesirables), or labour intensive Lidl’s (advertised as 60% labour, 40% driving) that need to advertise 365 days a year? Is it because drivers prefer it to these mythical jobs that are paying great rates in an industry where there are no shortage of great jobs?

All this is the result of a minimum wage gig-economy and the same apples to those in the warehouses staffed almost entirely by minimum wage foreigners and offices containing p/t minimum wage planners. The bottom line is that if there wasn’t a shortage of drivers willing to do a cp job for cp pay there wouldn’t be the amount of work advertised.

Grandpa:
When is the last time you saw a HGV driver smile?

I know, I’m looking resplendent in my new polo shirt

switchlogic:

Grandpa:

If you were ten years younger, you’d be the spitting image of Victor.
Soz

That’s not a smile. I can’t work out whether you’ve just been threatened with a covid jab or been told you’re doing multi-drops in central London tomorrow. :slight_smile:

switchlogic:

Grandpa:

Yikes!..

That particular style of photography/mug shot is usually found on the side of milk cartons isn’t it.

Grandpa:
That’s not a smile. I can’t work out whether you’ve just been threatened with a covid jab or been told you’re doing multi-drops in central London tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Blimey, your life is grim isn’t it if you can’t recognise a smile. My deepest condolences Geoffrey, I’m so very sorry.

Sort of says something about forums doesn’t it that someone posting a face picture leads to people getting bewildered and confused :smiley:

switchlogic:

Grandpa:

Blimey, your life is grim isn’t it if you can’t recognise a smile. My deepest condolences Geoffrey, I’m so very sorry.

You didn’t see the smile at the end of the post? You could put up a post about reversing onto a bay on here and get a tirade of abuse for your efforts.

Grandpa:

commonrail:

Grandpa:

commonrail:

I’m paye.

Anyway…must dash

Disgraceful (sigh). When I were a young whippersnapper, the longed for words, ‘sorry mate can’t tip yer fer three hours’ was met with the reply, ‘not to worry, don’t rush yourself n give us a knock when yer ready.’ It all got done, but just not in time.

You ain’t seen nothing yet.

Next drop waitrose MK…booked in 1815.

No cameras btw…union won’t stand for it :wink:

You ain’t seen nothing yet.

Next drop waitrose MK…booked in 1815.

No cameras btw…union won’t stand for it :wink:

Arrive 1500, booked in 1815? Sounds good. I could never find the Zzzz mode on my tacho, so I always used a break instead. :slight_smile:
A very good op here. Mission creep.. inward facing cameras - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

Not there yet.
I have to drive all the way from Wellingborough.
Regarding the camera thread…
People who damage stuff get the sack here.
Same as people who leave the interior in a mess.