Music

SirNickleBarsteward:
I always keep a few Tangerine Dream compilation CDs with me. Wispy Instrumental and synth music with no annoying vocals keeps me chilled when auto cruising miles 'n miles at 56mph on motorways.

Any particular album you would recommend from these dudes.I have tried to access this legendary band,but found it a bit hard going :slight_smile: they make some interesting noises but it doesn’t seem as accessible as say-Jean-michelle-jarre,Floyd or even Bo-Hennsons work ?..Hennsons-Lord Of The Rings,concept album is a masterpiece if you wanted some wispier stuff.Hendrix himself wanted Hennson in his band at one point.

I was around when the house music scene started, in it’s spiritual home Ibiza in fact, 1988 touted as the second summer of love, in my case it was as that’s where my son was made, consequently I love house music, but I’m a snob about it, I cannot stand the dirge that passes as house music on commercial radio. House is as the song says, a feeling, individually a house tune may not be that exciting, but get it in a mix by a good dj and it goes to another level, a good dj will build up over a dozen records into a crescendo and then tone it down a little to allow the crowd to regenerate and then slowly build it up again. I love to identify the particular beat that the dj uses to mix (blend) the records together, a top dj will have one beat that goes from start to finish in his/her set.

Another thing I like is scratching, watching the scratching competitions is fantastic, seeing how they get different sounds and beats by sticking their fingers on records makes me appreciate the talent and techniques they use.

Anyway, reminiscing about dancing in fields and abandoned warehouses is not all I do, my musical tastes are all over the place, I listen to 50s and 60s rock and roll, Motown, the supergroups, Beach Boys, Beatles, Stones etc etc etc, the flower power stuff (the era I would return to if I had a time machine) then the 70s supergroups, Blonde, Eagles, ELO, Fleetwood Mac, Led Zep, Wings etc, a bit of punk, Dead Kennedys, Pistols, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Ian Drury, onto the Jam and the Ska revival, then it was the New Romantics and the 80s soul music, into Electro Funk and house, throw in a bit of old school rap, Run DMC that kind of thing and that’s it in terms of genres.

Since then it’s been individual bands, Kaiser Chiefs, Keane, Oasis, Stereophonics, The Verve and the odd chart hit that penetrates my soul. For a laugh I just hit shuffle play on liked songs on my spotify and this happened.

1, Promised Land - Joe Smooth
2, Build me up buttercup - The Foundations
3, The night has a thousand eyes - Bobby Vee
4, Cigarettes and Alcohol - Oasis
5, My Sweet Lord - George Harrison
6, ■■■ - Rhianna
7, Out of touch - Hall and Oates
8, Can’t give me love - Suzi Quattro
9, Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder
10, A message to you Rudy - The Specials

When we’re in the car my Wife looks at me like I’m a lunatic when the randomness of my musical tastes blasts out of the speakers.

newmercman:
I was around when the house music scene started, in it’s spiritual home Ibiza in fact, 1988 touted as the second summer of love, in my case it was as that’s where my son was made, consequently I love house music, but I’m a snob about it, I cannot stand the dirge that passes as house music on commercial radio. House is as the song says, a feeling, individually a house tune may not be that exciting, but get it in a mix by a good dj and it goes to another level, a good dj will build up over a dozen records into a crescendo and then tone it down a little to allow the crowd to regenerate and then slowly build it up again. I love to identify the particular beat that the dj uses to mix (blend) the records together, a top dj will have one beat that goes from start to finish in his/her set.

Another thing I like is scratching, watching the scratching competitions is fantastic, seeing how they get different sounds and beats by sticking their fingers on records makes me appreciate the talent and techniques they use.

Anyway, reminiscing about dancing in fields and abandoned warehouses is not all I do, my musical tastes are all over the place, I listen to 50s and 60s rock and roll, Motown, the supergroups, Beach Boys, Beatles, Stones etc etc etc, the flower power stuff (the era I would return to if I had a time machine) then the 70s supergroups, Blonde, Eagles, ELO, Fleetwood Mac, Led Zep, Wings etc, a bit of punk, Dead Kennedys, Pistols, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Ian Drury, onto the Jam and the Ska revival, then it was the New Romantics and the 80s soul music, into Electro Funk and house, throw in a bit of old school rap, Run DMC that kind of thing and that’s it in terms of genres.

Since then it’s been individual bands, Kaiser Chiefs, Keane, Oasis, Stereophonics, The Verve and the odd chart hit that penetrates my soul. For a laugh I just hit shuffle play on liked songs on my spotify and this happened.

6, ■■■ - Rhianna

When we’re in the car my Wife looks at me like I’m a lunatic when the randomness of my musical tastes blasts out of the speakers.

Good selection.Suzi-Quatro was my childhood distraction.Still got a hard spot for this grand-dame of rock n roll all these years later.‘Stumbling in’ is a glorious piece of work.Ditto-Wings,that dvd of their ‘Wings over America’ concert in 75,must have been the very highest pinnacle of rock-music performing at it’s zenith,utterly spellbinding performances from the band.Great dvd available to buy,but the visuals aren’t top notch.
Shame macca’ :unamused: s still bed-blocking the music landscape with his current bilge although there’s little in the way of competition.Talk about running on empty.

manalishi:

newmercman:
6, ■■■ - Rhianna

Good selection.Suzi-Quatro was my childhood distraction.Still got a hard spot for this grand-dame of rock n roll all these years later.‘Stumbling in’ is a glorious piece of work.Ditto-Wings,that dvd of their ‘Wings over America’ concert in 75,must have been the very highest pinnacle of rock-music performing at it’s zenith,utterly spellbinding performances from the band.Great dvd available to buy,but the visuals aren’t top notch.
Shame macca’ :unamused: s still bed-blocking the music landscape with his current bilge although there’s little in the way of competition.Talk about running on empty.

In the day Suzi Quatro was just seen as light weight commercial pop.With the Bay City Rollers and The Sweet etc.It shows how much things have gone downhill when they all sound like more than credible performers.

I’d change
2 the Tremeloes Call Me Number One
3 Beatles Something.
5 What is Life
8 Can the Can
9 Higher Ground
10 The Jam Going Underground

That was purely random, I let the computer pick them, with the exception of My Sweet Lord, none of them are my favourite songs from that particular artist.

newmercman:
That was purely random, I let the computer pick them, with the exception of My Sweet Lord, none of them are my favourite songs from that particular artist.

My Sweet Lord is brilliant played really loud through some old school speakers.
Can add Neil Diamond Kentucky Woman and Cherry Cherry to that.I like acoustic guitars as much as electric.

Just discovering the charms of Caravan-albums-(girls that go bump in the night and-’ In the land of grey and pink’- 70’s…jazzdelic,proggish but very er…groovy.Family are another class act, Roger Chapmans vocals never took any prisoners but lord they were ■■■■ fine minstrels in their time.‘Larf and sing’ ‘my friend the sun’ etc.

And lest we forget-‘Car-67’ by…not sure :angry: a nostalgic reminder of when Brum was a recognisable neck of the cess-pit it’s now become. :cry:

Purely by chance I just heard Simon and Garfunkel’s Sound of Silence done by Disturbed . Just about blew my socks off , it’s a long time since I heard a voice with such power and purity . Stuck that straight in iTunes library .

rigsby:
Purely by chance I just heard Simon and Garfunkel’s Sound of Silence done by Disturbed . Just about blew my socks off , it’s a long time since I heard a voice with such power and purity . Stuck that straight in iTunes library .

I love that, the version he did on the Conan show is breathtaking.

newmercman:

rigsby:

Covers of S and G, especially just Vocal, is a bit like Marmite they are one of those acts which just can’t be done by anyone else if your ears are tuned to the originals.

The instrumental backings are an essential part of the records like Motown records need to have the wall of sound backing them.I also didn’t like most of Dianna Ross’ songs without that Motown backing such as Do You Know etc.

The Only Living Boy in New York and the original film version of Mrs Robinson, America, I am a Rock, Faking it in that order for me.Even the ‘usual’ Mrs Robinson just sounds wrong compared to the movie scene guitar backed version.

Normally I’d agree, covers are usually poor imitations of the original, but in this case no. The power and depth of the vocals makes for such a contrast from the original that you can’t compare the two, they’re that different and IMHO equally brilliant.

Speaking of covers and staying with Simon and Garfunkel, the time’s they are a changing, which version is best? Theirs or Dylan’s? Musically the dynamic duo win, but as a message, for want of a better description, Dylan wins hands down for me.

newmercman:
Speaking of covers and staying with Simon and Garfunkel, the time’s they are a changing, which version is best? Theirs or Dylan’s? Musically the dynamic duo win, but as a message, for want of a better description, Dylan wins hands down for me.

Yes S&G do a good job with Dylans original,Paul Simon wouldn’t stoop to anything lower than the bards (bd) masterpieces.That early album of theirs -Wednesday Morning 3am,has some very fine and quirky cuts-Sparrow,sun is burning,he was a friend of mine etc but Dylan reigns,i would venture,supreme in the lyrical stakes,less so,perhaps melodically although he was no slouch considering tunes such as-Shelter from the storm,if you see her say hello,stop-crying or Love minus zero.For me Bob was for the head and Paul…the soul.Both of em titans of their craft.

Iwould definitely include Joni Mitchell and Steven Stills in that stellar company,both master-musicians and then some, but my all time favourite tune is Mathew Southern Comforts version of Joni’s-Woodstock.Judy Collin’s working of JM’s-‘Both sides now’ ain’t too shabby either. :stuck_out_tongue: .That Laurel-Canyon scene spawned some serious musical wizardry that’s for sure.

Paul_11:

rearaxle:
In these difficult times , what music, albums do you truckers,drivers listen too any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

I know its an oldie, but Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours is one of my favourites out on the road.

Deffo one serious contender for rock-musics greatest album,not withstanding Christine- McVie’s rather…drippy ‘songbird;’ but when you have Stevi’s-‘Dreams’,‘Gold Dust Woman’ and ‘Lyndseys’-‘Never goin back’ and of course-‘The Chain’ providing Top-Cover musically,all is forgiven.I did hear Stevie-Nick’s other masterpiece -‘Landslide’ nearly made the cut but was saved for the follow up-‘Tusk’ album, a fairly patchy affair by their standards but how can Rumours ever be ‘followed’ up? They must have hit peak coke input by that point. :angry:

God bless Eddie-Van-Halens contribution to the planets cultural landscape.A wizard, a true star :sunglasses: Awesome band.

Carryfast:

newmercman:

rigsby:

Covers of S and G, especially just Vocal, is a bit like Marmite they are one of those acts which just can’t be done by anyone else if your ears are tuned to the originals.

The instrumental backings are an essential part of the records like Motown records need to have the wall of sound backing them.I also didn’t like most of Dianna Ross’ songs without that Motown backing such as Do You Know etc.

The Only Living Boy in New York and the original film version of Mrs Robinson, America, I am a Rock, Faking it in that order for me.Even the ‘usual’ Mrs Robinson just sounds wrong compared to the movie scene guitar backed version.

I reckon P- Simon created the most prolific number of genuine masterpieces of them all,yet familiarity breeding contempt type of thing,they can be neglected a little,but with the requient setting,hi-fi quality,mood and alterants :slight_smile: the magic rekindles once more-Scarborough-Fair,Dangling-conversation,Kathys-song and Frank-Lloyd-Wright being my faves.Saw them in 81 at Wembley on the reunion circuit,hardly a stadium act :smiley:
Wish i’d seen Van Halen,they could put on a show. R.I.P Fast-Eddie. :frowning:

manalishi:

Carryfast:

I reckon P- Simon created the most prolific number of genuine masterpieces of them all,yet familiarity breeding contempt type of thing,they can be neglected a little,but with the requient setting,hi-fi quality,mood and alterants :slight_smile: the magic rekindles once more-Scarborough-Fair,Dangling-conversation,Kathys-song and Frank-Lloyd-Wright being my faves.Saw them in 81 at Wembley on the reunion circuit,hardly a stadium act :smiley:
Wish i’d seen Van Halen,they could put on a show. R.I.P Fast-Eddie. :frowning:

Kathy’s Song, For Emily, and America were a similar trilogy of classic S and G records.

I’ll can remember Van Halen’s Why Can’t this Be Love being a frequent played part of the sound track on Northants 96 during my regular Dewsbury Run in the day.A great radio station as good as Capital Radio.

rigsby:

Yes, that version really adds the dark edge to the song that the original never did.

Hello darkness my old friend…

Music I play?

Either metal, or The Cure. Also 80’s stuff like Ann Clark, The Waterboys, or even The Smith’s. Another favourite is Credence Clearwater Revival. Will always have a soft spot for the Easy Rider soundtrack (flow river flow).