Motorsport driver required

Franglais:
I spoke with a couple of F1 team truck drivers a while ago. (Monaco, I had a tautliner with general stuff in). They off loaded then cleared off out of it. They said at some circuits where the team trucks stay nearby them have to get them all polished up, parked very neatly and even jack up the wheels to rotate them so tyre manufacturers name is on display. If that’s all only half true it sounds like a lot of corporate image bllx to me. I can see that it may be great for enthusiasts, but maybe not what you’d expect.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I heard similar, can take several hours to park the trucks all nice and neat, dead level etc, nothing allowed on the dashboards, any dirt washed off. Never heard about the tyre rotation though, a bit OTT in my opinion as the trucks are usually seen when the TV cameras pan across.

commonrail:
I know a couple of lads who did it for stobarts.
Sounded like a bit of a ■■■■ up,to me

For them it was, hence why stobart units are banned from sleeping inside over half the F1 used tracks in europe.

They’d be more at home at a services with there stobartski brethren.

Motorsport driving is not everyones cup of tea. Long days, hard graft, and lots of days polishing and cleaning. Although we havent jacked up trailers to turn the lettering round for a few years. They use to care about the trucks a lot more then they do now.

But being a “truckie” has sent me all over the world.

Concretejim:

commonrail:
I know a couple of lads who did it for stobarts.
Sounded like a bit of a ■■■■ up,to me

For them it was, hence why stobart units are banned from sleeping inside over half the F1 used tracks in europe.

They’d be more at home at a services with there stobartski brethren.

Motorsport driving is not everyones cup of tea. Long days, hard graft, and lots of days polishing and cleaning. Although we havent jacked up trailers to turn the lettering round for a few years. They use to care about the trucks a lot more then they do now.

But being a “truckie” has sent me all over the world.

I can’t see the Stobart lads being as bad as the Dunlop lads, they’re banned from most of the bag houses in Europe. :laughing: Tyre fitters seem to get a reputation for working hard and partying hard and they definitely live up to it. As for Stobarts, I met the original bunch and they didn’t seem too bad and I know some now have full time Motorsport jobs, but I think the recruitment might have gone downhill since then and a £125 per day is pathetic, so they might get what they deserve.

I think the tyre rotating thing might have come about from the tyre war days between Bridgestone and Michelin, I doubt many see much of the tyres on the trailers and I believe they’ve removed the tractor units for the last few years at F1.

The cleaning the trucks and setting up and breaking down of awnings and garages and the park ups are part of the job from the smallest club race to F1, I don’t think its too bad. You normally know the people organising the park up, as you deal with them week in week out, most are ok if you’re ok with them and unlike haulage the other truckies will watch you or move thier truck slightly to help you in, although that might be because they’ve seen my driving and don’t want their truck damaged :laughing:

The job isn’t as glamorous as what the racing fans think, and does have down sides, I’ve left a couple of times over the years and gone back to haulage work, it’s never long before I’m regretting my decision and looking for a way back.

I agree with Concretejim the job isn’t for everybody, I’ve been PM’d by a few people on here over the years asking for info about the job, I’ve tried to be as honest as I can and not make it sound like it’s all beer and grid girls. That’s only 90% of the job :laughing: and some have been honest and said its not for them, I totally respect that, but I would it again even with the bad bits.

Concretejim:
I shall re word. Contact stobarts i hear there doing motorsport contracts for free these days.

Suppose it stops them losing them all.

seem to remember stobarts saying some years ago that they would rather do a job for free rather than let an owner driver have the job,wonder if they still stick with that,would not surprise me