Motorsport driver required

I always thought the Formula One job sounded glamorous, driving nice shiny silver lhd trucks in exotic locations in Europe & beyond
on the F1 circuits… and I thought about applying, but I heard that at the end of the season you had to spend a few months
doing maintenance / warehouse work at the Biggin Hill headquarters and that put me off!

Does anyone know what the job is REALLY like? It can’t be all ‘Beer & Skittles’ :smiley:

Lennoxtown:
I always thought the Formula One job sounded glamorous, driving nice shiny silver lhd trucks in exotic locations in Europe & beyond
on the F1 circuits… and I thought about applying, but I heard that at the end of the season you had to spend a few months
doing maintenance / warehouse work at the Biggin Hill headquarters and that put me off!

Does anyone know what the job is REALLY like? It can’t be all ‘Beer & Skittles’ :smiley:

Working for the right team can be very rewarding especially if motorsport floats your boat.
My mate drove for a team a few years ago and earned a fortune.He was single then but reckons it was one of the best periods of his life.

Closed shop to most though.

Funny how everyone’s thinking F1 it could be motorbike and sidecar half the trl for bike and Wk shops the rest being sleeping etc

I worked for Ferrari for a season not long ago and it isn’t as great as some people think.
But if you try you never know.
I was taken on to drive the artic and I had never even driven a left ■■■■■■ in my life.
Glad I done it and it felt good to be driving that big red beauty with all the attention around Europe.

nick2008:
Funny how everyone’s thinking F1 it could be motorbike and sidecar half the trl for bike and Wk shops the rest being sleeping etc

Agreed there is a lot more to Motorsport than F1, even on the car side.

I doubt that the o.p. was real.

Uncle Albie:

OVLOV JAY:

Uncle Albie:
Does your team have a late entry or something because I think you will find all the teams will have had their drivers lined up long before now along with replacements if needed.
Also most teams would never advertise on an internet forum so unless you can provide more legitimate info I think you will be treated as a fraud.

They’re after a truck driver, not the next Lewis Hamilton :laughing:

Yes that’s correct but racing teams will not usually employ a regular driver especially from an internet forum.
These drivers are usually found within the racing world and are not your average joe bloggs.

Normally would be word of mouth or advertising on a Motorsport jobs website, but I got my first Motorsport job through an advert in the jobs section of the local paper and in 2004 I took a truck to Le Mans due to a post on this website.
Both times they were genuine race teams, they just found themselves of needing a truck driver at short notice.

mrginge:

Carryfast:

mikemccord72:
My dream job

The reality can be more along the lines of pit crew with an LGV licence to move the kit between venues in which the driving part of the job is way outweighed by labouring and other pit duties like tyre fitting etc.I don’t think I’d have traded my night trunking job and using the money to pay for road trips with the car to venues in Europe following the GT calender for example in that regard.

totaljobs.com/job/hgv-class … _MP3_LGT_4

This will be driving only and there is no opportunity to see any of the racing. Drivers will be flown out to the location, double man to the next location and be transported home.

Sounds like a dream job.

That’s not really your normal race team Motorsport job.
Carryfast is right about being part of the pit crew, in fact part of the team, now if like him, you’d rather go trunking then that’s fine.
But I can’t see what’s wrong with being part of the team, being on front jack during a pit stop gets the adrenalin flowing a bit. :laughing: then there is the comaradary, not just in your team but throughout the paddock. And being part of the competition is far better than just spectating. And yes plenty of graft and working in heat or cold or wet and long hours on your feet, but treated with far more respect then turning up at some RDC.

I think that I would be more concerned about whether I was being paid for the time I was back in the UK after being flown home between races. I would think also that this could so easily turn into one of those construction/road gang driver labourer jobs which see hours of labouring followed by hurry up get the lorry home/ to the next site quickly.

I would pay to to be part of an f1 pit crew. I’m a massive motor racing fan from superbikes to touring cars to f1. I would watch go karts racing lol

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

mikemccord72:
I would pay to to be part of an f1 pit crew. I’m a massive motor racing fan from superbikes to touring cars to f1. I would watch go karts racing lol

Well get in touch with the guy and make him an offer! You might not be numero uno with your colleagues though!

TiredAndEmotional:

mikemccord72:

Well get in touch with the guy and make him an offer! You might not be numero uno with your colleagues though!

When I say pay lol

I’m dead fast at racing n that,probably win all the trophies for you…make me an offer

muckles:
That’s not really your normal race team Motorsport job.
Carryfast is right about being part of the pit crew, in fact part of the team, now if like him, you’d rather go trunking then that’s fine.
But I can’t see what’s wrong with being part of the team, being on front jack during a pit stop gets the adrenalin flowing a bit. :laughing: then there is the comaradary, not just in your team but throughout the paddock. And being part of the competition is far better than just spectating. And yes plenty of graft and working in heat or cold or wet and long hours on your feet, but treated with far more respect then turning up at some RDC.

To be fair taking plenty of breaks from trunking for road trips to Euro GT venues like Enna or Monza with a quick car was/is never exactly boring. :smiley: :wink:

mikemccord72:

F1 pit stop crews are now trained like athletes and I doubt they’d ever take on somebody just because they paid them, although they do with drivers. :laughing:

However loads of race teams have volunteers helping them at weekends, normally referred to as weekend warriors. What you do really depends on what you can do, might end up as part of a pit stop crew for a GT or Le Mans team, not quite the same as an F1 pit stop as there is fuelling and driver changes, so not the 2 second blast, but still gets the adrenalin pumping.

As a slightly fat trucker in my 40s I think I would be a perfect fit into an f1 pit crew, so long as my back held out and I didn’t drop the wheel because my carpal tunnel was playing up. I would look awesome in my tight fitting fire proof suit lol

The owner of where I work has a British Super Bike team and the closest I have got so far is picking up one of the trailers from a bodyshop and picking up another driver from Donnington after he parked the lorry up. All he does is get the lorry to the track and help unload before travelling back in a work van or sometimes he puts his bike in the trailer as well to ride home.

The only overnight he does is Knockhill and the next morning he gets a flight back down south. Then on a race weekend he will travel up Sunday afternoon to bring the lorry back so he can use the unit the next day for ‘normal’ work.

The time when they ask me to do it one weekend I would do it just for the crack but I don’t think I would want to do the whole season.

I spoke with a couple of F1 team truck drivers a while ago. (Monaco, I had a tautliner with general stuff in). They off loaded then cleared off out of it. They said at some circuits where the team trucks stay nearby them have to get them all polished up, parked very neatly and even jack up the wheels to rotate them so tyre manufacturers name is on display. If that’s all only half true it sounds like a lot of corporate image bllx to me. I can see that it may be great for enthusiasts, but maybe not what you’d expect.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

rs28967:
We are looking for a driver to drive our motorsport artic from UK to a number of rounds in Europe during the 2017 season. (April to October)

Ideally motorsport knowledge would be good but not essential.

If interested drop me a message.

thanks,
Rich.

Shame I like my home life too much, as I have done amateur motorsport myself as a rally co driver, and autograss racer and until last year, had a road rally car.

Ken.

I know a couple of lads who did it for stobarts.
Sounded like a bit of a ■■■■ up,to me