Most disappointing truck you've driven

blue estate:

xichrisxi:
Daf auto,if you know you know…

you mean the 2 week written request to pull out of a junction or just get going

Sounds just like an ERF with the Eaton SAMT 'box!

Steve

On a Volvo look at the arrows either side of the current gear, it tells you how many you can currently select up or down whilst in auto, no need to shift into Manual or lift off the accelerator, just click it up or down by how many you want that are available

had to drive a new daf cf 16plate other week as my 10plate scania was on mot.oh my god it was awful no space at all even worse when u got top bunk fitted gear box pain in arse so much plastic all the new tech had to swich it off.would not pull a skin of rise pudding even when u knock eco mode off it still did not pull with a 26 ton steel section on back.glad to get mine back i leave one side bed pulled out and u can turn stand straight up unlike cf u have to climb to get up then its tight to get dressed in morning

Merc enough said. Nothing else comes close to how awful they are to drive. I’ll take any annoyances of other trucks that don’t give me bad back and shoulder.

Sent from my AGS-W09 using Tapatalk

thunder367:
had to drive a new daf cf 16plate other week as my 10plate scania was on mot.oh my god it was awful no space at all even worse when u got top bunk fitted gear box pain in arse so much plastic all the new tech had to swich it off.would not pull a skin of rise pudding even when u knock eco mode off it still did not pull with a 26 ton steel section on back.glad to get mine back i leave one side bed pulled out and u can turn stand straight up unlike cf u have to climb to get up then its tight to get dressed in morning

Everything you say…I agree with.
Although they are tough as thuck
Mines a 60 plate though…no gadgets,and been hammered for 850k

And it’s only a 410

Mercedes Atego 7.5 tonner (66-plate): Auto gearbox works in geological time, the ride is shocking (feels like you’re driving on the surface of the moon) and the driver’s seat feels more like a church pew, especially when driving from Washington to Edinburgh and back! They also have a 13-plate (old shape) Atego with a manual, which is in my opinion, a million times better.

All variants of the Iveco Eurocargo with their Ferrero Roche box dashboards and beeping indicators.

I’ve yet to drive one of them Mitsubishi or Isuzu vehicles. I’ve heard on this forum that they are also god awful.

Iveco build quality and electrics let it down but decent cab and spec on hi-way tractor with the twin steer make a decent ride,Actros ride is awful but like space In cab,Don’t like scanias and Daf cf and xf can never get seat right…

Ford Cargo 2817 brand new in 1988 on an ‘E’ reg. Company said it was going to be a vast improvement over the old p.o.s i had at the time which was another cargo but a 2517. this new one had the same cr5p Perkins V8 (anyone driven one will know) that wont pull the skin off a rice pudding only instead of the 6 speed box had a range change 8 speed! The extra 2 gears was the supposed ‘vast improvement’ :stuck_out_tongue:
Will always remember a boot licking driver working there (toe nails) who had a 2820 (10.6litre Perkins V8) which had a nice rumble to it but had the same rice puddingesque pulling power. Standing on the step looking inside he spits out ‘no good you getting images of grandeur’…i just PMSL… :grimacing:

The very worst was a toss up between a 14litre ■■■■■■■ powered A series ERF which was completely fubar’d and a Ford D series 2817 with yes…the same fu(zb)ckin Perkins V8. Anyone asking what it was like working there the advice was run…run away now… :arrow_right: :arrow_right: :arrow_right: :arrow_right: :arrow_right:

EDIT- on the same level was another D series, this time a fridgid (completely bolloxed as per) this time a 1614 fitted with another rice pud asthmatic clockwork engine. Had a two speed axle which was jammed in low ratio…need i say more…

I’ve driven some REAL crap in the ‘old days’ and you tend to forget how bad they were, crash boxes, no pas, no night heaters, and shock horror no…wait for it…sat navs. :open_mouth: …yeh really!
:laughing:
In comparison there aint any '‘bad’ modern trucks today, but if I were to name one that comes close, after driving nearly every type of European unit on the market, it has to be the Merc Actros :smiling_imp: .
Bad driving position, uncomfortable, sat up in the seat far too high and straight, ■■■■ deplorable ride, (spilling yer mobile coffee :blush: :smiley: ) and don’t get me started on those ridiculous side lockers that Stretch ■■■■ Armstrong would have difficulty in getting his straps out from. :unamused:

E reg seddon atkinson 17t rigid
Gutless as can be and had the turning circle of a battleship
Every time you hit a bump all the dash gauges used to jump about and the driving position was crap.
Seem to remember the seat was low and the pedals were high!!
God awful thing.
Needed a shunt to get round a roundabout.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

mat79:
E reg seddon atkinson 17t rigid
Gutless as can be and had the turning circle of a battleship
Every time you hit a bump all the dash gauges used to jump about and the driving position was crap.
Seem to remember the seat was low and the pedals were high!!
God awful thing.
Needed a shunt to get round a roundabout.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Just reminded me of an E reg ERF rigid I used to work on. Could be 15 minutes getting it into the workshop, it had a similar steering lock. The driver used to be in central London every day with it and never complained about it :open_mouth:

Luxury compared to your Atki though, they were truly awful things.

Back in the day it would be Scania 111, very reliable truck, go well but shake every bone in your body and if you used fifth gear, by the end of the day you would end up with Scania elbow. When we got some mercs (fleet spec) actros thought the looked nice, roomy and well laid out but when I drove one I was most disappointed of any truck I have ever driven.

Scania P cab terrible ride.

I drive all makes and in my humble opinion the only truck that you get in and drive off in full confidence is a Volvo. No matter what age.

They do what it says on the box.

SCANIA next unless it’s one of those three legged auto crud heaps.

DAF cabs are nice layout but gearbox woeful.

MAN. No redeeming features

MERC like driving on springs. Truly uncomfortable.

IVECO. Owners are either skint or hate their drivers.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

1978 B Series ERF. 240 Gardner.

Heater under the seat that blew on the back of your legs, so your body was froze while your legs burnt, 8 speed Fuller box, all of them slow.

Ran mostly at 32 tonne but also ran at 38 occasionally. 240 bhp at 38 tonne…

stevieboy308:
On a Volvo look at the arrows either side of the current gear, it tells you how many you can currently select up or down whilst in auto, no need to shift into Manual or lift off the accelerator, just click it up or down by how many you want that are available

I’ve had 2 FH4s now and on both I’ve had to lift off the accelerator to change manually in auto. I wonder if it’s because mine has the power button and kick down disabled. I got my last one activated by volvo just before I got my new one but haven’t bothered having this one activated yet because I kept forgetting to use it once I had it activated last time. I’ve got used to changing down manually when I need to.

Sorry but there is only one contender for crap lorry award and that goes to a Hino. End of conversation.

msgyorkie:
Sorry but there is only one contender for crap lorry award and that goes to a Hino. End of conversation.

No, we were talking about lorries! [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Anything with Scania on the front. Driver not considered at all in the ergonomics of the cab