Most Disappointing Lorry

What lorry/lorries have you driven that although may not be a heap of excrement, but did not live up to expectations?
I’ll nominate a MAN TGS 8wheeler with auto 'box. Apart from being great off road, the 'box changed illogically, had a thirsty engine and was painfully slow for a 400. Did have fantastic brakes and wonderfully light steering though.

ERF ‘B’ 180 Gardner :cry: had to swap my SedAtki 400 for a desperate slug of a motor :imp: had enough of it by the time i’d got it back to the yard
back in the '80’s though of course

carryfast-yeti:
ERF ‘B’ 180 Gardner :cry: had to swap my SedAtki 400 for a desperate slug of a motor :imp: had enough of it by the time i’d got it back to the yard

Not last week then :wink: :wink: :smiley:

Scania 4 series Topline, it wasn’t that it was a bad motor, but after years of hearing how Scania’s were the greatest things ever to have run on wheels and years of driving some right old dogs, when I finally got to drive one I wondered what the fuss was about. :confused:

DAF 3300.

Went like the clappers but the gearbox was crap.
The lever was like a stick in a bowl of porridge.
Great truck though.

tango boy:

carryfast-yeti:

Not last week then :wink: :wink: :smiley:

:laughing: more upto date,and even more disappointing,an 08 plate Scanny V8,dreadful motor,a real let down of a slug :frowning: i asked for my W reg Scanny back

Any Iveco had one on hire over Xmas just awful compared to my Mercedes

I’m always disappointed by Scanias, they’re ok but not as great as their reputation would have you believe. I’m not disappointed by Ivecos because I expect them to be crap and they are, without exception.

Muckaway:
What lorry/lorries have you driven that although may not be a heap of excrement, but did not live up to expectations?
I’ll nominate a MAN TGS 8wheeler with auto 'box. Apart from being great off road, the 'box changed illogically, had a thirsty engine and was painfully slow for a 400. Did have fantastic brakes and wonderfully light steering though.

Can see where you are coming from re the MAN.
Did a couple of weekend runs in a 440 a while back and i"ll swear the 320 i drove in the early 90s doing Itie pulled better.

Has to be a DAF CF. Couldn’t get it to stay on the limiter and felt like I was sat on the floor.

Had a breakdown and got to use a Volvo FH for a few weeks. Most underwhelming piece of kit I’ve ever used.
I’ve never listened to the Scania/Volvo hype so it wasn’t disappointment.

In defence of the MAN, its not the motor itself its that Godawful heap of crap that fits between the engine and the propshaft, that bloody AS Chronic gearbox ruins everything its fitted to.

Worse motor ever was an FL7 lorry and drag car transporter, Gutless doesn’t even begin to describe.

Ok I know it’s not meant to go like the the clappers but my 230 scania is an embarrassment. I love the truck it looks smart the inside feels very well put together but I dunno if it’s the gearing or the lack of horses but it struggles on a hill with any amount of weight on the back. The man f2000 280 I had didnt look as pretty wasn’t new and shinny but pulled like a train, superb gearbox drove in a perfectly straight line no pulling and although wasn’t as comfortable to drive as my scania it felt like a much more able truck going down the road.

Anything British, haha, also a DAF2500 on 38 tonne bulk work, oh and it’s stable mate, a DAF2100 8 legger bulker day cabbed with a fold down bunk, which you got when ya 2500 was in for test or service.

First time I took a White Road Commander to Porto. Horrific suspension!

muckles:
Scania 4 series Topline, it wasn’t that it was a bad motor, but after years of hearing how Scania’s were the greatest things ever to have run on wheels and years of driving some right old dogs, when I finally got to drive one I wondered what the fuss was about. :confused:

Couldn’t agree more… For me though would have to be a Man…

carryfast-yeti:

With a David Brown full crash box?
They sorted out the drivers from the steerers :wink: , non of your poncey Autoboxes or even Synchros in them days, a modern driver today that had never even seen, let alone used one would not be able to get out of neutral :laughing:
The days when you had to actually develop SKILLS to drive a truck :sunglasses: unlike today where you could teach a chimp. :unamused:

And in a lot of cases today …They already HAVE :laughing:

I have to say that I drove a sister truck to my DAF 105 a few weeks back, and as it was an 11 plate, in relation to my 12 plate, I didnt think it would differ too much. Oh boy so wrong was I. It was gutless up Keele hill, and didnt fair much better on the level. I was totally gobsmacked when I got to Sugarich in Liverpool and weighed in at 38860kg !!

I fancied the fl10 until I had a day on one !

Anything with a twin splitter