Truck Test - Truck & Driver

Just got this months T&D magazine and to my surprise the Merc Actros is the CLEAR winner ( how bad are the other three ? ) in the 500 point cab test .
We have on our fleet the new Actros , 4x2s and 6x2s , tall cab and low cab , basic distribution tractors. Having driven the old shape Merc and Volvo FM/FH , I was expecting good things from the new Actros but , no for a new truck design to have so many faults is hopeless. The interior sunvisor is a pig to pull down because there are no cut outs for your fingers , the curtain rail is in the way, the hinges are in the wrong place and when you do get it down there’s a great bloody gap between that and the door pillar … and its far too short…chocolate fireguard anybody ?. When coupling up access is limited because the side panel doesn’t pull clear enough to get to the airlines and suzies , and the steering is too heavy , sometimes needing the driving school method when reversing.
Driving up the A68 a few weeks ago the section between Tow Law and Corbridge was a nightmare due to the bad road surface , the suspension is far too harsh and going ten rounds with Mike Tyson would’ve be easier.
I now carry a book to read whilst waiting at junctions / round-abouts waiting for the truck to decide which gear it wants …sometimes it throws a complete wobbler and refuses to give me any …at least give me a chance to finish the page !!! .
The truck does have some good features , the night heater is easy to use and there is a little more room around the footwell , but the faults I found within a few days should not be there .
This is a new truck and for Mercedes to win and the others to lose against lazy design means truck builders are still not living in the real world … they’re still not listening to the people who have to drive them .

These tests are done in a wishy washy way so they don’t offend the manufacturers who then withdraw advertising revenue. They never slate a manufacturer, even Hino get treated gently. :laughing: T and D has got a lot better, I bought the issue in question, but still a fair bit I’ve ignored though, like the Dutch construction firm.

I must admit I found the comparison test by Intake Transport on the Scania and MAN units in this months Truck and Driver very interesting , both have manual gearboxes is this the start of a trend back to a simpler truck or was it because they run some heavy loads , I would like others opinions and ideas .

I thought that truck test was interesting too. The readers photo pages are better than the kids squiggles, I don’t believe people really write in with insurance questions however, seems like a discreet advert.
They still sneaked a van review in there (why?) but I didn’t notice an album review from a country and western band we’ve never heard of though.

As someone who was brought up on and was lucky enough to do the proper TRUCK test matches I think these rip offs from Trucking International style tests are crap.

Pat Kennett will be turning in his grave…

newmercman:
As someone who was brought up on and was lucky enough to do the proper TRUCK test matches I think these rip offs from Trucking International style tests are crap.

Amen to that, brother :unamused:

Craig 111:

newmercman:

Amen to that, brother :unamused:

Most of the Trucking ones give you a bloody history lesson. I remember a MAN v Scania 8wheeler test at Keyway. Most of it lectured you about how Britiah 8wheelers were so much lighter. Never mentioned the crap MAN auto 'box.