Mixers

drewster:

mixer driver too:
New mixer in South Wales for Tarmac

i notice the drums all white,no green and yellow :question:

Ready for the new Joint Venture branding or the branding of the divested site (Hope).

Steven

Yep, drum all white, same as mine and a few others. This truck is going Hope. Even the new JV trucks are painted the same.

Spotted this mixer working in Boston USA city centre earlier this year. Sorry about the quality

photo0100.jpg

hanson

leinthall

a couple of revamped fodens

Sniffy:
A few premix photos, not very good as I had to scan the negatives

my dad had one of these leylands when he worked as an owner driver in the 70s from Houghton quarry , it was a super mastiff with a perkind v8 ? nice sound but crap engine , i was 12 yrs old , and it was was brand new in 76 , it had 2 head gaskets in first yr , and a new engine after 18months ,
he also had what my dad called a R E 29 six wheeler leyland mixer but that was before ARC took over , cant remember the name of previous company but there head office was in ■■■■■■■ , and the trucks were cream coulored , any pix out there from houghton quarry the super mastiff was PAO412R

Duncan

Houghton quarry was owned by Harrison Lime from Flusco near Penrith. The Harrison family also owned at least one of the farms around the quarry perimeter.

IIRC RE29 was the designation for the Albion six wheel chassis / cab.

Cheers Tyneside

tyneside:
Duncan

Houghton quarry was owned by Harrison Lime from Flusco near Penrith. The Harrison family also owned at least one of the farms around the quarry perimeter.

IIRC RE29 was the designation for the Albion six wheel chassis / cab.

Cheers Tyneside

thanks for the info tyneside cheerrs

kevmac47:
Heres my mixers from the mid nineties, i’m still traumatised from the “iveco experience”. kevmac4721 :0

dont think the construcktor i had was much better kev 3 years it was beat

woolyback:

kevmac47:
Heres my mixers from the mid nineties, i’m still traumatised from the “iveco experience”. kevmac4721 :0

dont think the construcktor i had was much better kev 3 years it was beat

I hated that job with a passion Brian, I was talking to Davey a couple of weeks ago, I see he is still working for you. Hope your dad is keeping well? give him my regards and good wishes for the New Year. Kevmac47.

This was in Crewe about 4-5 years ago… I think he got the wrong idea when they said “tip it here drive”

duncan bladen:

Sniffy:
A few premix photos, not very good as I had to scan the negatives

Those pics remind me of my old friend the late John Holgate, he worked out of Houghton for a number of years. Regards Kevmac47.
my dad had one of these leylands when he worked as an owner driver in the 70s from Houghton quarry , it was a super mastiff with a perkind v8 ? nice sound but crap engine , i was 12 yrs old , and it was was brand new in 76 , it had 2 head gaskets in first yr , and a new engine after 18months ,
he also had what my dad called a R E 29 six wheeler leyland mixer but that was before ARC took over , cant remember the name of previous company but there head office was in ■■■■■■■ , and the trucks were cream coulored , any pix out there from houghton quarry the super mastiff was PAO412R

Was it Eden Rock ■■?, Regards Larry.

i was only about 11 or twelve , but i seem to remember that the head office was in carlisle area , could have been edenhall ready mix concrete ? , got taken over by ARC [amey ?]

found these while clearing out dads house , following his passing away last july , anyhow heres a couple

just looking through at the mixers does anybody out there remember douglas concrete of Aldridge, or have any pictures of there red Leyland bisons,or know what happened to them,they replaced the Leyland letters on the front with the name douglas.

Hi, All

For those following this mixer thread ,have you seen the article in Heritage Commercial about the start of the Ready Mix industry?
It’s quite interesting.

Cheers Bassman

ergomatic man:
just looking through at the mixers does anybody out there remember douglas concrete of Aldridge, or have any pictures of there red Leyland bisons,or know what happened to them,they replaced the Leyland letters on the front with the name douglas.

Hi Ergo Man, Douglas was taken over by Aggregate Industries and are now part of the stable that included Hartigans.

Good luck to the mixer boys, why shouldn’t they have nice kit to ride round in, but when you look at the mixers of yesteryear, tools to do the job & that’s your lot, the stuff they got nowadays are outrageous :laughing: , some of them wouldn’t look out of place crossing the Alps!!!