Pioneer Concrete Mixers

Does anyone remember Pioneer Concete Mixers? I remember them about in the mid '70’s, I think they ran Fodens with bright green cabs and the concrete drums were white, I recall Foden’s had an ad on the front of Commercial Motor showing a Pioneer mixer in August 1973 which is the first time I had heard of them, I was a school kid on a week’s hol in Southport and pestered my folks to buy me the CM - 'cos of the piccy on the front. Unlike Bubb’s CM’s, mine were chucked in the bin in a mad cleanup at home. :cry:

[

Heres the very picture from that 1973 Commercial Motor,Rob. :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers Marc. :wink:

Here are a few varied ones I’ve found.

bubbleman:
Heres the very picture from that 1973 Commercial Motor,Rob. :laughing: :laughing:
Cheers Marc. :wink:

Hey! Cheers Marc, it’s great to see the very same piccy 36 years on, I can’t believe it was that long ago - August, 1973, a bit too scary, mind you, I was still a lad at school then though, a mate’s dad used to let me look at his CM’s (and we self educated ourselves with his stack of PB’s stashed at the back of his wardrobe, when he was down the pub!! :smiley:) I think the CM with the Pioneer Foden on the front was about one of the first I bought, from W H Smith’s in Southport, I had to have a sub on me pocket money for it, I’d better not mention it to me ol’ man now 'cos he’ll want it back and just imagine the interest !!! :slight_smile: Cheers again - Rob

TIPIT:
Here are a few varied ones I’ve found.

Cheers Tippit, some great pics there. Do you know where they were based, I have a feeling there was a depot localish to me at Ellesmere Port? Although I’m not totally sure - Regards - Rob.

All I know is the GUY was in Stoke, and the Yank somewhere in Australia.
I remember hearing a story back in the late 70’s of a driver somewhere, that had gone inside a barrel with an hose and brush to clean it out a bit. For some reason he had the wagon running, pulled the hose and caught it on the levers causing the barrel to turn with him still inside. Don’t know how long he was shouting before he was found though, perhaps someone on here can tell us more. Cheers Paul.
Hey I’ve only just noticed, is that a bird driving that Merc ?

On the subject of mixers.Years ago, some firms ran half cab Fodens with mixer bodies . . what was the advantage of using a half cab ?

That’s something I’ve always wondered, can’t imagine the tare would be much improved. ?

In 1967/70Yorkshire Hennebique Concrete,Royds lane Leeds121 ran Foden 8wheelers.No power steering,2 gear levers ,one for range change.We used to load 8or 9 cu yds of ready mix,weighing out at 34tons!!!2 stroke engines,and very often duff batteries,run down slope to start in the morning,don’t switch off til end of shift. There was a teeside firm,think it was Robinsons,ran half cab Fodens on London trunk.They came with special shaped overnight cases to fit behind the seat.

Suedehead:
On the subject of mixers.Years ago, some firms ran half cab Fodens with mixer bodies . . what was the advantage of using a half cab ?

Hi Suedehead, the half-cab configuration was used mainly for quarry dump trucks where there was no real need for a passenger compartment and it also gave fitters easier access to the engine before tilt cabs were introduced. As you say, they were also used in other applications for concrete mixers, also for tippers and tractor units on general haulage (as mentioned in Welshphil’s posting above), where the half-cab was a cheaper option to the full width cab, it also prevented passengers being carried.

Pioneer were an Australian company now they are part of Hanson.

Cheers George, I’ve often wonded where their roots were.

georgeking:
Pioneer were an Australian company now they are part of Hanson.

I know that two of my brothers-in-law in Scotland were on for Pioneer [back in the 70’s] & they owned the truck but rented the “drum” – this I believe was normal practice… It also meant if there was a problem between driver & Pioneer the “drum” could be removed, contract terminated and the driver left with a truck & chassis only !!

The old boy was a O/D with pioneer for years he had a 2 stroke s21 5meter drum "wingate"6 wheeler foden "“think the reg no was something like NYG 867E”, pioneer fleet number 234, then he had a leyland reiver 6meter drum "thompson"6 wheeler fleet number 7005, both was based in bradford mainly,sorry no pics,he packed it in very early 80"s and went to saudi to work on a concrete plant,
trumix used a lot of half cab fodens in bradford in the mid 70"s :wink:

Hello,found this cutting in the scrapbox…a Dennis seems a strange choice for a mixer,note PICON on the side…short for Pioneer concrete I suppose. :laughing:

Cheers Bubbs. :wink:

rapidgem:

Suedehead:

Hi Suedehead, the half-cab configuration was used mainly for quarry dump trucks where there was no real need for a passenger compartment and it also gave fitters easier access to the engine before tilt cabs were introduced. As you say, they were also used in other applications for concrete mixers, also for tippers and tractor units on general haulage (as mentioned in Welshphil’s posting above), where the half-cab was a cheaper option to the full width cab, it also prevented passengers being carried.

Hi again Suedehead, Thanks to our mate Bubbs once more, here’s one from his Scrapbook Memories illustrating the half-cab concept:-

The old Pioneer was a cracking job. Made a lot of dosh on there for a couple of years. I remember on a big power station job we use to drive in, get the ticket signed by the big irish foreman turn the drum off until we got out of the gate and then take it down to a farm where the irish foreman had a couple of blokes laying it.

Hello,another one from me. :laughing:

Cheers Bubbs. :wink: