Mixers

Muckaway:

drewster:
LAFARGE HAVE BOUGHT 12 OF THESE DAFS ,I DONT KNOW IF THERE GOING TO BE COMPANY TRUCKS OR PASSED ON TO ODS :question:

With the increasing tare weights, getting 8m3 on an 8w will be a thing of the past soon.Do the firms still own the drums, ODs own the truck?

the dafs seem to be the most popular mixer chassis about muckaway,i should think they can carry 8m no problem.the majors are starting to get very strict now about sustainability and the carbon footprint.they want 8w tippers to carry 20 ton & 8w mixers 8m3 . :question:

you dont see many of these renaults over here for some reason which i think is strange cos they are cheap,light and make great construction vehicles .you go over the channel and they are everywhere ,just look at the ground clearence on these which his essential on mixer work :question:

I was talking to an OD from Cemex just before Christmas, he’s got a 360 (11 litre I think to save weight) in his 8w Daf but he can only carry 7.5 m3 of the wettest slump. Cemex are looking MAN 6ws now with the small cab and 6.7 litre engine to keep tare weight down. That Renault mixer looks a good site wagon, is it a Lander or a Kerax? The Kerax being the heavy duty version, tough but heavy.

How much with this lot on.

A big job in Finland

Two taken from the aggregate silo at Smiths Concrete, Cassington;

No, the technician is not doing what it looks like :laughing:

Only the Foden is a Cassington based truck, the Dafs coming in from Banbury and Blackthorn (Bicester) plants.

truckfing:
How much with this lot on.

I would say a 6m3 drum as normally put on 6wheelers. I bet anything higher than 50 slump would be overweight at that.

Muckaway:

No, the technician is not doing what it looks like :laughing:

Only the Foden is a Cassington based truck, the Dafs coming in from Banbury and Blackthorn (Bicester) plants.

that dafs got a small water tank on it ,bet the customers love that when they want to ■■■■ it up :question:

i delivered the stone to Redland’s readymix plant at Enderby,Leics.for 14 years,didn’t think to take any photo’s of the lads mixers though :frowning: had to deliver a couple of loads of concrete on my tipper when we were marred out with work,that really pleased the lads on site :laughing:

drewster:

Muckaway:

that dafs got a small water tank on it ,bet the customers love that when they want to ■■■■ it up :question:

They’ve had to fit them that small to get 8m3 on legally with wet loads. The old Foden 3000s they had, I remember one had a 7m3 drum on with 250 litre water tank. 7m3 of dry mixes would go legally aswell.

Muckaway:

drewster:

Muckaway:

They’ve had to fit them that small to get 8m3 on legally with wet loads. The old Foden 3000s they had, I remember one had a 7m3 drum on with 250 litre water tank. 7m3 of dry mixes would go legally aswell.

hi muckaway them smiths trucks look tidy ,are they company or ods.ive seen them around rugby quite a lot and they look like they are well maintained :question:

Smiths Concretes’ are all company owned Drewster. They’ve got plants at Banbury (Head office), Bubbenhall (concrete, mortar and quarry although quarry is almost exhausted), Warwick (ex Pioneer), Atherstone on Stour (Stratford, nextdoor to where those 4 firemen died at that fruit packing depot), Cassington (Oxford plant) and Blackthorn (Bicester). The previous batcher at Blackthorn, the late Malcolm “Goosey” Robbins was into railways and and as Blackthorn is on the site of the old station used to have pictures up everywhere of it in the days of steam. He used to have a garden at the plant in true railwaymen style growing fruit and veg until the Health and Safety Police stopped him :unamused: His lawnmower was a nanny goat called “Mountfield” who was tethered on a system of ropes and pulleys so all the grass got cut evenly. Dads’ regular job is running aggregates into Blackthorn and would tease the goat by standing where the rope stopped and waving cakes and biscuits at her…until one day Goosey lengthened the goats’ rope and Dad came flying through the batch cabin door about a foot infront of an angry goat :laughing: :laughing:

Muckaway:
Smiths Concretes’ are all company owned Drewster. They’ve got plants at Banbury (Head office), Bubbenhall (concrete, mortar and quarry although quarry is almost exhausted), Warwick (ex Pioneer), Atherstone on Stour (Stratford, nextdoor to where those 4 firemen died at that fruit packing depot), Cassington (Oxford plant) and Blackthorn (Bicester). The previous batcher at Blackthorn, the late Malcolm “Goosey” Robbins was into railways and and as Blackthorn is on the site of the old station used to have pictures up everywhere of it in the days of steam. He used to have a garden at the plant in true railwaymen style growing fruit and veg until the Health and Safety Police stopped him :unamused: His lawnmower was a nanny goat called “Mountfield” who was tethered on a system of ropes and pulleys so all the grass got cut evenly. Dads’ regular job is running aggregates into Blackthorn and would tease the goat by standing where the rope stopped and waving cakes and biscuits at her…until one day Goosey lengthened the goats’ rope and Dad came flying through the batch cabin door about a foot infront of an angry goat :laughing: :laughing:

great story about the goat muckaway ,somebody told me once that smiths are half owned by hanson,dont know if its true or not :question:

drewster:
somebody told me once that smiths are half owned by hanson,dont know if its true or not :question:

Smiths Concrete are 49% Hanson, 51% Smith and Sons. It was started by John Smith and Ron Amey. The concrete tickets are Hanson format, as are the rule books etc :unamused: I think the land and lorries are Smiths. The aggregate supply is shared, Bubbenhall provides it’s own plus Stratford and Warwick. We do haulage to Stratford (artic based there) I think Bartletts’ do Warwick. Smiths supply Banbury with Sand (so do Bubbenhall) and shingle with limestone coming from Hanson. Blackthorn uses our sand and shingle (except pea shingle which is Bubbenhalls’) plus Hanson limestone and we do sand and shingle for Cassington (they aren’t allowed to use limestone there for some reason) due to it being built on an old Smiths gravel pit. All very political :laughing:

loading at leaton

Muckaway:
I don’t know why artic mixers aren’t used over here? I know they’d be restricted to certain sites but with a sleeper cab fitted, I bet someone could find work with one?

Browsing back through this thread brought back memories of artic mixers.many were supplied by Stothert and Pitt to Hobbs Quarries Bristol and i came across an operator in Scotland who used them as well but he utilised the tractor units with tipping trailers (with its own donkey engine ) to good effect to meet demands of each product !

toshboy:

Muckaway:
I don’t know why artic mixers aren’t used over here? I know they’d be restricted to certain sites but with a sleeper cab fitted, I bet someone could find work with one?

Browsing back through this thread brought back memories of artic mixers.many were supplied by Stothert and Pitt to Hobbs Quarries Bristol and i came across an operator in Scotland who used them as well but he utilised the tractor units with tipping trailers (with its own donkey engine ) to good effect to meet demands of each product !

You’ve reminded me Toshboy; I saw a Scania artic mixer on the M25 roadworks back in December; BP Mitchell. Red with yellow writing.

Found this on the internet, think it’s in Russia

I was an owner driver based at billing in the late eighties early ninety’s also mobile plant oak hill prison Milton Keynes
and Shrewsbury by pass

the wife drove this tipper out of Milton Keynes on black top

Sheer class from the 1960’s, Foden S21 mixer truck of RMC, on London Bridge…

-5 this morning at Cassington…which is why I’m parked on the aggregate silo…

… the cold didn’t do the valve any good.