Milk Shortage

If you have no issues getting the Milk into the dairy with drivers employed by Arla on a cushy steady number … and you are having issues getting milk out of the dairy by drivers employed by subcontractors that can no longer avoid tax in the way they did and was the only perk of what is a ■■■■ job, 16 drops from the tail lift by the kerbside to little shops.

Wtf do you actually expect?

bbc.co.uk/news/business-58012884.amp

Haha! I said early today in another thread that it wouldn’t be long until the milk shortage hysteria started in the MSM. :smiley:

“Mr Amirahmadi said the government could help the industry by accelerating the programme of driving tests for new HGV drivers, as well as by issuing temporary visas for the road haulage industry, so that more European drivers could be allowed into the country.

Sorry Mr Whatever-your-name-is, but they are just not coming back. They’re not interested. If they want to work abroad they can work in Germany where wages are higher and rent is cheaper. Or they can just stay in Poland where pay is almost at parity and housing costs cheaper still.

You’re just going to have to put the money up, Old Fruit. :wink: :wink:

Therein lies the problem. Tax evasion is a crime, tax avoidance isn’t. But how you go about tax avoidance has always been a murky area.

We have to pay tax, it funds most of the vital services we all need and require from time to time or on a daily basis.

However there also comes morality into the equation.

People who avoid tax want all the same rights as those who pay tax fairly yet don’t contribute as much to the services that tax goes to pay for, that we all use whether paying our fair share of tax or avoiding our fair share of tax.

It really is time tax avoidance apart from genuine schemes like an ISA for example was shut down.

Whether than is the common person or the mighty rich everyone should be on a level playing field.

And the tide has changed recently regarding sham tax avoidance schemes like umbrella schemes et al.

But in the same vain jobs that people should earn more money for should pay a higher wage than they do.

So it’s all a catch 22 situation.

I spent many hours at Arla stourton waiting for loads ( I’m not complaining ) as breakfasts were ok , maybe the bloke could look at getting the lorries loaded and out the gate a bit faster then they wouldn’t need so many drivers / lorries
Nb few years ago so maybe loading is quicker now
Been in supermarkets in Grantham This wee& everything we needed ( including milk ) was in plentiful supply , plenty of price reductions / discounts which doesn’t point to product shortages

The Pound has yet to recover to pre-brexit levels.
That means that Johnny Foreigner is “sending less back to the wife” than before Brexit. The Euro is still expensive.

During this period, Eastern Europe has had a rather muted economic recovery of it’s own that now means returning Ex-Pats - now have jobs to go to where everyone around them speaks their language - that simply were not there before…

I’d have to argue that Brexit has done it’s full-circle job now.

Higher wages for actual working class Brits - was the very heart of what Brexit was all about, weather sold to us on that basis, or believed of it as an alternative ideaology from the “racing to the bottom” over-production and under-paid working classes all over Europe.

It is high time that we had things like “Headhunting” within the working class sectors - isn’t it?

Arla Stourton…

Agency driver pulls the diesel pump over.

Following shift, same agency driver misses pin.

Following week, same agency driver drops 4 off the back.

They finally told the agency not to send him any more.

^^^ value dear boy, think of all the money they saved by not offering proper wages for full timers they can cherry pick from.

yourhavingalarf:
Arla Stourton…

Agency driver pulls the diesel pump over.

Following shift, same agency driver misses pin.

Following week, same agency driver drops 4 off the back.

They finally told the agency not to send him any more.

He can’t have had a stand-up argument with an acting manager - to have lasted that long eh? :stuck_out_tongue:

Juddian:
^^^ value dear boy, think of all the money they saved by not offering proper wages for full timers they can cherry pick from.

The original employed Arla drivers, were on good money at the time, and cherry picked a lot their own work. They got ■■■■■■ off when they got Tupe’d over to Morans, and had everything changed, although the ones that managed to wangle their way onto the extra cushy numbers in the office in the Arla days, were still there when I was last in at the time.

Example:

There was a run that had 16 drops around Leeds using an urban trailer, and it was always staffed by an agency driver, never a staff driver. I should know as I did it often enough.

My guess is, that a lot of the original staff drivers, are no longer there.

Ken.