Middlesbrough hauliers

Me dad worked for Brunskill, was there till the end. Did a mix of both tipper and flat work, mainly around all the steel works on Teeside and up Consett.

M.T&E (middlesbrough transport & Eng) owned by Crossley ,also took over Teesside Carriers.all gone now .used to be in Douglas st. Middlesbrough, then moved to Eaglescliffe Yarm to one of their brickyards.

I’m pleased this thread has finally taken off after a slow start (2009) :smiley: :smiley:
Let’s hope the word goes round and some good pics turn up.
I will get onto my pal Gil and see if he has any more pics I can borrow.
Regards Kev.

Earlier on this thread someone mentioned Lackenby Steel Works which brought back vivid memories of an unfortunate incident which occured there in 1977. Early one morning I had left my yard in my F88- OFH 572R and almost new 40’ Crane Freuhauf flat trailer and travelled to Panteg in South Wales to load a 17 ton ingot for delivery to Lackenby later that day. After loading I returned to the yard and changed over with one of my drivers (Chris Beal who later moved to York and drove for Ploughmans and Machins) .Although I would have had time to deliver the ingot I had other things to do. Carried on with what I was doing thinking all was well - how wrong can you be? I received a phone call later that afternoon from Chris and he said" your trailer is zb*!ed" I asked him what he meant and he continued to explain . It transpired that he had arrived at Lackenby and weighed in and proceeded to where he was to unload. Having unchained he backed in under the gantry crane which was going to unload the ingot with a scissor grip. Those of you having done the job will know that this was a cantilever affair, the principle being that the more it lifted the tighter it gripped. Now I would have thought even with my limited knowledge that it would be prudent to lift the ingot a minimal height above the bed ,tram it sideways then lift and trolley it to it’s destination. Not this crane operator, he decided to elevate the ingot to about 15 to 20 feet above the bed and then take it away .Fortunately Chris being constantly aware of the benefits of self preservation kept a safe distance from this precarious operation. Suddenly the ingot fell out of the grip and the effect of dropping a 17 ton solid mass from such a height transformed my beautiful trailer into a huge banana! And would you believe that BSC denied responsibilty claiming that the trailer had arrived like that - how on earth it could have got from Panteg to Lackenby in that state one can only wonder! Chris then went down to Sherburn in Elmet and borrowed a trailer from my dear friend Alwyn Moxon (RIP) and returned to Lackenby to collect the wreeckage ,although when I finally saw it it should have remained there and been melted down. It just goes to show that every morning when you wake up - if you are lucky enough to wake up, you never know what fate awaits you.After many months of wrangling BSC finally admitted that it was their fault and I received payment but in the meantime I had bought a replacement trailer yet had waited months for my compensation! Oh the trials and tribulations of being a struggling small Haulage Contractor!

I saw the exact same thing happen at Dalzell , made a right mess of one of Prestons trailers, i used to sit in the cab while being tipped but after watching that i made sure to be well out of the way on future visits

I’m Sure it was Lackenby where the loading shovel caught the top rail of one of our tipping trailers and split the side open virtually to the bottom.
The managers were out taking lots of photos and their insurance paid for the repair.

Interesting reading of the mishap you had in 1977 LD, in 1977 for @ 6 months I drove for a local firm (Bob Durhams) and did a few ingots and ingot moulds into Lackenby, these were usually brought up by night trunkers and some days I would tip a few. Anyway first time I did it I was told in no certain terms NOT to sit in the cab and stand well away from the vehicle so we could watch the crane and only get back in the cab when the crane had moved well away. I of course asked why, (I was a bit green then) the reply was that one had been dropped onto and written off a nearly new trailer a week or two previous. 37 years later I’m now thinking this must have been your ‘bad day’!! Regards, Mizzo.

Laurie Dryver:
Earlier on this thread someone mentioned Lackenby Steel Works which brought back vivid memories of an unfortunate incident which occured there in 1977. Early one morning I had left my yard in my F88- OFH 572R and almost new 40’ Crane Freuhauf flat trailer and travelled to Panteg in South Wales to load a 17 ton ingot for delivery to Lackenby later that day. After loading I returned to the yard and changed over with one of my drivers (Chris Beal who later moved to York and drove for Ploughmans and Machins) .Although I would have had time to deliver the ingot I had other things to do. Carried on with what I was doing thinking all was well - how wrong can you be? I received a phone call later that afternoon from Chris and he said" your trailer is zb*!ed" I asked him what he meant and he continued to explain . It transpired that he had arrived at Lackenby and weighed in and proceeded to where he was to unload. Having unchained he backed in under the gantry crane which was going to unload the ingot with a scissor grip. Those of you having done the job will know that this was a cantilever affair, the principle being that the more it lifted the tighter it gripped. Now I would have thought even with my limited knowledge that it would be prudent to lift the ingot a minimal height above the bed ,tram it sideways then lift and trolley it to it’s destination. Not this crane operator, he decided to elevate the ingot to about 15 to 20 feet above the bed and then take it away .Fortunately Chris being constantly aware of the benefits of self preservation kept a safe distance from this precarious operation. Suddenly the ingot fell out of the grip and the effect of dropping a 17 ton solid mass from such a height transformed my beautiful trailer into a huge banana! And would you believe that BSC denied responsibilty claiming that the trailer had arrived like that - how on earth it could have got from Panteg to Lackenby in that state one can only wonder! Chris then went down to Sherburn in Elmet and borrowed a trailer from my dear friend Alwyn Moxon (RIP) and returned to Lackenby to collect the wreeckage ,although when I finally saw it it should have remained there and been melted down. It just goes to show that every morning when you wake up - if you are lucky enough to wake up, you never know what fate awaits you.After many months of wrangling BSC finally admitted that it was their fault and I received payment but in the meantime I had bought a replacement trailer yet had waited months for my compensation! Oh the trials and tribulations of being a struggling small Haulage Contractor!

I saw the same thing happen at Lackenby, it was the truck tipping in front of me, we were carring 20 ton ingots in from Consett, I could see the scissors weren’t gripping very well they were lifting the ingot just clear of the bed then you had to pull out. On this occasion they lifted it clear I could see it twisting the driver pulled out but it dropped on the rear corner of the trailer causing it to tip over at the rear, before falling to the ground. I refused to let them lift my ingot until the tips had been replaced on the scissors.

kevmac47:

scotstrucker:
nice fella keith, remember him from when he was boss at colorline cargo

That pic was taken at Colorline North Shields. Gil and I worked on traction there, thats his F10 is in the background.
We were waiting to load two trailers that had to be accompanied to Kristiansand. Regards Kev.
Ps I’ve met Keith at the Tyne Tees Run for the last two years, he has an open top Double Decker Bus.

i worked for an aberdeen firm called tyne tee’s express transport and we used too collect mostly pallets of oil gear coming back from sweden/norway for going back too aberdeen. always got a laugh n a cuppa with keith and the guys.

mizzo:
Interesting reading of the mishap you had in 1977 LD, in 1977 for @ 6 months I drove for a local firm (Bob Durhams) and did a few ingots and ingot moulds into Lackenby, these were usually brought up by night trunkers and some days I would tip a few. Anyway first time I did it I was told in no certain terms NOT to sit in the cab and stand well away from the vehicle so we could watch the crane and only get back in the cab when the crane had moved well away. I of course asked why, (I was a bit green then) the reply was that one had been dropped onto and written off a nearly new trailer a week or two previous. 37 years later I’m now thinking this must have been your ‘bad day’!! Regards, Mizzo.

Hi Mizzo. Didn’t expect a reply especially from someone remembering the incident! I well remember Bob Durham, Arthur Sanderson, Prestons of Potto, A Stevens of Gt Ayton and others far too many to mention or even recall as the old grey matter doesn’t function as well as it did!

Tyne Tees 2013 005.JPG

Do these two companys count.
Sadler from Thornaby

Dennis Dixon still running today
Scania Denis Dixon.jpg

yes Stanfield they certainly count,as do Stiller,a lot smaller now and relocated to Aycliffe,Imperial Tankers these was also the ICI fleet operating from the Wilton and Billingham sites Slaters and there will be more when the grey matter warms up!!

I see Sandersons have been mentioned and I think they were taken over by R Durham. I remember that Sandersons did a changeover with S Protheroe Swansea at Fradley near Lichfield int 70s,both running Borderers, so maybe Protheroe belonged to Durhams as well?

Hi joeshell.Imperial took over Gilbraith of Accrington 2or3 yearback and then the took Stiller/Sadlers and then they were taken over themselves by the Hargreaves Group who have just recently sold the tanker operation to Suttons.
Stiller on the carline contract they had.
X reg Volvo FH12 on the Carline contract.jpg

Hello Stanfield, Hargreaves acquired Imperial Tankers in 2007, they had already acquired Gilbraiths and were branding the tankers as Hargreaves. After they bought us out they rebranded all the tanker fleet as Imperial. In 2009 they (Hargreaves) bought what was left of Stiller tankers, (the Sadler name had disappeared by this time). On the 1st of September 2014 Suttons acquired all of Imperial tankers assets. I still work for Imperial as a part time/casual and along with many of my colleagues do not see much of a future with Suttons regardless of wanting it. Regards, Mizzo.

Cheers mizzo,I knew who bought who but not necessarily in what order, thanks again.I see the MD of Suttons tanker division was an ex CPL man.

Hello Stanfield, As I am avoiding all things Sutton who is the ex CPL man■■? Regards, Mizzo.

just a few names that haven’t had a mention so far -

Les Harriman - had one of the 60 tonners at the docks I seem to remember
Cleveland Tankers - part of TDG
Youngs of Stokesley - also bought by TDG
Hargreaves group - had a large fleet of ERF tippers when they had orange livery - same group as Smith & Robinson
Sunters Heavy Haulage - bought by United Transport
Bailee Freight - bought by United Transport
Econofreight
A V Dawson - used to have heavy haul ERF & long nose Scania 146? - shifted NCB shunters around by road
David Fox - still going
Clevestone - tippers and car transporters I think

mizzo:
Hello Stanfield, As I am avoiding all things Sutton who is the ex CPL man■■? Regards, Mizzo.

Hi Mizzo He is called Micheal Cundy and he has been with Sootys since 2005 as HR director but made MD of tanker division 0ct 2014