NE hauliers

Anyone remember some of the M’bro hauliers: Carlisle Bros.,Stockton Haulage,Taylor’s of Teesside,Frank Pinder Transport etc?

I remember some of those you mentioned.There were others who used to sub for Ferrymasters or run out of the Bell terminal for bell Line and Containerships.The only names that come to mind are Bob and John Boal,Mick McCardle and a comic outfit who had several trucks all of which a different colour.Memories ain’t what they used to be.

Gil Carlisle is a good friend of mine, we worked together for about 20 years until I retired in 2012, I was talking to him just last week on the phone. Until this bloody pestilence he was still working part time, he’s a proper workaholic, he’s 73 shortly and can’t wait to get back in the saddle. Regards Kev.
IMG_20200414_204213.jpg

Just remembered Bulmers.Motors always looked smart.

I am certain we already have a North East Thread perhaps this new thread can be moved to it.
J Tarren & Son of Thornaby On Tees FODEN.

Back in the 80’s I started on for F&F Robinson who then immediately turned into Rosier transport. Happy days there with a great bunch of lads. I then moved onto the fledgling Imperial Tankers and had 10 or more great years there too.

the maoster:
Back in the 80’s I started on for F&F Robinson who then immediately turned into Rosier transport. Happy days there with a great bunch of lads. I then moved onto the fledgling Imperial Tankers and had 10 or more great years there too.

maoster,when at Imperial was there a lad called Geoff Inkpin?he nagged me to get a job on Shell,just wondered what happened to him.cheers

Did Brian Rosier used to be the MD of Ferrymasters before he ran F and F.Robinson?

Stanfield wrote; I am certain we already have a North East Thread perhaps this new thread can be moved to it.
That’s correct Stanfield, can’t really see the point in having two threads of the same subject unless one sticks to modern NE companies and the original to Old NE companies! Franky.

joeshell:

the maoster:

maoster,when at Imperial was there a lad called Geoff Inkpin?he nagged me to get a job on Shell,just wondered what happened to him.cheers

I’m familiar with the name of Geoff Inkpin Joe, didn’t know the guy however, I have a feeling that he probably was one of the guys who took the ICI redundancy and moved on before I got there. Dieseldave may know better than I as he worked there too.

Gidders:
Did Brian Rosier used to be the MD of Ferrymasters before he ran F and F.Robinson?

That’s the fella Gidders. Far and away the best boss I’ve ever worked for. Iirc he was instrumental in setting up a container Co too, somebody Davies I think. He sold Rosier transport out to Securicor if my memory serves.

I knew Gil Carlisle very well.Worked for him & his brother,Ernie,for 11 years.I remember that Scania 111 coming brand new (NGR837T).The driver who got it from new,was a lad called Laurie Daly.The company started running down to Spain,for ICI,and the 111 was on the job,along with my motor,a Merc 1626.Gil & Ernie both went their separate ways,& Ernie ran the company,with his dad,as E.Carlisle & Sons.He sold up to The Unwin Group,in 1990,and Ernie emigrated to Australia.Had some good times working there,with some good lads!
I also worked for Stockton Haulage for 10 years,after I left Carlisle’s.(Amongst other Teesside companies I worked for).

Castellon:
I knew Gil Carlisle very well.Worked for him & his brother,Ernie,for 11 years.I remember that Scania 111 coming brand new (NGR837T).The driver who got it from new,was a lad called Laurie Daly.The company started running down to Spain,for ICI,and the 111 was on the job,along with my motor,a Merc 1626.Gil & Ernie both went their separate ways,& Ernie ran the company,with his dad,as E.Carlisle & Sons.He sold up to The Unwin Group,in 1990,and Ernie emigrated to Australia.Had some good times working there,with some good lads!
I also worked for Stockton Haulage for 10 years,after I left Carlisle’s.(Amongst other Teesside companies I worked for).

Laurie
Daly from Guisborough Castellon? If it’s the same lad he used to sub for Rosiers and back in the paper disc days I may have done loads of fish from Colour Line for him to Grimsby on a Sunday. Allegedly :smiley: :smiley: .

Last time I saw him he was a landlord of a Sam Smiths pub in Wetherby.

That’s the lad! The last I heard,as well,was that Laurie had a pub in Wetherby.Before that,he had his own wagon,and did a lot of work for Colour Line.Do you know if he’s still in the pub in Wetherby?

Oh I’m not sure about that, last time I saw him was back in the mid 90’s, but I suppose it’s possible that Laurie is still there.

Thanks for the reply! It’s good to hear about the ‘old’ days working for the hauliers around Teesside.Worked with a lot of good lads,and it would be nice to know how those,who worked for those companies,are getting on.Anyone who knows of,or worked for,Carlisle Bros.,Stockton Haulage,Taylor’s of Teesside,David Fox (pre 1975),Parkway Haulage,Les Harriman etc,etc,would be great to hear your stories.

Castellon:
Thanks for the reply! It’s good to hear about the ‘old’ days working for the hauliers around Teesside.Worked with a lot of good lads,and it would be nice to know how those,who worked for those companies,are getting on.Anyone who knows of,or worked for,Carlisle Bros.,Stockton Haulage,Taylor’s of Teesside,David Fox (pre 1975),Parkway Haulage,Les Harriman etc,etc,would be great to hear your stories.

I’ve been talking to Gil Carlisle this morning,we’ve been friends a very long time, and it’s his birthday today. A couple of names were mentioned, both were owner drivers at Color line during the time I was there, Laurie Daly and Chris Martin, I did hear Laurie was emigrating, but it never happened, I think he went to Wetherby as mentioned. Chris Martin worked as a roadie for a band for a while, but I haven’t heard of him for years. Keith Andrews and Gordon Wragg ex Econofreight, ran the office and yard, also Gordon’s son Brian had a few motors working there.
I will sort out one or two pics I have and post them.

Much appreciated! I was at Econfreight myself,for a time in the early 90’s.Is Gil still doing a bit? Haven’t seen him in over a year.Last time he was doing some part time work for Jentone (Les Harriman’s daughter),on Teesdock.I remember the early days at Carlisle Bros.Gil ran the workshops,& Ernie,his brother ran the haulage side.There were only about 5 or 6 drivers.Was a good job,tho’!