Middle East in the 70's & 80's

Queuing up at the border between Turkey( Cilvegozu) and Syria ( Bab Al-Howa) you can see the lorries queuing right up to the top of the hill, this was a regular place for the kids to watch your lorry mister or else for a little backhander if you left it to walk up to see what was happening, many lorries got their bumpers painted with Arabic writing here as well for another small fee, goodness knows what they wrote!!

Sorry most of my pictures have faded.
Steve

Another poor quality picture, this is down the tap line heading to the mirrors, one dead camel in the left of the picture and a few in front hogging the road!!

Steve

This was the fort half way across the desert between H4 and Turaif, through the sand blowing everywhere you can just make out Malc Watson in front near the fort.

Steve

I’m happy to say I have finally caught up with Malcolm Watson my old boss from 1977/78 who had two Volvo’s running to the middle east for Redcliffe Roadways, we have a lot of catching up to do.
Steve

jj72:
Steve, I’m sure I have a photo of an N12 pulling a Redcliffe’s fridge somewhere in a book - will TRY find it mate…

By the way, is a Kit Kit like a Kit Kat for the Arab markets? :grimacing:

No they have a finger missing :laughing:

A pic of me having a brew, I think we were parked up in the desert between H4 and Turaif around 1977.

Hello Steve (Birdie 4x4) I’ve sent you a private message about FBT 219L.

Dieseldog66:
Hello Steve (Birdie 4x4) I’ve sent you a private message about FBT 219L.

No private message showing in my account.
This is FBT 219L when it was on the Middle East.
Steve

Here it is on the Turkish visa in my old passport.

Birdie4x4:
0Here it is on the Turkish visa in my old passport.

Five of your Iinglesi pounds pleazze

Wheel Nut:

Birdie4x4:
Here it is on the Turkish visa in my old passport.

Five of your Iinglesi pounds pleazze

Do you take American Express Arbi. :wink:

Ah, the Kirmize Dozvolla…( The Red Permit)

davemackie:
Do you mean this one.
Dave.

Don’t you get a bit (z.b.) off when you see a great old photo like this with the words Photobucket scrawled right across it. :imp:
So I was thinking, if anybody like myself who happened to download some of the original photos onto their computer then why don’t we start reshowing them. There are many classic photos on Trucknet that were shown over ten years ago so a lot of the newer members might of missed them or they have reappeared with a photo hosting sites logo spoiling the picture. A lot of the lads have sadly passed away but I am sure that they would be pleased to know that their old photos of trucks and places are still as interesting now as they were when they took them.

I endorse your sentiments entirely Steve. Photobucket has decimated the majority of early photos here on Trucknet. Many will never be seen again without that accursed wording across them as many of the people who originally posted them are no longer with us. Even where the photo is still in its original state I doubt if anyone will bother posting it. It seems to me there are very few people left on Trucknet interested in the anecdotes and stories relating to ‘our time’ for that to happen unlike F/B where many of the old timers reside and join in.

Anyway rant over. I like the old photo showing the main road through Civre. It was taken a couple of years before mine but conditions hadn’t changed one bit.

ps. Just blown up a section of my photo which shows a cow walking down the main street and also note the bent and buckled electricity pole in the road at the rear of the lorry.

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 08.43.04.png

Hello Brian, the top photo with the Dayson’s truck was posted by a Trucknet member called Klunk from ■■■■■■■■ He posted a series of great photos on here but that one of Civre to me, certainly had an ambience about it just like your two photos so thanks for sharing them.
Klunk also posted a photo of that tunnel that we used go through at Birecik where the kids used to throw stones down on your roof if you didn’t throw something out of your window for them.
I have been searching on Google Earth and I think that this is the place although I am sure that the tunnel was marked 3.8 meters at the time and that it was all fields from the river up to the tunnel forty years ago.

earth.google.com/web/search/Bir … dVZ0cFEQAg

Edit.
This was the tunnel that I was thinking of but I am not sure if this was one of Klunks photo’s, the second photo defiantly was.
And it’s about time Gavin Smith stuck his original photos of Posanti on here. :wink:

Birecek..jpg

41.png
Picture of both his Units sent to me from my old boss Malc Watson.

Hello everyone. I stumbled upon this site by chance.

I was fortunate to drive the Middle East route.

I drove for Archbold International, driving a Fiat 619. My CB radio handle was Vatican Mack.

In one trip I met up with the drivers from Astran International where the BBC were making a documentary. Mostly Scania’s, but for this trip there was one Leyland.

I’ve looked at some of the people who are either posting or being mentioned, and only one name I remember was Joe 90

I’ll try to find some pictures to post.

Two Redcliffe’s pictures recently posted on other sites. NMP.

tachment]

Tony Belcher:
Hello everyone. I stumbled upon this site by chance.

I was fortunate to drive the Middle East route.

I drove for Archbold International, driving a Fiat 619. My CB radio handle was Vatican Mack.

In one trip I met up with the drivers from Astran International where the BBC were making a documentary. Mostly Scania’s, but for this trip there was one Leyland.

I’ve looked at some of the people who are either posting or being mentioned, and only one name I remember was Joe 90

I’ll try to find some pictures to post.

Hi Tony, welcome to Trucknet, if you log in and use the ‘SEARCH’ button on this thread, I think that you will find quite a bit of stuff about Archbold’s and you might even recognise a few names from previous posters.

If you look on the ‘Astran/ Middle East’ thread and the ‘Paul Gee’s Photo Collection’ thread, then I am sure that there are a few photos on there that you will be interested in seeing.

I have only just found out that they are now on The Birch Industrial Estate near Heywood, so every day is like a school day on here.

archbold.co.uk/corporate-history

Photo courtesy of Paul C. Gee.

2017-07-01 14.24.49.jpg