Middle East 1960,s

Any one remember" John McNeil " transport Glasgow, who used to do Middle East Work in the 1960,s my brother in law,
Robert (Rab) Thomson used run for them.

Hi Owen.I remember McNeil of Glasgow,but as i remember them it was round about 1975 when they went to ME with a lot of trucks for a short time.If my memory is ok they were dark blue and i even remember seeing an F86 one time.I Think,like a lot of companies at that time they had a lot of problems with inexperienced drivers and of course the bad Winter of 75\76 was hard for everyone.Mike

Hi Mike yes your right 70,s not 60,s blue wagons, me and my mates use to stand on the Govan Rd Glasgow on a friday night and watch them leave and wonder about the how far they would go Cheers Owen

Hi Owen, they also had a few F88’s on hire from Salford van hire and on one occasion i met a driver of theirs in watford gap services, with a rental day cabbed big j, he had all his food and other gear stowed in the passenger footwell and seat and was on his way to Tehran.
There was a tale going the rounds at one time of several of their drivers going on strike in Yugoslavia and some one going out there to sort the problem out. But by the time they reached Istanbul they had spent all their running money, but i cant remember what the outcome was.
Regards Jamie.

A Scot Lost in the valley’s.

Used to see them on the A74&M6 in the late 60s/70s when they started going over it was mainly 86s / 88s then they started hiring a few from Heron Truck Rental mainly Crusaders. Turkey or one of those countries put a fuel tax on overnight and by that time McNeil must have had a few motors on it as he had to fly out personally and stay at a border to pay the extra as the drivers would have been short approx.14 motors on the way out and the same coming back so it had amounted to a fair old figure. Heron Truck Rental were well ■■■■■■■ with Millburn Motors who were the Leyland dealers.
Eddie.

I can remember them from Maryhill in the 50/60s, In 1960 one of their 6 wheeler Leyland rigids missed a gear on the Lion Bank heading south, It ran backover down the bank & the driver tried to reverese into the lane on the right hand side but sadley the wagon overturned onto its side, The load of margarine was still intact although the sheet was torn a little bit, but the load didn’t come out of the sheets, Looking back now it must have been a good bit of sheeting & roping to say the least, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
I can remember them from Maryhill in the 50/60s, In 1960 one of their 6 wheeler Leyland rigids missed a gear on the Lion Bank heading south, It ran backover down the bank & the driver tried to reverese into the lane on the right hand side but sadley the wagon overturned onto its side, The load of margarine was still intact although the sheet was torn a little bit, but the load didn’t come out of the sheets, Looking back now it must have been a good bit of sheeting & roping to say the least, Regards Larry.

Larry mate,
Have you been tippling that Double Malt again ? Did the driver manage to get reloaded and deliver the load to the Middle East ? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Archie.

Archie old chap this was long before they were running over the water, I just thought I would mention my memes of The McNiel Transport as I knew them , They had quite a lot of motors in those days, & I used to have lots of crack in the old long gone Cotesgates Café on Beattock with their drivers all Jocks of course but they could understand the old Gordie lingo, Happy long gone days Eh, Regards Larry