McVEIGH & HUMBER McVEIGH

LordDerby:

240 Gardner:
Described as one of a batch of 30, a brand new Atkinson ‘Silver Knight’ tractor:

McVeigh by Gardner 8LXB, on Flickr

Described as one of a batch of 30, a brand new Atkinson ‘Silver Knight’ tractor: with 240 Gardner engine. I cannot believe Mc Veigh took delivery of sum thirty tractor units with 240 engines.

When I started Boston depot we had mainly Atkinsons Units a Couple of E.R.F.s with 240 Gardners and 4 Volvo’s with day cabs, ex Lowestoft Depot. Had I have known about these 30 Atkinsons with 240 Gardners being in the general fleet, I would have been after (those like a rat up a drain pipe) Units for Boston Depot, all the shunters we had, had 150 Gardners and the Road Atkinsons had 180 Gardners, all Atkinsons were very good work horses and very economical on fuel. Having said that it was the Gardner Engine that gave the fuel economy. Terry Bowler

The post is by 240 Gardner :neutral_face: The Atkinson in the photo has a 6-cylinder Gardner you can tell by the crash bar mounts they are through the rad outer trim
they would be in a diffrent location it it had a 8LXB fitted. :neutral_face: :slight_smile: looking at the mirror location its before the 8lxb was fitted to Atkinsons :neutral_face:

8LXBV8BRIAN:

LordDerby:

240 Gardner:
Described as one of a batch of 30, a brand new Atkinson ‘Silver Knight’ tractor:

McVeigh by Gardner 8LXB, on Flickr

Described as one of a batch of 30, a brand new Atkinson ‘Silver Knight’ tractor: with 240 Gardner engine. I cannot believe Mc Veigh took delivery of sum thirty tractor units with 240 engines.

When I started Boston depot we had mainly Atkinsons Units a Couple of E.R.F.s with 240 Gardners and 4 Volvo’s with day cabs, ex Lowestoft Depot. Had I have known about these 30 Atkinsons with 240 Gardners being in the general fleet, I would have been after (those like a rat up a drain pipe) Units for Boston Depot, all the shunters we had, had 150 Gardners and the Road Atkinsons had 180 Gardners, all Atkinsons were very good work horses and very economical on fuel. Having said that it was the Gardner Engine that gave the fuel economy. Terry Bowler

The post is by 240 Gardner :neutral_face: The Atkinson in the photo has a 6-cylinder Gardner you can tell by the crash bar mounts they are through the rad outer trim
they would be in a diffrent location it it had a 8LXB fitted. :neutral_face: :slight_smile: looking at the mirror location its before the 8lxb was fitted to Atkinsons :neutral_face:

Impressed at how they sent this new lorry out to pick up a trailer before fitting the number plate, passenger side mirror & wipers, but they did manage to put the badges on the grille !!!

There’s nearly always a salesman posing behind the wheel in his suit and tie, not the bloke who’s going to spend half his life in it.

It is with great sadness that I have to announce the passing of my Grandfather Geoff Hallam, after a short illness, aged 87.

My Grandfather was MD of Humber Warehousing and then Humber McVeigh Transport during their 1960s and 1970s heyday. He loved the fact this forum had cropped up, loved reading the stories of the old days and was thrilled that through he managed to get in touch with several people that he had lost touch with.

I will be posting funeral details in due course, but the family would dearly love to see as many of you as possible from the Humber days attend.

Best Wishes,

Mike Hallam
on behalf of the Hallam Family

Hi,

Further to my post yesterday, I just wanted to post details of Geoff Hallam’s Funeral which will be held on Wed 9th December at St. Pius Church Grimsby at 1.30pm

St. Pius Church
Chelmsford Avenue
Grimsby
North East Lincolnshire
DN34 5DD

The family would like to see as many faces from the old days of Humber’s there as possible

Mike Hallam
on behalf of the Hallam family

LordDerby:
Humber McVeigh ALFORD Depot Closes

Alford Depot Closes all the Men were finished on 7th August 1976 but the depot was Closed and all the rolling stock moved to Grimsby altogether on Saturday 14th August 1976. The Chairman of the works committee played straight into Managements Hands, by calling a strike, once that was over, the Depot was Closed and everybody including the Depot Management were made redundant

Alford Depot Drivers Roll Call
John Campling, Vic Webb, Alan Houghton, Derek Cod, Giles Dixon, Maurice Dickinson, Fred Dale, Dennis Dale, Bill Thompson, Ted Dowlman, Jock Sinclair , Bill Handly, Frank Elsey, Alec Blackburn, Ray Bosworth, Terry Bowler, Gerald Taylor, Phillip Duke, Sandy Erskin, George Johnson, Roy Rushworth, Gordon White, Ray Hazel , Arthur Ireland, Tony Smith, Paul Nicolson, Big Roy Overton, Pete Smith, Alan Scarborough, Ingolf, Tom Paisey, Jeff Longdon, Curly Allbones, Geoff Mullingar, The YANK, Kinginy, Ray Lane, John Thornally, John (Pinky) Brown,
John Spece and Peter Spece

Do you know or remember any of these chaps, past and present all good men one and all.

Many thanks to Mr John Campling of Alford Depot, for helping me find all the names above.

Terry Bowler - Alford & Boston Depots

I knew Ray Bosworth when he drove a Ford D Series for Swifts out of the old HMV depot at Boston in the early eighties. Chris Kenny was also there, I think he was also an ex Humber driver out of Boston. Dennis Yardy, M.D. of Swifts held you in high regard Terry

part-time-trucker:
Good Morning.

A bit of a digression, but I worked at Unispeed from 1972 to 1975, based in the Portacabin in Hartford Motors’ yard.

We had a number of Birds Eye contract lorries transferred across from Humber Warehousing, among others. I recognise some of the names on El Griffo’s list; Dave Pearce, Syd Clayden, Ronnie Johnson, Les Collishaw, George Haines, Dave Blakey. And if the lorries were EEE 260D through to EEE 268D there was Jack Taylor, Jimmy Fellowes, Jimmy Ackers and Tommy Coles. And if I remember Fred Wilkin correctly he bought one of the first Range Rovers (in Willow Green?). He gave me a short lift in it once. I had never been in anything like it!

Interesting times,

Kind regards,
PTT

Hi, I realise that it’s quite some time since this was posted, but my Dad was Sid Clayden (Cigarette Sid) and one of the drivers who moved to Unispeed from Granville Street, along with other drivers and their Birds Eye trucks. I used to cycle to both depots every week to collect his wages. I would love to see any old photos he may be on. Thanks.

Can anyone put me right about the origins of McVeigh Transport Salford and its transition to Humber McVeigh to help me with my research, any pics of McVeigh would be of great help

Heres a McVeigh sales brochure and a couple of pictures, the Atkinsons are parked in Grimsby and are McVeigh’s, the 88s are Humber McVeigh.

img099.jpg

img098.jpg
I will try and find some more.

Many thanks Rikki, wow, great stuff, i had not seen any of this material before :smiley:

billheads:
Can anyone put me right about the origins of McVeigh Transport Salford and its transition to Humber McVeigh to help me with my research, any pics of McVeigh would be of great help

hi billheads,

I drove for HM Salford from 1972-1976,180 Gardner in an Atkinson,Frank Jackson[RIP] was Foreman,I remember most of the drivers.
In furtherance of your question,when I joined them,they were already HM,although I remember the change seemed quite recent from McVeigh’s to HM,I also remember Salford taking on the Pilsbury Dough contract at Skelmersdale,good times!
When they went belly up,started with Smith of Maddiston,in Cheetham Hill Manchester,also good times!

Rgds,

David :laughing:

If my memory serves me right i am sure they had a depot in Lowestoft. :question:

My wifes grandad drove for Mcveighs from Hull, His name was Ben Caird

McVeigh was originaly a small company from Grimsby. The main haulage contractor in Grimsby at that time was Parrots, Parrots haulage had most of the work in the area, including all of Peter Dixons paper mill work prior to them operating there own lorries. When nationalisation came along Alf Parrot decided to have no more to do with transport and bought the Oaklands hotel leaving McVeighs to managed BRS Grimsby. After nationalisation McVeighs carried on but with all of the pre nationalisation work of Parrots and other nationalised companys. They then went on to buy out smaller struggling companies and expanded to quite a large company. The Humber part comes from a company called Humber Wharehousing, which I belive started in a small village in Lincolnshire called Cammeringham, they expanded and moved to Killingholme before eventualy being based in Grimsby.

img198.jpg

img201.jpg

img125.jpg

steptoe:
McVeigh was originaly a small company from Grimsby. The main haulage contractor in Grimsby at that time was Parrots, Parrots haulage had most of the work in the area, including all of Peter Dixons paper mill work prior to them operating there own lorries. When nationalisation came along Alf Parrot decided to have no more to do with transport and bought the Oaklands hotel leaving McVeighs to managed BRS Grimsby. After nationalisation McVeighs carried on but with all of the pre nationalisation work of Parrots and other nationalised companys. They then went on to buy out smaller struggling companies and expanded to quite a large company. The Humber part comes from a company called Humber Wharehousing, which I belive started in a small village in Lincolnshire called Cammeringham, they expanded and moved to Killingholme before eventualy being based in Grimsby.

Interesting

Heres one of Humbers thats sorted out a viva.

andy66:
If my memory serves me right i am sure they had a depot in Lowestoft. :question:

They certainly did have a depot in Lowestoft Andy, firstly in Wolaston Rd. then a purpose built yard in the S. Lowestoft Ind. Estate, Tower Rd. I think. When they started they were called Humber Warehousing then after the merge they became Humber McVeigh. They did a lot of work out of the CWS canning factory as did several other local hauliers,also fish down to Billingsgate.
When they packed up around the mid '70s the company I was with, LG Perfect of Gt.Yarmouth, “snapped up” their transport manager, Stan Jackson, who brought with him a lot of Humber’s work. Stan had contacts everywhere and wherever a driver phoned in from there was a load for him from not too far away, a very efficient man. Regards, Haddy.

5thwheel:

billheads:

hi billheads,

I drove for HM Salford from 1972-1976,180 Gardner in an Atkinson,Frank Jackson[RIP] was Foreman,I remember most of the drivers.
In furtherance of your question,when I joined them,they were already HM,although I remember the change seemed quite recent from McVeigh’s to HM,I also remember Salford taking on the Pilsbury Dough contract at Skelmersdale,good times!
When they went belly up,started with Smith of Maddiston,in Cheetham Hill Manchester,also good times!

Rgds,

David :laughing:

Many Thanks David, most appreciated

andy66:

Thank you andy66 and jonb

steptoe:

Amazing info Steptoe, i was under the impression that McVeigh was a Salford Company and acquired by Ross Group before it became Humber Warehousing