Anglo Danish Food Transport

Hello, as I am new to this website and forum I hope any errors (if any) will be overlooked by the “professionals” within said forum.
I used to work for Anglo Danish Foods along with my father back in the 1970’s and yes to the member who elaborated somewhat as to the owner being a Joe McVeigh. We (my father and I) also worked for him at Humber Warehousing in Granville St Grimsby and his original company McVeigh Transport (or haulage?) had their yard at the end of Convamore Road if i’m not mistaken?
We left the employ of Anglo Danish in 1975 and emmigrated to Canada where we live now.
Peter G. Mooney. Oshawa, Ontario, L1J 4C1, CANADA

Your quite right, Itwas the D B C. The old depot is still there at North Shields, it is just below Cobble Dene as it was called in those days , the road has altered to a great extent, When it was operating they had ERFs, & Marsden Freight Services used to do a bit for them, They had a Atki tractor unit with forks on so it could tip the trailers etc. Prior to DBC Opening this depot, the bacon was off loaded on Newcastle Quayside 17 shed & also 9 shed, it was in hessian wrappers in those days & had 2 pigs in each one, 15/16 stone in weight, mostley hand ball deliveries, get in there Eh the happy days long gone, even the bloody bacon dosent taste they same, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Your quite right, Itwas the D B C. The old depot is still there at North Shields, it is just below Cobble Dene as it was called in those days , the road has altered to a great extent, When it was operating they had ERFs, & Marsden Freight Services used to do a bit for them, They had a Atki tractor unit with forks on so it could tip the trailers etc. Prior to DBC Opening this depot, the bacon was off loaded on Newcastle Quayside 17 shed & also 9 shed, it was in hessian wrappers in those days & had 2 pigs in each one, 15/16 stone in weight, mostley hand ball deliveries, get in there Eh the happy days long gone, even the bloody bacon dosent taste they same, Regards Larry.

Like me Larry you have given your age away , I can remember the bacon being landed at Leith docks for Scottish customer`s ,this was until DBC moved over to containers the bacon and Lurpak butter job was lost to the North East . I certainly remember hand ball deliveries ( I wonder how todays drivers would cope !!! ) ,I also remeber the brine running out of the bales which could be very painful to any cuts etc on your hands .

Well now I remember when Newcastle Dockers were on strike & their Danish boat was redirected to Lieth Docks, I worked for Baxters Road Services in those days , it was earley 60 when this occured & we ran from Glasgow to load the bacon, the difference in loading was quite different from Newcastle Quay where they used mobile cranes, at Lieth we used to pull the bales up with hooks & ropes, quite primitive I thought, but the dockers were good & wanted to get the tonnage out so It worked out OK.Regards Larry.

As a follow up to my last post , the first time I ever came across JC Finney of Manchester was on the bacon job , I think the bacon was shipped from Denmark and sold while still at sea and also shortly after being landed , what was not sold in Scotland was I think was taken to DBC Manchester by Finneys on a weekly basis from Leith . I can well remember all their drivers wearing cloth caps , green boiler suits and clogs , a great crowd of drivers . One of the drawbacks to this job was the brine running from the bacon onto the chassis area of the truck and caused damage similar to that of trucks carrying fish , the company I worked for supplied all drivers with old sheets to place on the floor before loading to help with the problem .

I remember Danish Bacon lorries running along the M62 in the `70s i dont know if its the same company but they had Mandators with short tandem trailers i think the units were red and white

I Had 5 years with DBC in the late 90’s at their Brentwood depot delivering into London every day . Was hard work all barrows and stairs. Sadly I heard a couple of weeks ago that the Administrators had been called in . Another one gone .

I used to deliver to the DBC at Carlisle, & Kendal, this was in the 50/60s, The one at Carlisle on Port Rd, a tiny wharehouse, but a good tip, the Kendal one was in Colin Croft, then they moved onto the Mintsfeet Ind. Est. I dont know if they are still there perhaps not, things have changed over the years as we all know, Happy Days, Regards Larry.

I USED TO SUBBIE FOR ANGLO DANISH OUT OF HULL & GRIMSBY 18 FOOT SINGLE AXLE TRAILERS THEN LATER 30 FOOT TANDEMS GREAT JOB USED TO DROP FULL TRAILER AT CUSTOMERS PICK EMPTY UP AND AWAY BACK

danish bacon company ( dbc ) was a different company to anglo danish. anglo danish delivered to dbc they had depots all over the country . anglo started mid 60s with lad cabbed leyland badged albions . in grimsby office later was johnny johnson bill higgins pete artist & paul johnson

Hi, All
As stated Danish Bacon was a different company to Anglo-Danish.
Anglo-Danish set up by Joe McVeigh in Grimsby, ran mostly Albion units with short (18 to 20 foot ) single axle trailers, painted red and white.
They later acquired some tandem axle trailers for 30 foot boxes and pulled them with a variety of Seddon Atkinsons and AEC Mandators.
Famously known in the North Lincs area as the “Flying Pigs”.

Cheers Bassman

doubleteabag49:
Hello, as I am new to this website and forum I hope any errors (if any) will be overlooked by the “professionals” within said forum.
I used to work for Anglo Danish Foods along with my father back in the 1970’s and yes to the member who elaborated somewhat as to the owner being a Joe McVeigh. We (my father and I) also worked for him at Humber Warehousing in Granville St Grimsby and his original company McVeigh Transport (or haulage?) had their yard at the end of Convamore Road if i’m not mistaken?
We left the employ of Anglo Danish in 1975 and emmigrated to Canada where we live now.

I should know you we used to do the trailers out of hull and grimsby from 72 onwards with little seddon units then scanias 18 foot single axle trailers looked strange behind a 111 to start with

Does anybody remember Anglo Danish Food Transport of Grimsby (also had depots in Colchester and North Shields). The gaffer “Joe McVeigh” also owned Humber McVeigh of Grimsby. Anglo Danish was swallowed up by DFDS Transport and Humber McVeigh eventually became ACS & T.

I do, wasn’t that the Danish Bacon Company?
I also remember McVeigh before it was merged with Humber Warehousing and it was them who gave me the load of rowing boats from Hull to Minehead I mentioned some time ago.
They (McVeigh) used to run blue and white motors if I remember it right :confused: , and I loaded with one of their drivers in Velindre one night. He had a brand new Ergomatic cab just after they came out and thought the little lidded slots under the quarterlights were ashtrays. The first time he put the demister on it looked like a blizzard in the cab :laughing: :laughing:

Salut. David.

I seem to remember seeing a lot of motors on the 18/180 when we were doing a lot of steel out of Immingham in the early 80’s, They were something to do with Danish Bacon and I think some were seddon acks, with shortish trailers. Is my memory duff as per usual? :laughing:

allan henrickson:

doubleteabag49:

I should know you we used to do the trailers out of hull and grimsby from 72 onwards with little seddon units then scanias 18 foot single axle trailers looked strange behind a 111 to start with

I remember Anglo Danish transport really well. I worked at the time for the Danish food centre and they used to store stuff at the Grimsby depot. I knew terry mcveigh (I think he was joe’s son?), mel carot, Alan Blanchard and various others. I used to go to Grimsby regularly to stock take (late 70s, early 80s) and used to really enjoy it. Happy days! When did they cease trading?

I worked for Anglo Danish at North Shields for several years,we had AEC mercury units with one mandator then we got ERF b series tractors with gardener 180s then roller 265s. The depot manager was Wally Moscrop,ex RAF. With characters like Gordon Smiles, Brian Stoneman ,Peter Rubery ,Peter Ridley as drivers there was always some good crack. I remember a lot of the Grimsby drivers as well as the office staff. Good days

Their depot at Cobble Dene is still there but it is in a dericlect state, I will get a photo of it next week, & post it, Regards Larry.

Their yard in Grimsby on Estate Rd 2 is run by Quayside Distribution now. I’ve done some agency work out of there recently and it’s sad to see the old garages derilict and the drivers rest room used to store junk. That rest room was where I would sit quietly and listen to my dad and the likes of Albert Goodard,Dennis Newcombe, Bob Flatman, billy Abel, and many others tell their stories. Does anybody remember Mo Stringfellow? He died in a smash in the early 80’s. He was a good bloke, think a tipper stopped in front of him on the M62 roadworks and he ran up the back of it in a day cab ERF B series, killed him outright if I remember right… I was only a kid so I may have it a bit wrong.

I remember Mo and the accident, Terry Mcveiegh vowed he would buy only safety cabs after that,the shop steward At the time Jim Sadler reminded him of this with every batch of new motors. This was when we started to get the seddon Atkins and scanias. We had an ERF driven by Brian Amin jack knife and turn over on cobble dean, the cab was facing the sky when it went up in flames and the chassis melted and ended up like a u bolt,I think the reg was lfu 387r. Brian was off with a bad back for a while but was ok in the long term I think.