Geoff Whitfield

Can anyone remember an East Yorkshire haulage contractor called Geoff Whitfield? He used to run a Foden in the 70’s.

jackfrost:
Can anyone remember an East Yorkshire haulage contractor called Geoff Whitfield? He used to run a Foden in the 70’s.

Aye I can remember him he ran out of BOCM Wincolmlee in Hull His brother Ted worked for F.Short & Son Ltd, Oxford Street just along the road from BOCM, His other brother was David the singer, I spoke to him a few times when I was tipping bagged wheatfeed from Spillers at Newcastle, The good old days Eh, Regards Larry.

Your right there Larry they were the good old days! I met Geoff when I was a boy.I spent alot of time riding in the lorry with my Dad who worked for Barkers & Lee Smith of Lincoln and Geoff was a regular there bringing in raw materials.I remember my Dad saying David was his brother.Ah Wincolmlee…I spent many happy hours there with my Dad loading Linseed Flakes out of Barkers Oil Mill and “Kositos” Flaked Maize out of Pauls.
Regards Paul.

Pure torture them cwt sacks of linseed flakes like sandpapering your neck carrying them on your shoulder,still hated loading them even on pallets out of wincolmlee,truck must have been 10 foot wide way bags used to hang over side of pallets!ta,Pete

I never actually handled any Pete but I can remember my Dad saying the same about hessian sack’s,I think he used to wear a hood to stop them chaffing.When I used to go there with him in the 70’s they were loaded down a chute in the mill,they were in brown paper bag’s with the barkers logo printed on them with the slogan “better feed barkers”,I think they weighed something like 112 or 116lbs. I can remember my Dad having to back into a very tight doorway stopping the traffic on Wincolmlee as he was doing so then pulling across the road to the yard opposite to sheet and rope down.When he was loaded the next port of call was “The Wembley” cafe on the A63.Like Larry said mate good old days!Regards Paul.

They was still in hessian sacks when i loaded in late 80’s from wincolmlee[think it was pauls then?]also out of BOCM selby,ta,Pete

I think I only picked up there once when I worked at Pauls.I was based at Pauls-Shepshed from 1989-2009 and yes if I remember right they were in hessian sack’s.Chambers & Fargus was another one I used to pick up from too and yeah BOCM Selby was another one my Dad used to frequent in the 70’s,they had a canteen where you could get a breakfast for near enough nowt! Thanks Pete Regards Paul.

jackfrost:
I think I only picked up there once when I worked at Pauls.I was based at Pauls-Shepshed from 1989-2009 and yes if I remember right they were in hessian sack’s.Chambers & Fargus was another one I used to pick up from too and yeah BOCM Selby was another one my Dad used to frequent in the 70’s,they had a canteen where you could get a breakfast for near enough nowt! Thanks Pete Regards Paul.

Aye I can remember loading there with Linseed Flake it used to come up a conveyer.They were a canny set of lads that used put the bags on they spaced them out so you loaded at a steady pace, I used to put a clean bag folded over on my head to stop the dust and chaffing etc, The other good thing was you could stay there overnight in the drivers room but you had to be quick & get you sleeping bag & pillow laid out on the bench seats to claim your space, They were the days , Never a dull moment, Then up to Ranks at Gateshead & offload into a hole in the wall, all in a days work, Regards Larry.

It was hard graft in those day’s Larry!The foreman used to be called ■■■■ a fairly tall chap and a bit of a character,can you remember him?

jackfrost:
It was hard graft in those day’s Larry!The foreman used to be called ■■■■ a fairly tall chap and a bit of a character,can you remember him?

Vaguely, The old gray cells are a bit slow, But as I said before they were a canny set of blokes, Better than some mills I used to go to EG,Spillers Ranks , Regards Larry.